Have you lost 50 lbs in 6 months?

Options
I've seen a lot of success stories of people who have lost 50-80 lbs within a 6 month time frame. I realize I'm not going to lose weight overnight, and my goal is 10 lbs per month, which I feel is reasonable. I'm 5'1 and 232 for my starting weight. I know that many have achieved this, and I would love to know exactly how you did it. What was your calorie/fat/carb goals? What was your exercise regimen? If you used workout dvd's - which ones? Before and after pics are also appreciated as they are soooo motivating!

Replies

• MrsJanay
    MrsJanay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks, so I will have lost 10 in the month I am sure.

This is all I did

Stopped eating ALL white foods. Bread, noodles, sugar, and switched to all whole wheat. I eat a lot more than I use to, sugar free oatmeal in the mornings, apple around 10, salad or something for lunch, another snack around 3 and dinner around 6. I eat more chicken and I am about to start adding exercise.

A guy I work with has lost 69 pounds since October. All he did was cut out white stuff. He still eats bread, whole wheat etc. And he also puts lemon in his water which burns up to 100 calories a day. It really works
  • roosterblue
    roosterblue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people! It can certainly be done. While I'm about 8 ounces away from finally hitting that 50 lb mark, I've been on my adjusted lifestyle change since June and I've consistently lost. I didn't give up everything -- in fact, there are many foods I still enjoy, but in extreme moderation (sushi, Mexican, pizza, french fries).

My main changes -- cutting out soda, cutting out fast food, drinking LOTS of water (at least (8) 8-ounce glasses), and exercising at least 4 days a week.

Since I've lost a lot of weight, it's become easier to exercise, so now I try to do it every day. But when I was starting out, the working-out was at 3 times a week and I still ate fast food every now and again. I couldn't give it up completely. But I kept my calorie-intake at no more than 1700 (I've reduced it since), my fat-intake below 50g/day and have always watched my sodium.

I was never really concerned for going over my proteins or carbs, since working out really uses those for energy. I wouldn't suggest just letting them go, but I always would try to be mindful of staying under (or just around) the daily limit.

This isn't the best before and after, as I've lost about 30 lbs since the bottom picture was taken, but here's a before from last summer (2010) and this summer, about 2 months after I started dieting:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f213/digikym/wow.jpg

(Needless to say, a lot of the weight I first lost came from my face and neck. lol)

Edit: Just wanted to add that I've been on a CPAP machine for a little over a year as well. Getting excellent sleep has certainly given me the energy and power I've needed to start losing weight.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    10 lbs per month is an awful lot.
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bumpin it back up:) Let's see some before/after pics!
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs in just under 6 months - but I started at 5'4" and 298lbs. I kept at or just under my. aloud target (when I started it was around 1,900 a day. I walked 30 mins at least once a week, and started doing little things like parking further away from the door at work, and stuff like that. I made better food choices, cut out everything fried and added lots of salads to my diet (lots of veggies). I only really watched my calories and fat, I only just recently started focusing on my sodium and sugars.

I'm down almost 60 now (since July 2011) and I'm at 1490 calories a day. I have chocolate if I want it, and Mexican food, and whatever else I want! I budget it into my calories for the day, so that I don't feel deprived.

and finally - I drink lots of water! I get 10-12 cups a day regularly, and I really think that has helped. there's no magic combination that works for everyone, but this is what has worked for me.
  • pminus
    pminus Posts: 1
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs in 6 months, working out 30 minutes a day, everyday. I kept things very simple. I started at a 38 bmi / 6'2" and 290lbs and I weight 230lbs tonight. Long term I will achieve a 25-28bmi / 195-210lbs, depending on muscle mass. I'm a larger framed man and I anticipate that my ideal weight will be about 210lbs when I'm in shape.

Everyday I do a combination of crunches, push-ups, kicks, weightless squats, a type of Flamingo Balance, punching an invisible speed bag and anything else to fill up the 30 minute slot I dedicated myself to.

5 days a week I run for 15 minutes, which means that I consolidate the above routine into 15 minutes on most days and stretch it out for 2 days, which are only for my feet to recover. I am very flat footed.

I do all of this at home, in a 5 X 5 area and outside on the street. I did not join a gym. I did not pay for a workout program or diet program. I did not change everything I eat and start buying "healthy foods".

I eat everything on this website. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/eat.htm
    And I take a multi vitamin, probiotic, fish oil and drink water all the time.

If you know of an easier, safer way to lose weight, please share it!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I have lost 64 lbs almost six months. I still have around 50 to go. I eat whatever I want with no restrictions as long as I stay in my calorie range. (1200) I have a cheat day once a month and I eat back my exercise calories. My exercise is pretty much all walking at this time. I am 5'5, started at 268 lbs and currently am 204. Good luck! You can do this!!
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60lbs in 5 1/2 months...I lost a little before joining MFP but I've done 2 rounds of Insanity and semi-followed the meal plan. I have my macros set to 40/40/20 (not that I get that everyday) but for the most part. I still eat out at least once a week to keep my sanity. My diary is open if you would like to take a look at it. The weekends may or may not be completely filled out (:
  • Sectility
    Sectility Posts: 37
    Options
    I have lost 42 pounds in 4 months, so I'll probably lose the rest within a month or a month and a half. I just tossed out (most) processed food.
  • Not really. Two pounds a week is right pounds a month so it isn't that hard
  • KBP1025
    KBP1025 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started in August at 210 lbs (5'5" complete apple shape), it's only the beginning of Dec and I'm at 163. I'm hoping to hit 50 lbs by Christmas. I went from a 20W (I don't hold my weight well!) to a size 14 in pants. I still have a ways to go, but I'm not where I was just a few months ago.

I eat "clean" as much as possible during the week so that I can let loose a little more on the weekends (love to eat out). Not only do I try to eat healthy, but I watch portion sizes. I use a scale for most things so that I can more accurately track my calories. The only exercise I do is walking and some beginners yoga. I'm thinking I may need to bump up the exercise though to help burn the fat off the tummy (stubborn belly fat!).

Good luck!