Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

spinach salad - hubby says BLEHHHH

2»

Replies

• Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    I quite simply gave up on my ex. He was so picky about everything so I made the decision to cook for myself and he could do his own thing. Ironically, it was at about this time that I started actually losing weight!
  • tiffett
    tiffett Posts: 15 Member
    I have trouble with my hubs eating somethings but never spinach salad! He LOOOOOVES strawberry spinach salad with almonds and a poppyseed dressing. But our favorite is spinach salad with bacon (I know not the best for you!), onions, boiled eggs and mushrooms with a garlic and olive oil dressing. SO good, we could both eat it everyday. Yum yum! There are a ton of salad options with spinach and it is SO good for you.....

My guy likes healthy things but isn't always too keen on new things.... I'm trying to mix it up with healthier choices. He looooves his fried chicken but hated my crispy baked chicken, hmm.... It's a work in progress. ^_^
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    I am not a fan of the spinach/strawberry/walnut salad. To me a spinach salad should have bacon on it! Try that next time ....
  • my hubby is kind of the same way..he cant eat anything without meat...what about adding seasoned chicken to the salad?
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Maybe its the salad dressing? Is there a dressing that you both like? Maybe leave the strawberries of his part of the salad? Salads are so versitle... I know that a lot of people really like fruit on their salads and sweet salad dressings. I don't know what it is but I absolutely cannot stand sweet dressings... I love sweet things, but salad dressing is not one of them... maybe make a basic salad with spinach, veggies and chicken, then you can add strawberries and your dressing to your and he can use a dressing that he likes? Sorry you are having to work so hard to keep everyone happy :(
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    If my wife is cooking, I am eating it. I am one lazy guy. I am not oppossed to eating different things either. The only I will not eat is coconut.
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    We don't have kids at the table, so it's a little easier. But my hubby isn't as fond of spinach as I am. I do love a spinach salad with strawberries & nuts! (some people don't like walnuts - have you tried sunflower & pumpkin seeds?)

Generally we cook together and make considerations for each others tastes. I put more romaine in his bowl than spinach, and vice versa. He gets mushrooms. I don't. That kind of thing.

I never cook a separate meal, but if he wants a potato with his chicken and I prefer my leftover bean salad it's easy to accommodate each other.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    You could do a "salad bar" type thing. Put out a bunch of salad ingredients and let everyone choose what they want. You can also apply the make-your-own approach to stir fries, pizzas, and probably other things I haven't thought of.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    i am not a short order cook, and neither is DH. of course, we don't have any kids (only the furry kind and they don't complain about our food. LOL). so, if i don't like what DH made, i make my own meal. and vise versa. however, most of the time, DH is happy to eat the healthy things i make.
  • The rule in my household is simple: If you do not like what I am preparing then you can prepare your own meal or not eat. I am not unreasonable. I am a vegetarian but my household is not and make an effort to put together menu items where I can easily incorporate meat for others and tofu for myself. But two or three days a week, dinner is vegetarian because of recipe constraints. I am not going to make two or three entirely different meals. I am a busy professional and I don't want to spend my entire evening in the kitchen.

I largely attribute my largest weight gain to just going with the flow and eating what was prepared in the house, whether or not I actually wanted it. I grew up in a house where we ate meat three to four meals a week and ate tons of vegetables, whole grains, lentils and beans. I married an individual who grew up eating meat every single meal and only a few select vegetables, largely potatoes, green beans and corn accompanied by bread. I don't blame him. It was my own fault and I could have at any point made meals myself for the two of us or even made my own meal. I certainly didn't have to get into the routine of heaps eggs, hashbrowns, toast and bacon or sausage every morning and I didn't have to carry those choices when I was alone or traveling. ;) We both embarked on a lifestyle change last year and committed to making some changes together, but each also made personal decisions that were not always meal friendly to the other. And thus, the theory of "if you don't want to eat this, that is fine but you need to take responsibility and feed yourself" entered our household. There are a few basic principles. The dinner cook shares what he or she is preparing PRIOR to cooking. If the other person declines, they share what they will be making as an alternative. Sometimes we go with the alternative for both of us. If not, by having the discussion before we cook, we can each reduce the batch size of our respective dinners. It minimizes waste, we don't have the "I don't like that" argument and frankly, we each get something we want without pissing off the other.

My parents actually used this with me when I was growing up starting at around six years old. I learned how to make basic things with supervision and was responsible for cleaning up after myself as well (I am sure my dad did the dishes a second time after I did them but hey, the lesson was learned LOL!). As a result, I learned to not only eat but LOVE foods with popular social stigma. It isn't to say my parents were unreasonable or even hard on me about it. I don't like tomato sauce on my pasta so my dad would always leave the spaghetti sauce separate so I could put a little butter, garlic and parmesan on my noodles. And I never was forced to eat liver and onions. After I first tried it and found the texture and smell so repulsive, I never complained when my parents made it because I could make mac and cheese or even stir fried veggies and rice. But because I had to put in work if I didn't want something, I was actually more likely to try new things and <gasp> even like them. I did enjoy tofu sandwiches on wheat bread with sprouts for school lunches and spinach salads and roasted brussel sprouts are among my favorite foods.

So anyway, that is what works for us. Even or nieces and nephews know that when they come to visit, if they do not like something there is always an option - but they will actually have to put in the work and help out. ;)