Pay attention to everything?

Options
HI, I've been on this eating plan for 2 weeks now and have lost 8 lbs. which I am very happy with. However, I am under my calories most days because I am paying attention to EVERYTHING, such the carbs, fats, proteins, sugar etc. I go over fat and sugar most days but sometimes proteins. Should I be paying attention to everything or just the calories? Thanks.

Replies

• PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to pay attention to several things, but I don't know about EVERYTHING!! That could be hard to do - to be perfect in every category. ((SMILE))

Depending on your own situation and any health conditions, some categories become more important.

For me, I've been diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, so I pay most attention to Sodium followed by Calories.

Sugar, Carbs & Cholesterol are also categories I keep an eye on, but I don't base my food choices as much upon them as I do sodium & calories. I find a low sodium diet helps me not have to monitor the others as much, because lower sodium foods tend to already be quite healthy.

I generally eat plenty of proteins, so I don't worry about that too much.

I try to reach the recommended amount of calcium being a middle age female.

But other body types might have totally different dietary needs.

Wishing you well :)
  • mscargill
    mscargill Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You're welcome :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    HI, I've been on this eating plan for 2 weeks now and have lost 8 lbs. which I am very happy with. However, I am under my calories most days because I am paying attention to EVERYTHING, such the carbs, fats, proteins, sugar etc. I go over fat and sugar most days but sometimes proteins. Should I be paying attention to everything or just the calories? Thanks.
    Everything should be given notice, but don't go food Nazi on yourself.

Just get it close when it comes to macro's and closer when it comes to calories, including eating back your exercise calories.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to pay attention to several things, but I don't know about EVERYTHING!! That could be hard to do - to be perfect in every category. ((SMILE))

Depending on your own situation and any health conditions, some categories become more important.

For me, I've been diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, so I pay most attention to Sodium followed by Calories.

Sugar, Carbs & Cholesterol are also categories I keep an eye on, but I don't base my food choices as much upon them as I do sodium & calories. I find a low sodium diet helps me not have to monitor the others as much, because lower sodium foods tend to already be quite healthy.

I generally eat plenty of proteins, so I don't worry about that too much.

I try to reach the recommended amount of calcium being a middle age female.

But other body types might have totally different dietary needs.

Wishing you well :)

I too watch the sodium due to high blood pressure. Doing that has actually really helped me eat healthily without having to focus on so many variables. I basically make sure I stay within 200 calories of my daily eating targets, watch the sodium and potassium (I have a little contest every day between sodium and potassium; the sodium must stay below 1500 mg and the potassium must be double for it to be a winning day). I have been slowly and steadily losing weight using those measures. It is an eating style I can sustain throughout life.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I agree! pay attention to the ones that matter most to you.

when I first started I had no regard for anything other than calories... my way of easing into it, I guess.

slowly I started to care more, specifically about the carbs (mostly because that's the one I was ALWAYS over on) and sodium, because I wanted to focus on not retaining too much water weight.

start slow and dont overwhelm yourself!
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to calories, protein, fat, carbs, and sodium. I generally limit my sodium to 2500mg daily. I rarely go over that since I prepare my own food and don't generally eat prepackaged food or eat out.

I try to stay within my calorie, fat, and carb ranges. I go crazy with protein because I am trying to build muscle and lose fat. I changed my nutrition goals in MFP to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat because I felt mfp's protein setting was too low. Generally, my goal is to eat 1g of protein per pound of body weight.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    For purely weight loss purposes, calories will be enough. But Tracking everything will help you make good decisions about what you are eating from a health point of view but give you a good perspective on what types of foods work best for you. How do you feel when the sugars are low? Does your digestive system work well when you reduce fats? Sounds like a lot of trouble but this is a lifelong journey so information is power. As someone with hypoglycemia, \ my food diary helped me discovered that I feel much better and have much better control of my appetite and my sleep schedule if I keep my carb intake low and stay away from concentrated carbs like sugar and flour. Congrats on your weight loss and your determination.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm often under too, but nearly always over with protein. This is good cos protein is filling and the healthier one to over indulge in. Watch your sodium and fat levels, drink loads and let the rest take care of itself. Eat loads of fresh veg and avoid processed stuff. Good luck.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think you'll need to figure out what is important for your body. For me, it is all about calories in/calories out. My body isn't affected by sodium, carbs, sugars. As long as I keep my calories reasonable - I will be fine.

Other people have to watch their carbs and some need to pay closer attention to their sodium. Learn what works for YOU.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    I try to keep everything in the green but always go over on sugar because of fruit. (natural sugars) I mainly watch the top 3 Macros of Carbs, Fat & Protein. And VERY IMPORTANT is Sodium! If you don't stay in the green you will plateau. Good luck! And drink at least 8 cups of water a day I know I hate it too :)
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would agree that it kinda depends on your body and your activities, health etc.
    Personally, I focus on calories, fat, fiber, in that order.
    I'm over on sugar every single day - which is a result of the fresh fruit I consume. I'm not going to battle that.
    I also don't watch my sodium - I don't eat foods that I consider to be super high in salt - canned soups, frozen meals etc, and I need a healthy dose of salt for my workouts. Now, if I know I'm going to have a high-sodium meal (say, stir-fry), I would watch the rest of my day as to not go too crazy.
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If your main goal is weight loss, then calories will matter the most. Don't ignore the other stuff, but also don't go anal about it. I go over on *something* pretty much every day, but usually not the same thing for more than a day or two in a row, and I stay under (or just barely over) my calorie goal. I've lost a stone this month, even though I go over my carbs, sodium, or sugar every so often.
  • hkussatz
    Options
    I tend to focus on the calories with the protein. I find the higher protein foods I eat typically have less sugar content and sodium mg so I'm always going over my protein amount but under the amount for the others. They fill me up more so and help me crave the "other stuff" less.

Good job on the 8 lbs so far!
  • chriscoates7025
    chriscoates7025 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I started, I tried to watch it all and found it very frustrating and intimidating. I changed and just watch calories and am much happier and having good results.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me, simply paying attention to how healthy my food is has worked. I rarely think "this food has X amount of protein, X fat, X calories, etc.". I just plan my meals around healthy foods and the rest seems to fall into place. Even the calories work themselves out if I just listen to my body. If it's hungry, I feed it. When it's full, I stop. I do have splurges and eat junk occasionally, but doing this most of the time keeps me at a healthy weight. As long as I also exercise. Without regular exercise, I gain weight.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Calories is the most important to focus on.

For me, I try to keep my carbs under 100, my protein over 100, and try not to let my fat and sugar go too much into the red (though they usually are. It doesn't bother me unduly)