Gliding Your Way to Fitness on Elliptical Machines

Options
If you're looking for some variety in your cardio workouts, don't pass up the
opportunity to try your gym or home elliptical machines.

Here's why:
(1) They work the legs through a very wide range of motion.

(2) Because you can glide backwards as well as forwards, they enable you to exercise several different leg muscles.
(3) The machines with moveable handles offer a full-body workout.

(4) They're easy on the joints. The main drawback is that ellipticals generally don't have many adjustment modes for varying or increasing workout intensity. If this limitation concerns you, don't exclude elliptical machines entirely from your workouts. Instead, use them at least occasionally to reap the range-of-motion benefits they provide.

(c) 2008 Bally Total Fitness Corporation. All rights reserved. Bally Total Fitness,

Replies

• mildrede40
    Options
    If you're looking for some variety in your cardio workouts, don't pass up the
    opportunity to try your gym or home elliptical machines.

Here's why:
    (1) They work the legs through a very wide range of motion.

(2) Because you can glide backwards as well as forwards, they enable you to exercise several different leg muscles.
    (3) The machines with moveable handles offer a full-body workout.

(4) They're easy on the joints. The main drawback is that ellipticals generally don't have many adjustment modes for varying or increasing workout intensity. If this limitation concerns you, don't exclude elliptical machines entirely from your workouts. Instead, use them at least occasionally to reap the range-of-motion benefits they provide.

(c) 2008 Bally Total Fitness Corporation. All rights reserved. Bally Total Fitness,
  • FUNinTHEsun
    FUNinTHEsun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    elliptical machines are my fave :happy:
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I can adjust the tension on my elliptical machine, and it has several pre-programmed workouts that vary the intensity. I'm surprised that ones at a regular gym don't because mine was only really a mid-priced model.
    :laugh: Funny story is that the UPS guy that delivered it a year or so ago said he probably got more exercise delivering exercise machines than people ever got once they were in the house! Thankfully that has not been the case in our house...we have a firm rule that NO clothes can EVER be hung on that machine! Silly, but it keeps us motivated and keeps it from turning into a valet!
    Cowboy