Recovery - when hitting the gym hard

Options
I have to hit it hard until next Monday to get the pts that I need for the challenge at my gym. I'm only 2 days in and I'm so sore!

Any tips on muscle recovery? I just read an article that mentions Blueberries, chocolate milk and heat pads. It also mentioned to avoid ice baths. Any input?

Replies

• brigg9
    brigg9 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My first thought outside of food - Get sufficient sleep. I mean a solid 8+ hours a night if you can. That's down time for your body to repair.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, use heat pads and have someone massage your sore areas. :smile:
  • baxyboy
    baxyboy Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Would definitely second the "drink lots of water" - hydration is the biggest thing for me... if I've been to the gym at lunchtime at work or run on my treadmill at home, I always try to make sure I drink plenty of water (and/or diluted fruit juice) for the rest of the day.
  • dougnic17
    Options
    I have found that Pepsom Sports Spearmint (Epsom Salt) in a warm bath helps my recovery from heavy lifting.
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    Drink lots of water, eat plenty of protein, take multi-vitamin, can also take BCAA vitamins to aid in recovery. Also get plenty of rest.
  • kmp411
    kmp411 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Stretch
  • Jacquierose
    Options
    Discovered the hot tub at the gym today - now that felt awesome. :)
  • Cslicemarie
    Options
    I've been doing my post workout stretching in the sauna at the gym. Heaven!
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    also take BCAA vitamins to aid in recovery.

this