Heart Rate Monitor's (HRM)

Options
I got a HRM for x-mas this year. I started using it, and was dissapointed with the results. The calories burned are not even close. Example: 55 minutes of vigerous cardio 700 calories burned. My HRM said i burned188 or something. I went through the set-up 3 times, that's not an issue. It just generally sucks. I checked the reviews and it got a 3 out of 15 approval rating!!! lol.

Anyways, this topic is a sounding board for what HRM's should be targeted. General information to consider are price, durability, accuracy, and of course satisfaction with the product. Good or bad, i'd like to hear it. Just so i dont get another DUD!

Thank-You in advance.

Replies

• bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I purchasd a Polar FT80 years ago and love it. It was expensive at the time but just what the Dr. ordered.
  • shawn46106
    shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump for more info
  • KCharron20
    Options
    I received a Polar PT7 for X-mas and absolutely love it! Paid about $80 from Amazon!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4 and it works great! It's the watch/chest strap combo, very similar to the Polar brand, but I think some of the higher models of the Polars have more features. The New Balance was just what I wanted and was cheaper than the Polar. Check them both out on Amazon and read the customer reviews - that helped me a lot.

Very curious what type you got for Christmas! :tongue:
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 last summer after reading reviews on MFP and several other internet sites.
    I really like it, seems like I burn ALOT more calories then I thought I was, which is awesome!
    Last I looked Amazon had them for like 60-70 bucks!
    Good Luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Once you figure out what type or model(s) you would like, check eBay too - I bought my NB N4 there, brand new for $26. Score!
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do the other brands have website you upload your data to? One of the things I liked about Polar was the website and different reports.
  • shawn46106
    shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI. The HRM i had is a SI2 from SPORTLINE. JUNK!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 405 GPS watch with HRM.
    I really like it but, beware that this model doesn't use heart rate to calculate calories burned.