Jogging/running on treadmill

Options
Okay so I have been walking at a very brisk pace on the treadmill for months now!! After reading posts and chatting with my trainer abiut 2 months ago, I was told to mix it up a bit. So walk fast for 3 minutes and increase speed and jog for 2 mins, then back to walk and then jog again.
My problem is this - I cannot get the breathing thing!!!! After 1minute I am nearly out of breath and by 2mins well nearly about to pass out from lack of oxygen..lol...All my runner friends say dont worry you will get into the "zone". How do I get there?????

Any suggestions?

Replies

• I still breath really heavy and sound like I'm dying but I can run for 35+ mins. When I run on the streets and pass people I'm sure they are thinking I will drop dead at any moment lol I do slow down for a bit and try to take a really deep breath then pick my pace back up. Some days it is easier than others.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Breath in through your nose out of your mouth. Take your in breath on the same foot each time (ie always breath in on your left foot, out on your right) so you can get your breathing in pace with your running. You won't always breath in when your left foot strikes the ground depending on your speed it might be every other time it strikes the ground. You want to try and get a rythm going with your breathing. Hope this helps a little :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it would be different running on the street than running on the treadmill. The machine might be 'encouraging' you to run faster than your natural pace.

Pam
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Breath in through your nose out of your mouth. Take your in breath on the same foot each time (ie always breath in on your left foot, out on your right) so you can get your breathing in pace with your running. You won't always breath in when your left foot strikes the ground depending on your speed it might be every other time it strikes the ground. You want to try and get a rythm going with your breathing. Hope this helps a little :)

this is very good advice. also...if you're really out of breath after 1-2 minutes, try 15-30 second intervals to start, and also lower the speed of your running intervals.

For most people, it does get easier. When I started running in February of last year, I could barely go 15 seconds at a 13minute mile pace...I can now run over 5 miles straight at an 11:30 minute mile pace, and I can run a mile in 10 minutes...the speed will come with practice, build up your endurance first~

Good luck!
  • sousaness
    sousaness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend enough using a program like c25k for getting into running shape. I started 3 weeks ago and I couldn't run for more then 30 seconds. I am running at 6 min intervals now. The iphone/android app "Ease into 5k" is awesome.
  • Michelleanon
    Michelleanon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for this great advice! I will try all options...whatever it takes to be able to get it right ;)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I also agree with timing your breathing with your pace. I usually breathe in for two foot falls and breath out for two, sometimes I can do three depending on the pace. I would also recommend slowing down a bit or doing shorter sprints if you're losing your breath. Definitely don't push it to the point of risking passing out - it's not worth the risk of falling off the treadmill and injuring yourself (and your pride)!

Another thing to keep in mind is your body tension - if your shoulders and arms and back are tense, then you're expending too much energy and that's going to exhaust you on top of the increased intensity of jogging. Keep as relaxed as you can.

It will get better! When I started out, I could hardly run faster than 4.3mph and now I'm running up to 6mph and imrpoving all the time.
  • m4nd479
    m4nd479 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The best bit of advice I read (I think from MFP somewhere) was to concentrate on your exhaling, your body will inhale naturally. If you time your exhale with your pace then after a while it becomes really natural. I've found this invaluable, because I always struggled to breathe while running, and since I have been following this I have managed to increase my distance and pace!
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    Many people start out breathing incorrectly when they start running (myself included)...Make sure your chest is expanding on the inhale and falling on the exhale - you can lay down and put a book on your stomach to practice. My brother is a long distance runner and showed me that trick to let me see that my lungs weren't getting enough air.

I started using Jeff Galloway training books-he would suggest starting out just running for 1 minute and working up to more. I started out with 1 min, worked up to 3..now I run for 5 minutes and walk for 1