Is it OK....

Options
2»

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to undo all your progress.

I say - don't starve yourself in order to "save up" calories. Go out, celebrate, enjoy yourself and get back on track the next day. Seriously.. as long as you don't allow one day to turn into two that turns into a week or a month of "celebrating", you'll be just fine.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor myself, by any means, but a doctor friend has always told me (and my ex, who was waaay overweight - which is not a dig, just a fact) that your body works best when you don't eat just one big meal. If you skip breakfast and lunch you are telling your body to store that big dinner.

no offense but I dont agree with this
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    I was kidding about the vodka...I don't drink. LOL. But I was thinking Applebee's with DH and The Girl. Don't they have a "low cal" menu?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do it all the time. I met my goal last April and have maintained it since.
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    I am not a doctor myself, by any means, but a doctor friend has always told me (and my ex, who was waaay overweight - which is not a dig, just a fact) that your body works best when you don't eat just one big meal. If you skip breakfast and lunch you are telling your body to store that big dinner.

For breakfast think of two things: water, something sweet but not bad for you (fruits, fruity stuff?). The water is best in the morning, and will help you feel full. It actually helps those cells "fire up" and work too. If you are going to be drinking that night, why not drink some water between breakfast and then after lunch a little too (but not gorge on it).

For lunch do something with protein and sugars - a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? It's not a lot, and it will also tell your body to stop eating. Both will trick your body into telling your brain you are good - and with some water you'll be filling up.

Maybe if possible do a bit of exercising (something simple, easy, fun) and then go out. Don't do cardio on a full stomach of water though, and don't exercise too close to eating. It's up to you to time it all right.

If you think about it - it all really comes down to routine and changing your life. Trust me, I am stuck there too. Look up "Transtheoretical model" on wikipedia :happy:

Good luck.

Good greif. That was alot of useless info for a yes or no question. LOL
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to go out this weekend and celebrate my new job, would it be okay to save the bulk of my daily calories for dinner one night? IDK why it wouldn't be, but I wanted to ask..

Absolutely fine. :)
  • JohnLamar
    JohnLamar Posts: 2 Member
    Options

None taken. Though I have to say it is mostly something you can figure on your own. You can't just starve yourself - fat is stored for a reason (evolutionary) and by not eating you are telling your body what? I, in fact, started gaining weight by starting to run and then stopping. My diet never changed.

Also, look at pre-diabetics. They are advised to eat many more smaller meals during the day. Not less.

Overall, there is evidence in both directions - though I think we can agree starving most of the day is not good for anything. You simply need energy to live/move and you can get headaches and later overeat to compensate. Which will defeat the weight loss goals as well as make you feel even worse. Then where are you emotionally? Feeling like you did something wrong and feeling more likely that it's all in vain and giving up.

I suggest doing your own research of course. I don't mean to argue, just discuss!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

None taken. Though I have to say it is mostly something you can figure on your own. You can't just starve yourself - fat is stored for a reason (evolutionary) and by not eating you are telling your body what? I, in fact, started gaining weight by starting to run and then stopping. My diet never changed.

Also, look at pre-diabetics. They are advised to eat many more smaller meals during the day. Not less.

Overall, there is evidence in both directions - though I think we can agree starving most of the day is not good for anything. You simply need energy to live/move and you can get headaches and later overeat to compensate. Which will defeat the weight loss goals as well as make you feel even worse. Then where are you emotionally? Feeling like you did something wrong and feeling more likely that it's all in vain and giving up.

I suggest doing your own research of course. I don't mean to argue, just discuss!

I dont recall anyone saying anything about starving most of the day...but anyway