Really low calories and exercising

Options
Before you all tell me off THIS IS NOT ABOUT ME! A friend of mine is dieting for when she gets a gastric band fitted (don't even get me started on that!) and has been put on a diet which is 500 calories a day to prepare her body for it by a dietitian who works at the private clinic. She is only allowed green vegetables, eggs and chicken. Seriously. However, she is still going to the gym on that diet, and burning quite a bit.

I've tried explaining to her how she shouldn't be working out on that few calories, as she won't be well, but she won't listen. So I thought I'd throw it out to you guys and see what you could come up with so I can tell her a bit more. Thank you! I thought I'd try it because I know there's a fair few people on here who will have a good old rant about it :)

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If she wants to bring her Net intake down to 0, or even go below that, she can go right ahead and enjoy the muscle wasting and lightheadedness, dizzines, fainting and complete lack of energy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Wow!

500 calories a day. If she is morbidly obese (don't want to jump to conclusions) & she's working with a dietician & the diet is temporary (getting ready for surgery) ....... I'm guessing the diet part must be OK. Exercise ON TOP of that?!? I don't know. Is the exercise "prescribed"? .... sounds kinda scary.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Wow!

500 calories a day. If she is morbidly obese (don't want to jump to conclusions) & she's working with a dietician & the diet is temporary (getting ready for surgery) ....... I'm guessing the diet part must be OK. Exercise ON TOP of that?!? I don't know. Is the exercise "prescribed"? .... sounds kinda scary.

For a start, she's not morbidly obese, she's getting her op private. Secondly, nope, she's not been told to exercise. She's a student nurse too, she'll collapse while she's working I reckon!