exercise: better in morning or at night???

Options
I know exersice is exercise but when do you feel is the best time to do it. I am sooo not a morning person an typically go at night but after work an class all day i sometimes dont feel like it. i would love to hit the gym in at am but i need some incentive and motivation to get there so dang early. Any advice?????????????

Replies

• MelissaJ6807
    Options
    I like to exercise in the morning because starting my day with it helps me to make better decisions through out the day.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Let personal preference dictate your workout schedule.
  • kvandenbush
    Options
    I workout at night time because I also am not a person who can wake up and workout hard. I let myself get enough sleep to push through the work day and by the time I'm done with a full days of work I usually want to go home, but since I am already out and drive past the gym on the way home, I stop and make sure to get my gym time in and then go home and relax because once I am home, I usually do not want to go anywhere or do anything.

I would recommend doing this and just say to yourself, "I'm already in the area, I might as well stop at the gym." You will feel so much better!
  • orionling
    orionling Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you're not a morning person, don't try to force it. Pick a time that YOU know that you'll be able to stick with. I like exercising first thing in the morning. My sister likes to exercise right before bed. That's when her kids are asleep and she finally has some "me" time. My husband runs during his lunch hour. Go with what works best for you.
  • Lotus1026
    Options
    thanks for all the advice. the only reason i would like to force myself in the morning is because ive heard people have alot more energy throughout the day if they start off with exercising. i think i might try to find an equal balance between half my workouts being in the am an the other half in the pm:happy:
  • samantha196
    Options
    I exercise in the morning. After I put my older son on the bus and before my younger son wakes up. I have enough time to work out and shower. I have exercised at night and I noticed that I feel better generally exercising in the morning.
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning because it gives me the energy boost I need t make it through the day. But whatever works for you and your schedule as long as you do it I do not think it really matters when.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Short answer. It doesn't matter. Choose which one works best for you and do it.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I like doing both actually (2 a days, who's with me?!?) but if I had to choose one, I'm a morning person. It keeps me honest and on track for the rest of the day since I've already started the day off right and don't want to "mess it up" by making poor decisions later.

BUT as others have said, it's up to you, whatever gets it done :)
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most people have said. However, I have a read a couple of articles that have stated that for people who are trying to lose weight, working out in the morning isn't always the best idea, because it kick starts your metabolism and actually makes you hungrier throughout the day. Therefore making you eat more throughout the day.

I'm not sure how legitimate the articles were, but I know when I've worked out in the morning, I definitely noticed a difference in my appetite.

On a more personal note, I prefer to workout at night, but only because it helps relieve a bunch of the stress that I've built up over the entire day. :)
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Early in the morning is my time - it does kick off my metabolism and gets my day going on the right note - when I don't workout in the morning I feel sluggish. I also find I drink way more water during the day when i workout and make much better choices concerning my fuel. I am constantly hungry true, but I snack thru the day and eat meals that contain protein to keep me filled up longer

In all you have to find what best fits you and your schedule - if you are not much of a morning person, you might not give your all to the am workout.
  • lacespace
    Options
    I have heard that morning runs are the best because your metabolism is at a peak with unstored sugars from the day. I am not a morning person but running in the morning is not only the best for your body but also helps with the rest of your day. Here is a blog post I did about starting to run in the morning at http://www.woodburywisdom.com/fun/benefits-of-a-morning-run/
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    At some point in the morning is when I do mine. It's all because of the type of person I am. If I don't get it done early, then I will make up excuses to not do it. This way, I have not really started my day yet so I have nothing that I can do instead. So, I get up, eat a light breakfast, workout, eat/drink something to get something back into my system, shower, and get ready for my day.
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    I swear my HRM says i burn more calories at my morning classes than at my devening classes. I always think the HRM is wrong but it happens every single time.