Sprint Triathlon DIET?????

Options
OK MFP's.....

What should I eat the morning of a Sprint Triathlon?
OR the night before also..

it is my first one, I'd love any help I can get on this!

Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Hey! I know you posted this a while ago but I searched "triathlons" and your post came up!

I eat a large carb meal around 5 the night before. Eat any later and you will probably have some bathroom issues the next morning :)

I try to eat around 200-250 carbs the morning of. I can't eat hardly 100 in one sitting so I really have to space it out. If my race is at 7:30, I usually start the day around 4:30, so the first thing I'll do is have a peanut butter bagel. Then I might have an energy bar and another peanut butter sandwich throughout the morning. I wouldn't eat too close to race time as you don't want a full stomach during the swim.

Then there are more carbs to be had on the course! Eat more often than you think you need to. On race day, I've found its all about the number of carbs, not as much the calories, and your body will be using a lot of them!
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Hey! I know you posted this a while ago but I searched "triathlons" and your post came up!

I eat a large carb meal around 5 the night before. Eat any later and you will probably have some bathroom issues the next morning :)

I try to eat around 200-250 carbs the morning of. I can't eat hardly 100 in one sitting so I really have to space it out. If my race is at 7:30, I usually start the day around 4:30, so the first thing I'll do is have a peanut butter bagel. Then I might have an energy bar and another peanut butter sandwich throughout the morning. I wouldn't eat too close to race time as you don't want a full stomach during the swim.

Then there are more carbs to be had on the course! Eat more often than you think you need to. On race day, I've found its all about the number of carbs, not as much the calories, and your body will be using a lot of them!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is no new foods leading up to race day, depending on the start time my usual race day breakfast is peanut butter on whole wheat toast, a banana and container of yogurt and I like to eat at least 3 hours before start time.

I'm not convinced you need to worry too much about carb loading for a sprint distance but pasta and chicken are my usual dinner the night before the race. I also tend to cut back a little on the fibre in the last couple of days before a race.

If you're looking for a great book try reading "Your First Triathlon" by Joe Friel, he also wrote "The Triathlete's Training Bible"