How much weight is healthy to lose in a month?

Options
I have been exercising and dieting everyday for 23 days. I feel really good, but when i get on the scale it is a little dissappointing. I have lost only about 4 lbs. I thought it would be more.Is that about right or i am i doing something wrong? i know it takes time to lose weight, but is it really going to take this long? What can i do to speed this up?
Thanks for any suggestions!:grumble:

Replies

• tmkirk01
    tmkirk01 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have been exercising and dieting everyday for 23 days. I feel really good, but when i get on the scale it is a little dissappointing. I have lost only about 4 lbs. I thought it would be more.Is that about right or i am i doing something wrong? i know it takes time to lose weight, but is it really going to take this long? What can i do to speed this up?
    Thanks for any suggestions!:grumble:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Healthy? A pound a week is pretty healthy.

Remember, you didn't put on the weight overnight. If you wanna keep it off, it won't come off anymore quickly than you put it on.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Losing about a pound a week is the healthiest way to lose weight:bigsmile: Just stay focused on your healthy eating and regular exercise and the weight will come off slowly but surely and before long your clothes will feel loose and the scale will surprise you.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Keep in touch with people at MFP for encouragement and motivation and you'll be amazed.:bigsmile:

Good luck:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    I agree with the lb a week! Sometimes 2! I am going to change my ticker now! I just lost another lb! Keep up the great work! You go, girl! :flowerforyou:
  • lorrigarcia
    Options
    I was told that 1 to 2 is healthy and that muscle weighs more than fat. So if you are exercising you are gaining more muscle and losing the fat but you aren't losing weight....you should see the difference in your shape or the way your clothes fit now. Before I started MFP I started a physical job and I wasn't losing weight but people were commenting on how great I was looking because my body was starting to shape...so dont stress to much on it even though I know its hard not to be disappointed when you see such a little number lost.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I think a pound a week is reasonable. 2 pounds is achievable if you make some drastic life changes if working out and eating right seems to be difficult. Overall these are good goals, but don't set your sights to high if you tend to get discouraged easily. Sometimes a week or two will go by and you might just maintain a the same weight, at best. When your burning fat and putting on muscle, the scale jumps around alot. Plan on that.

Then you figure in your water weight; dehydrating and then rehydrating. The scale isn't always a very accurate representation of progress. Thats why its important to monitor every factor, calorie intake, calorie burn, diet, recovery, body fat %. The more factors you figure into your routine, you'll see the REAL results, not just a number on the scale. When you see those little (and sometimes large) accomplishments.... those will keep you on the right path and encourage you to push on. A slight raise on the scale, unfortunately, only seems to discourage many.

Good luck.