Gym Embarrassment (Gymbarrassment?)

Options
I've resisted joining a gym purely out of embarrassment as far as not knowing anything about the machines go. How do you get over this? I feel like I'm going to walk in and have no clue how to use anything...anyone else experience this?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Almost all gyms have a free intro session with a trainer when you sign up. They will show you how to use all the machines.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Almost all gyms have a free intro session with a trainer when you sign up. They will show you how to use all the machines.

Really? I was not aware of that...
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    When you sign up, you usually get a free training session with a trainer. Do it. Have them show you around and try the different machines. If you can afford it, schedule a couple of sessions for a month or two. It's really confidence boosting because I totally know what you mean. You can also invest in some fitness magazines or look online or get a fitness book (Men's Health has a big book of exercises that is great).

It's all about getting in the environment and getting used to it. The more you go, the more comfortable you'll be. :)
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    yup! this
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I usually just ask someone and most people love to help other people because it makes them feel good that they know something. Yes, you should get an introductory session at the gym as well.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Agree, any worthwhile gym should train you on the equipment, show you how to set them, adjust, and use them properly as part of your membership.
  • 34and334
    Options
    Look up www.bodybuilding.com it has it all from nutrition to machines to free weights I have yet to stump the supper site on a question I have had. It also has Video on all the machines free weights and techniques.
  • omega1227
    Options
    I was the same way my first few days. Most of the equipment has instructions on it. You can also look up the different models at home online so you know a little bit about what they do. Everything I use at my gym is by Cybex so it made it easier to read about them. I promise you though, after a few trips to the same gym you'll become accustomed to everything and you'll feel like you've been there forever. You'll soon discover that nobody else is paying attention to you they're focusing on their own workouts. Keep it up!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    yea most gyms will have someone show you how to use the equipment

if for some reason yours does not, you can alwasy ask someone for hlep, watch another person do it, or even alot of machines will have pictorial instructions for you to use.

If it was me, id try to go when it was not super busy and ask someone if you could kind of follow them around on the machines to see how to use them
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    You'll soon discover that nobody else is paying attention to you they're focusing on their own workouts. Keep it up!

This was another concern...I hate feeling watched. But that's fantastic. Thanks!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    We all walked into a gym for the first time at some point and we got through it and learned all of the things we needed to do. Check with the gym and see about an orientation session. This should give you enough knowledge about how to use the machines. Then you can work from there.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If you have a lot of disposable income, you could hire a personal trainer. Although for most, simply having a semi-knowledgeable friend or family member there to help you learn to use the machines is good enough. There's a lot of misinformation out there, so don't trust anybody and always cross-reference advice with other resources.
  • determinedsocialworker
    Options
    My gym has a session for those beginning the gym, often done in a small group where they walk through the machines and briefly try them all out.. and often you do get a fitness assessment by a trainer with lots of info thrown in there as well... and remember, we were all new once and personally, I wouldn't find it terrible to be asked a question or help someone out. :) I'm sure many others feel the same way. It can feel pretty intimidating for sure, but just go in and try a few things.. or hop on a treadmill and just watch what others are doing.. or go on off times where you can feel more comfortable experimenting with things... thinking about it is a great first step.. now go make a few calls and tell them you're interested in meeting up with someone to discuss joining and seeing what they offer.. Lots of luck!!!
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, most gyms have an orientation for noobs. Use that. Also, take a deep breath and try stuff, make note of the names of things and youtube them, scope out the experienced folks and see what they're doing, make eye contact with someone and if they smile back at you ask a friendly question (but don't take up a bunch of their time - that's annoying). Experience is gained by, you know, experiencing stuff. Just be sensible and start small so you don't end up hurting yourself. Before long people will be asking you for help. You can pay it forward by lending them a hand. Good luck! I was once where you are and now I consider the gym my second home.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I had this idea in my head that the gym would be full of fabulously fit people ready to ridicule someone as out of shape and unfamiliar with equipment as I am (was). I couldn't be more wrong. I work my *kitten* off when I'm there, huffing and puffing and get more used to it each time I go. Everyone else is doing the same.

Get the staff to show you the machines. Hire a trainer for a few sessions if the introduction isn't enough. You'll be fine! I just stay away from the mirrors!!!! (They scare me)
  • Jennie937
    Options
    Others are correct, they should offer you a "how to use the equipment" session, and maybe even set you up with a plan of attack, so to speak. Make this a part of your signing up, if they don't do this, find a different gym.
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    Just remember that everyone feels that way when they start a gym. And many times trainers will be more inclined to take you through a work out and give you a hard sell on training packages as opposed to instructions on how to use the machines. Just be up front and say you'd like to get comfortable in the gym first and you are interested in learning how the equipment works and they'll get the picture :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Love the new word..."gymbarrassment".

Don't let that stop you from joining a gym. Like others said, the staff will show you, and most machines have diagrams right on the machine showing how to use them properly. Besides that, half the people there are using them wrong......you won't have any reason to be embarrassed at all.

Good luck!
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Any gym should offer to have someone show you how to use the machines. If you don't use them correctly, you could get hurt.
    If anyone looks at you, just look back. Eventually they will look away.
  • plumnbagel
    plumnbagel Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the original poster! I had the same feelings, and this thread has been really inspiring to me.