What do you do?

Options
Most days i plan out what i'm going to eat and log it. Yesterday i had a crazy workout 1600+ calorie burn (from actual exercise not housework lol) and decided to give myself a treat.. I logged some blackberry pie and some popcorn 450 calories worth. This would have put me well over 1400+ calories for the day BUT i was so tired i crashed... I woke up around 11:30 last night starving because of the crazy workout. I wasn't about to eat a piece of pie or anything heavy so i crunched on some celery.. What do you guys do when that happens... :( I really wanted that pie... lol

Replies

• BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It depends where I am for the day! If I have a lot of leftover cals, I might have a low carb ice cream treat in indulge or something not to awesome for me that's within limits. Time is also a factor for me. If it is late, say, past 9, I try and skip snacking altogether and have a big breakfast in the morning. I don't plan my meals before the day because that makes me feel even more restricted than I already am. For after dinner, I TRY to gravitate toward the fruit if I am starving but that is sometimes harder than it sounds. ;)
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would have had something with a few more calories but a little healthier than the pie, like two tablespoons of peanut butter with a 1/2 cup of milk. :smile:
  • jenmilwil
    Options
    Tough one! I have found that I have to go ahead and choose something that will satisfy that craving. This might be a couple of crackers with cheese or peanut butter for example. If I crunch on carrots or celery, I will keep picking and snacking until I ring up the same amount of calories any way. After I get my little fix...I brush my teeth. Nothing tastes good after that :)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I drink water. If I still want the treat 5-10 minutes later, I have it. Then I have another glass of water.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I would have done the same thing but maybe have a banana or apple. I also usually have a banana before a workout because it gives you a boost of potassium which you need when you workout. It might help with the crash feeling. If you are doing a really good burn that day add a little food to your lunch. More protein and starch. Might help the crash feeling also. Good Luck
  • fae14
    fae14 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd have to research it, but I've heard from several people who work out consistently that celery and carrots have a negative calorie whatever you want to call it because it takes more calories to digest them than they give. I've also heard that carrots jump start your metabolism...possibly because of the calorie thing?

So that could be why you were still hungry after the celery.

Another suggestion would be that if you're waking up in the middle of the night like that, drink a full glass of water and go back to bed. It should give you the feeling of being full long enough to fall back asleep. Then, have a good breakfast and try and steer clear of things with a lot of sugar, which is hard in popular breakfast foods. (But you already knew that, right?)
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) My biggest problem is late night cravings.. I never had this issue until i quit smoking (it's been 9 months) The cravings are sooooo strong...lol I can eat healthy all day long but as soon as i get in my jammies i crave the bad stuff.. It so bad some nights that i can't go back to sleep...lol I'm messed up...lol