Salads and salad dressing!

Options
I love salads that are filling, not just lettuce with lemon juice.
Looking for new salad ideas or salad dressings!
thanks!

Replies

• nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I will be following this. I love me some salads, but these dressings are so dang fattening. And the fat free ones are nasty as all get out. Ideas. We need some!
  • jmsuciu
    Options
    I mix 1 tablespoon of fat free ranch with 1 tablespoon of honey bbq sauce and it's delicious. And not that many calories either :)
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    i'd love some new salad ideas!

i'm a big fan of the Seeds of Change pasta sauces and i simply add a tablespoon (approx 12 calories for Tomato and Garlic) or 2 - although it can make lettuce a little sticky

i'm also into rice salads at the moment, with pieces of chicken and some stir-fried vegetables like courgettes, peppers and red onion

i take salad a lot for lunch though so some new ideas would be great :)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    When I make a salad I typically use two different kinds of lettuce (green leaf and romaine), shredded cheese, celery, carrots, cooked and crumbled bacon, salt/pepper, some hot sauce and 1T of regular Ranch. And sometimes I add french fried onions or slivers of almonds. I love the hot sauce mixed with Ranch! And I typically have crackers or bread with it. Nothing fancy, but yummy!
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Homemade Buttermilk Ranch -- It's awesome -- usually around 60 or 70 calories for 1/4 cup dressing...

Ingredients
    Fat Free Sour Cream, 12 Tablespoons
    Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt, 6 oz
    Light Mayonnaise, 12 tbsp
    Garlic Powder, 1 Tbsp
    Onion Powder, 1 tsp
    Chives - Raw, 1 tbsp chopped
    Flat Leaf Parsley, 1 tbsp
    White Balsamic Vinegar, 1.5 Tbsp
    Lowfat Buttermilk, 2 cup
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I usually pick a regular salad dressing (generally they have less sugar and sodium) and use a tablespoon or two in my salad, and then use balsamic vinegar for extra flavor. Better for you.
  • jared767
    Options
    I was with some friends last night and tried sweetgreen for the first time. I ordered santorini that has chopped romaine, roasted shrimp, feta cheese, grapes, fresh mint, and yogurt dressing with a hint of lemon.

It was deliciiiooouuus!

Was it healthy? cals 440, sodium 830 mg, carbs 29 g, sugar 12 g, protein 25 g

ref: http://www.nutritionix.com/sweetgreen/menu#inPage=3
  • mama1229
    Options
    If you like ranch dressing: Hidden Valley Ranch Mix(powder stuff)[1/2 tsp=5 calories] mixed with a couple T. of Fat Free Sour Cream[2 T.=25-30 calories] or Greek yogurt, my fave [2 T.= 10-12 Calories] and a splash of milk. So good you will barely notice the difference.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Let's see if this copies/pastes:

Market Pantry(Target) - Dried Cranberries, (13g) 1/10 Cup 39 10 0 0 0 1
    Market Pantry - Market Pantry Raspberry Vinaigrette Reduced Fat Light Dressing, 2 tablespoons 50 5 4 0 240 0
    Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cucumber (8-1/4") 23 5 0 1 3 1
    Kirkland - Costco - Canned Chicken Breast (Water), 1.3 ounce 26 0 1 8 176 0
    Olivia's Organics - Spring Mix Lettuce, 2 cups/ 85g 10 3 0 2 60 2
    Grimmway Farms - Carrot Chips, 3 oz 35 8 0 1 65 2
    Libby's - Skinny Fruits Mandarine Oranges Sweetened With Splenda, 1/4 cup ( 122g) 15 4 0 0 0 1
    Pero - Mini Sweet Peppers (Yellow, Red, Orange), 3 peppers 25 5 0 1 0 1

This has been my salad for lunch for the past couple of days! I copied it right from my food diary here.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I usually pick a regular salad dressing (generally they have less sugar and sodium) and use a tablespoon or two in my salad, and then use balsamic vinegar for extra flavor. Better for you.

I do that too. A little fat on your salad helps you absorb the fat soluable vitamins in all those good veggies. I also like just olive oil with balsamic vinegar.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have a salad every day for lunch. I put either low sodium deli turkey or leftover chicken from the night before on it. I use Ken's Smart Options Raspberry Walnut dressing. It's delicious!
  • SparkleDoomPony
    SparkleDoomPony Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I really like using hummus instead of dressing. Mixing hummus into a salad tastes great and makes it a lot more filling that any dressing every could. Gives salads a real "meal" quality.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I put a lot of stuff on my salad ( taco meat, black beans, peppers, etc ) so I usually do 1-2 tbsp of ranch + 1-2tablespoons of salsa or or taco sauce.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    My new thing is to add wheat berries to my salads. They are really yummy with a nutty taste and are full of protein and fiber. Cook them and store cold in the fridge until ready to use.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/hard-red-wheat-berries.html
  • mel425
    mel425 Posts: 5
    Options
    My brother makes the best homemade salad dressing. He uses spicy mustard, balsamic vinegar, and spices like oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, and onion powder. It is delicious and not too high in calories.