Advice needed & would be greatly appreciated :)

Options
2»

Replies

• smflagmeier
    Options
    I like the dannon fruit on the bottom nonfat greek yogurt for breakfast. It has so much protein its filling. Then snack on fruit. For lunch Im getting into the healthy choice steamers. Only 200 calories and really good. I then eat some fruit or a cereal bar of some sort as a snack before dinner. I try to work out in the evening and for dinner I eat some sort of baked chicken, minimal amount of a potato or pasta (i gotta allow myself a little something bad) and salad. Last night I did sliced tomato with parm cheese, oregano, salt and pepper drizzled with olive oil. Stuck it in the oven for 15 min - delish and EASY
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    That's what chicken nuggets look like pre-processing. That's ground up chicken stuff before they nugget shape it and bread it.

For breakfast I make an egg mug - I spray a mug with pam, put in egg beaters or egg whites (the kind in the cartons), 1 light laughing cow, and then mix it up (sometimes salsa, sometimes mushrooms, even some lean turkey). Lots of protein, totally easy, and low in calories. I also make a similar egg mug with instant oatmeal and light chocolate soy milk. Throw a banana or some peanut butter/powder in it, and it's totally yum!

I echo the recommendations on fresh fruits/veggies. Green giant has some nice individual serving size frozen veggies as well. I also think the low-sodium canned/packaged tuna and chicken are good ideas.

For dinner you could try some lettuce wraps, with mixes of lean fresh or ground meats (or the canned too) and some carrots, rinsed canned beans, and lime. I also live off of the recipes at hungry-girl.com, although she does use a lot of processed foods.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The pre-packaged stuff is horrible for you...loads of sodium and a lot of them substitute sugar for the fat. A little prep work in the beginning of the week goes a long way.

If you have a little pyrex or non-stick pan that will fit in your toaster oven you can make a weeks worth of breakfast (or you can substitute it for lunch or "brinner") You can also do this in the microwave, but you have to stir it pretty often so it doesn't explode!

6 eggs (or 3 eggs + 3 egg whites)
    Salsa (I use a fork to "strain" it out of the container so there's not so much water)
    Handful or 2 of fresh spinach
    salt & pepper
    a little shredded cheese (if desired)
    1/2 onion chopped
    Handful of mushrooms

Put spinach on a few paper towels in the microwave for about a minute or 2. Squeeze out the excess water.
    Mix the eggs (like you are making scrambled eggs)
    Put all the ingredients into the pyrex pan (or nonstick pan)
    Bake in the toaster oven at 350 for about 30 min (or until the eggs rise and when you lightly press on them, they pop back up)

I usually double this recipe and make 6 - 8 squares and eat a square for breakfast. You'll probably get about 4 squares. It's a little bit of prep, but it will save you a lot of time in the long run. You can store the leftovers in the fridge for about 5-7 days. Serve with avocado, hot sauce, black beans (rinse the beans thoroughly first) or you can even put it between 2 slices of sandwich thins. It's a pretty versatile dish.

I'm sorry the measurements aren't exact, I usually combine everything to taste. But it is important to cook the spinach first and get out most of the water, otherwise you get watery eggs.
  • besli
    besli Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like to make meals in bulk on the weekends ready for microwaving in week when i know i wont have so much time on my hands.

Soups/stews/casseroles always lurking somewhere in the freezer
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just for your information, this is what chicken nuggets look like: tumblr_lybv2uus4q1qg66w3o1_500.jpg

For lunch I tend to make myself some rice pudding or tuna salad wraps. Rice Salad is also nice to go :)

This is supposed to be mechanically sepparated meat. Look on the package as they have to list this. EG McDonalds uses all white meat chicken, not this. Not saying Mcnuggets are healthy but not all nuggets are the same
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    You have all of the equipment I do to prepare food. More than a lot of college students. So are you looking to branch out? Learn how to cook? Learn how to use your equipment? Or you still want to stick to your microwave?

I agree with what others have said, more fresh fruits and veggies and cooking from scratch. But your goal is . . . ?

Pam
  • Carolyne14
    Options
    Personally I choose not to eat processed foods and find I can cook most things from scratch using simple tools, as you indicate. For instance, chicken and fish cook beautifully in the microwave (toaster oven too).. Apply a bit of soy/paprika, if you want a bit of color. Just don't overcook or will be tough. Start at one minute increments. Broccoli does well in microwave. Add a touch of water, and cover a bit. about one minute for a large serving. Ditto for a lot of fresh veggies. Scrambled Egg in a cup. Of course the potato. Good luck.
  • BiancaW18
    BiancaW18 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just for your information, this is what chicken nuggets look like: tumblr_lybv2uus4q1qg66w3o1_500.jpg

For lunch I tend to make myself some rice pudding or tuna salad wraps. Rice Salad is also nice to go :)

Huh?

Frozen chicken nuggets & a lot from fast food places ground up the WHOLE chicken (feet, bones, eyes, and all) into a paste so that they can make mass nuggets & save $$$..pretty gross.