New Slogan Put the scales away, what do the inches say??

Options
The most common post I am reading is that people are getting frustrated after only 2 weeks of working out that they are not losing weight. I am in that same position at the moment. But the exciting thing I am seeing, which is way better than losing scale weight, is that I am losing a ton of inches. I have lost 5 inches from my hips and 2 inches from my waiste. to me that is much more of a reward than losing numbers from a scale. So many things can be the reason for gaining especially in women, the time of the month, water weight, etc etc. So, please put the scales away and take your measurements regularly. It is much more accurate and rewarding!!! Feel free to add me as a friend and cheerleader. I am super motivated!! Take your measurements and stop complaining that you are not losing weight after two weeks. It is a lifetime change after all.

Replies

• jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    Take your measurements and stop complaining that you are not losing weight after two weeks. It is a lifetime change after all.

I'm with that!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I use weight as but one variable.
    Body fat based on measurements are much more valuable.

You can do this here for free:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • knrob
    knrob Posts: 65
    Options
    I agree-I put on a pair of pants today that I haven't worn in months...I'm down a size but not on the scale!

9766141.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • skedzie
    skedzie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hooray!! I've only been doing this for a few weeks but you are the first person I've seen on here that has said that!!! I'm in the same boat - not many pounds gone but wow the inches are going!!!

I think the measurements give a much better picture of how your body is transforming that just the number on the scale!

Thanks for posting this!!!!
  • ionlyhavesporx
    Options
    Absolutely agree
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Agree. Thanks!
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that. I can get so absorbed in scale fluctuations ...

I have been steady at the gym and focusing hard on building muscle, increasing my strength and power and of course, fitness. After 10 weeks, I've only lost about 5 lbs. but I feel sooo good! At 6-ft. tall, I'm not going to be changing sizes fast, but my clothes are looser and none of them are tight any more!
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!!
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree. In fact I just posted a topic telling everyone to measure. I regret that I didn't because even though I haven't lost weight, I'm already fitting back into pants I couldn't wear a month ago. But people (myself included) like to see that visual of a number going down. My sister-in-law is in amazing shape - plays high level tennis & runs marathons. She wears a size 4 but weighs 143 lbs. and is 5'4". Its really mind over matter! We have to condition our brains to think this way. Who cares what the scale says as long as I look good and feel good?!
  • arlenejfrank
    Options
    I am in the same boat and I appreciate understanding why. Thanks for posting
  • BJPitts
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this!!!
  • tnrown87
    tnrown87 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for this!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I figured that it needed to be said!! I think there should be inches scales instead of weight loss scales. I am glad that there are so many in the same boat. Getting frustrated about a number on a scale is pointless. Inches and toning up is much more important!!! I am walking 10,000 steps a day in case anyone wants to join me. 10,000 a day what do you say is the thread name. Walking away the fat is where it is at for me. My *kitten* and legs are so sore but in a good way ;)!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    bump
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    On board with you! I am an inches first looser and weight last!!!! I would be crazy(er) if I watched the scale!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    This website would be nice with an inches lost calculator instead of a pounds calculator.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    just took measurements of my whole body in order to track the inches I am losing. I think it is more accurate than the fickle scale. So far I have only taken my hips and waiste measurements and have been really excited by the results. I cannot really feel it in my clothes yet oddly enough which makes it all the more important to check your inches. 3 inches from my waiste and 7 inches from my hips. I guess I was really squeezing into my pants before. Take inches everyone of all your troubled areas and check them when the scale lies to you. You might be pleasantly surprised like I was. Keep working your *kitten* off everyone, literally ;). If you are doing what you should be doing then it will show either on the scale or in inches.
  • TexNut
    TexNut Posts: 53
    Options
    Nicely said!! Some of my first advice to new clients is almost always this "FORGET YOU OWN A SCALE"!!! It's misleading to think that our health is only (or accurately) reflected on the scale & the damage that can come from disappointing numbers can totally disrail your motivation.
    Focus on how you feel, how you move better & breathe easier, how your clothing fits and your energy levels improve!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    another friendly reminder to the newbies here. Take your inches, that will save you when you first begin this process because more than likely you will see an increase on the scale. Be patient and most importantly keep going no matter what. The scale lies!!!