How do you guys feel about "Slim Fast" ?

Options
I was WAY under my calorie goal yesterday. After leaving the gym I was even MORE under. It was 8p.m. what do you guys do when you have issues like this? I need food choices. How do you feel about Slim Fast or Protein Shakes?

Replies

• mcsolis
    mcsolis Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love protein shakes. Right now im doing the jillian michaels one and i drink one everyday after my workouts
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    after working out, specially strength training, WHEY protein is best because is reaches muscles the fastest. I'm not a fan of Slim Fast, too much sugar, just a can with vitamins. If you're going to buys a ready-to-drink anything, make protein #1 and sugar the least important.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay away from so many processed foods as quick fixes. I've seen Slim Fast in a glass that was left out over night and it looked like a wierd sponge-like material...seemed too unnatural for me. I think a good Protein Powder from a health food or nutrition store might be okay
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are great after a workout.
    I have found that if I plan my calories in my food journal with my workouts first thing in the morning that I don't end out way under or over on my goals each day. Works for me...just a suggestion.
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a protein shake over slim fast. Slim Fast is higher in sugar and low in protein. I also drink the Jillian MIchaels protein shakes after I work out. It has 100 calories adn 15 grams of protein.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I used to mix my Slim Fast with some Haagen Daz...good stuff! I guess that kind of defeats the purpose though, huh?
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i used to use them...well, the "kroger" brand... slim rite or whatever. but then i look at it and it's like sugar plus vitamins... so i just take my vitamin, drink water and get protein from a protein shake and save myself the extra calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I do homemade protein shakes - my favorite right now is fruit, greek yogurt, sometimes a little juice or non-fat milk, spinach and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. I have the Wellements Vanilla Whey Protein. They are delicious!

I wouldn't go for Slim Fast because of cost, and possibly ingredients - I admit I haven't even looked at one in years, but thought I saw posts that they have a lot of sugar in them? With a homemade variety at least you know exactly what's in it!
  • LadyFleata
    LadyFleata Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to do slim fast powder shakes till I looked at how much sugar was in it. 14g or sugar in 1 shake and you drink 2 a day. Plain ridiculous really. its the same in the bars too all sugar, you think they'd used stevia or a natural sweetener (allergic to asparteme)

Cant be good for you eating that much sugar let alone those of use with a sugar problem/ candida problem. Plus thats all my daily allowance of sugar in 2 drinks I know they are meal substitutes but it recommends you eat a 600cal dinner too as well as its snack bars

Stay away i say.

eat healthily and take multivitamins/minerals + probiotics. if its the added nutrients in SF that are appealing

plus the cost £7 + a tub and £26 for a load of chocolate bars. cost me a fortune i bought bulk from Boots and amazon and ended up selling it all on eBay when I realised just how much sugar i was consuming just from slim fast shakes and bars alone.

Just not worth it in the end
  • jumpingjinglefairy
    Options
    Definately 100% whey protein, to feed your muscles post work out! I've also used USN and Maxitone Diet whey protein shakes, just add water, they taste great and have added things like green tea to boost metabolism even further! Plus protein keeps you fuller, and stops you reaching for the biscuit tin in the evening!!
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    after working out, specially strength training, WHEY protein is best because is reaches muscles the fastest. I'm not a fan of Slim Fast, too much sugar, just a can with vitamins. If you're going to buys a ready-to-drink anything, make protein #1 and sugar the least important.

This! :)
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is about 190 cal, 10g of protein and 18g of sugar.....that's just simply a waste of money that's not going to help you but trap more fat in your midsection. If you're going to ingest 190cal in a ready-to-drink shake, it better have more than 25g of protein. Slimfast is just a marketing ploy, they use the word Slim to get those that don't read the labels.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I think Slimfast tastes gross and doesn't do it for me...however, if I need to get in a bit more cals I absolutely will have a whey protein shake... A lot of times I have them at night after working out.
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    i just use it and mix it with ice cream and extra whipped topping and chocolate syrup..

I wonder why im not losing anything.?
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Slim fast sends me running and not in the exercise kinda way, lol

Protein shakes are a good source of good calories and are extremely good for you specially after workouts, helps rebuild the muscle.

Now that I am about to start playing volleyball again, I bought myself some Special K - protein plus and I add some fruit to it. its not high in calories and it is a good meal for after 10 pm - well at least for me, it isn't too heavy but it is satisfying.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    After a work out I would suggest -

healthy homemade protein shake (google recipes for ideas)
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    peanut butter
    almonds/ nuts
    Odwalla protein drink and a banana
    string cheese

Or just a healthy well balanced meal that will fit into your calorie and macro requirements. If you are worried about eating a meal that late in the evening, don't be. It's far more damaging to your fitness regime to go to bed post workout starving and in too much of a calorie deficit. Eat!
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like fruit smoothies after a workout, and I scoop A half scoop of protein powder in it sometimes... Or I just drink a glass of 1% milk after a work out:)
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    It makes my pee smell funny.
  • Pneeleysmom
    Pneeleysmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I haven't had a Slim Fast in years! Last night I noticed I was WAY under my calories, so, I ended up eating Weenies and Kraut for dinner. Not too bad I don't guess. :/ Off to find some protein shake recipes! You all are the BEST!