When does "Starvation" mode begin?

Options
2»

Replies

• Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this for a while but people are really passionate about this subject. People say things like... eating small meals throughout the day is a myth, and I just look at my weekly total of calories, and I don't eat my exercise calories and then have a "spike" day...

It seems to me that it takes at least a week for starvation mode to hit if you can go all week at a large deficit and then make it up on your spike days (unless my logic is flawed here).

It also seems that if the multiple meals a day is a myth it would take longer than 24 hours (assuming you can eat all your daily calories at the same meal every day).

So, does anyone actually know how long it takes for "starvation" mode to kick in?

I don't know when it starts, but I do know my metabolic rate is slowing when I become sensitive to cold temperatures. My energy level isn't where it should be either. I just eat more. :smile:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    When I was not eating enough for my exercise level, I found I was feeling bad within three or four days, and my weight loss plateaued almost immediately.

Pam
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    My friend on here ( Quasita ) had starvation mode back in her younger days bc she basically COMPLETELY stopped eating after she was injured and could no longer play sports (extreme depression). She has a recent blog where she explains it all. If you add her I am sure she could tell you more about it. She is an amazing woman
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    edited for more in depth explanation than im sober enough to give right now
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that it takes at least a week for starvation mode to hit if you can go all week at a large deficit and then make it up on your spike days (unless my logic is flawed here).

Think people with eating disorders, months to years is what I've heard from people with degrees (how much you eat matters, I was eating max 300-500 calories a day and running for a few hours a night and my body got jacked up within 6mos-year (maybe).)

It won't happen in a few hours, a few days, a few weeks, even just a few (3) months, it takes a really long time at a very low calorie diet to mess your body up to that point.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options

Think people with eating disorders, months to years is what I've heard from people with degrees (how much you eat matters, I was eating max 300-500 calories a day and running for a few hours a night and my body got jacked up within 6mos-year (maybe).

It won't happen in a few hours, a few days, a few weeks, even just a few (3) months, it takes a really long time to mess your body up to that point.

^^^this
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    edited for more in depth explanation than im sober enough to give right now

Can't wait for the weekend!