Is HIIT the most misused term on these boards?

Options

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Repeats of walking for a two minutes and jogging for one minute is a good workout, but it is not HIIT.
    That may in fact be high intensity for some. I think it's all relative.
    If you are doing HIIT, you wouldn't be able to sustain the jog for 1 minute. HIIT is going maximum capacity, and NOONE can sustain that for a minute. I struggle to do it for 30 seconds-I usually wind up around 20-25 seconds before I KNOW I'm slowing down. So while speed at maximum will vary person to person, the length of time that people can actually exert themselves at maximum capacity isn't going to be a minute for anyone.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Intervals are good whether or not they are HIIT, but those of you not doing HIIT shouldn't think we are reaping the benefits.
    Instead of accusing people (perhaps correctly) of misusing the term HIIT, and giving examples of what it is not, it would be a lot more helpful if you could spell out what IS HIIT...

EDITED TO ADD: I think I'm doing HIIT, and that's the term that my gym instructor used for the balls to the wall intervals I'm doing, but who knows if it's correct? Not me, and I'd like to know!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    JOKE: Well, to me it means Heparin Induced Thrombocytopenia :love: cause I'm a nurse.

But, I too, would like calrification of both terms HIT and Tabata
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY agree. I do HIIT 1-2x a week. I do it on a bike because I know I'll be flying off the back end of a treadmill if I had to go full speed on one. I'm sure people think I'm NUTS pedaling so freakin hard for 30 seconds at a time it looks like the bike will just take flight. In 16 minutes I am DRIPPING sweat. I didn't know the effects the first time I did it and nearly fell over getting off the bike. I now know to do a few minutes on the bike after, get off of it SLOWLY, hold onto it and stretch a bit before even attempting to walk. And then, when you walk, you walk like a flamingo because your muscles are just like "WTF just happened???" I haven't looked at the pedal thingy to see how fast I'm going when I'm going full speed. I'm not even sure I can concentrate to lift my head up to look at the thing, but next time I'll try.

Love this! Great description!! Especially this: "I'm sure people think I'm NUTS pedaling so freakin hard for 30 seconds at a time"
    I get looks all the time that look like they are thinking" what's up with this nut?" This morning Iwas kinda gasping for air and low grunting at the end of an interval and a couple walked by and looked at me all concerned like they thought I might be having a coronary or something!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Heart rate...
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Lactate.Threshold
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Intervals are good whether or not they are HIIT, but those of you not doing HIIT shouldn't think we are reaping the benefits.
    Instead of accusing people (perhaps correctly) of misusing the term HIIT, and giving examples of what it is not, it would be a lot more helpful if you could spell out what IS HIIT...

It depends on your definition of HIGH intensity. For weight loss benefit, It would be as fast as you can go for a length of time, maybe 1min, 30seconds, 1.5mins. etc... followed by a period of rest. I'd guess i'd classify it above "moderate" intensity.

The way intervals work is that on the rest period, you're body does it's best to cope with the stress it just experienced. In time recovery would be faster. You're really training the "recovery" when you do intervals. The more fit you are, the faster you recover.
    Brilliant, thanks for explaining. :smile:

In that case, yes I am doing HIIT (to improve my cardio, not for weight loss) I'm running to the absolute max, with my little legs whirring like a sewing machine for about 20 to 25 seconds, then recovering and doing it again and again and again. It's absolutely brutal, and a bit scary to be running that fast to be honest, I'm still a bit nervous of it all going horribly wrong, but I can tell it's making a huge difference to my fitness level. I'm mostly not logging it as HIIT on here, because I only do it for about 15 minutes, then stay on the treadmill for at least another 15 minutes and do a slow jog or a 15% "hillwalk" just to burn off a few more calories.
  • corrymeela
    corrymeela Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What is HIIT?
    it is doing an exercise at 100% heart rate -you should be barely able to do another second after about 30 secs.
    this means the sprint is both aerobic and anaerobic.
    you then work lightly for 30-60 secs.
    repeat for 20-30 mins
    a crucial part of HIIT is that in the light phase your heart rate doesnt drop below 65-70% of your max heart rate.
    For myself i jog for 10 mins to warm up,then do hiit -
    sprint up a hill until come to standstil,walk back down and repeat for 20 mins
    then 10 min jog after hiit.
    Hope this helps.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I only call it a HIIT workout if it made me nauseous or about to collapse.

^^^ THIS!

Actually its anything I do full intensity for 30 seconds and then half intensity for 30 seconds or shorter and repeat.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Heard this term a lot, still have no clue what HIIT is... someone please tell me!:)
    HIIT is my dog's name.....
  • jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The HI in HIIT is for High Intensity...... :)

which is equivalent to tempo effort atleast...

tempo effort = pace that can only be sustained for short bursts of time....lot higher than what would be your regular 5K race pace.....
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm so unfit that C25k at walking pace on the treadmill feels like HIIT to me sometimes - I never do it when I'm alone in the house in case I get into trouble ... worked out my VO2MAX from an hour's fast walk (for me) and it came out at something like 1 or 2

However I have walked 10km outside this week comfortably (I do use a HRM).

One day I will be able to run again ...
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    The Wikipedia article is decent, but short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

They mention a couple of different methods of HIIT.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    my spin teacher just posted this today for me. We do HIIT once a week every Monday. We do them to failure. We do 18 mins total MAX. (plus warm up and a song or two after then cool down) When you do them right they kick your butt.

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/High-Intensity-Interval-Training-for-Beginners.htm?cmp=276&memberid=62117862&lyrisid=24181853&emai
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    All HIIT workouts are intervals, but NOT all interval workouts are HIIT.

I'm not even a HIIT guy. I'm a distance runner, generally focused on marathon & half marathon training. I usually do intervals once a week (mile or half mile repeats). 7 x 1/2 mile repeats (at 5k pace) with 90 second jogs in between is a great workout for me, but it is not HIIT.

Repeats of walking for a two minutes and jogging for one minute is a good workout, but it is not HIIT.

Anyone who considers walking and jogging "High intensity" has a screw loose. They also probably log "food preparation" calories at 800 after eating 800 over their calories for the day...........
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Tabata might be another misunderstood term.

http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

Wrong: "I just did an hour of tabatas."
    Right: "Those tabatas made me crave death just to put an end to it."

True- but eeek- this blog is definitely not the most reputable reference with his link to the "HCG Protocol" at the bottom.
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    I just posted on another board about HIIT training but told everyone to be careful and start slowly. Do no more than 3 or 4 times a week. Who knew they were actually just talking about interval training instead of HIIT.