High protein "problem"

I am curious to hear if anyone else has experienced some of the same issues that I have since attempting to eat more of a higher protein diet.

I have been reading a bit on "Mark's Daily Apple" and am very interested in eating more of a "primal" diet. My initial goal is to change to a 40% protein / 30% carb / 30% fat diet (using these numbers to help keep track on MFP). ( was using the 50% carb, 30% protein. 20% fat model. The majority of the carbs I am getting are coming from fruits, veggies, dairy, and sugar (mostly from any protein shakes/bars). I should mention that I am currently in my fourth week of P90X, so I am getting six days of good exercise in as well.

Because I am often several hundred (or more) calories under my daily goals I keep a spreadsheet to track the grams of protein/carb/fat that I eat daily to make sure I am still on track. I have been averaging about 42% protein, 32% fat, 26% carb during the past 2 weeks.

Problem #1 is that I am having a tough time eating enough calories to meet my daily goals since cutting out almost all the grains (bread, pasta, rice, etc). I try to eat my exercise calories (which I track with a heart monitor), but I am failing on a daily basis. I find myself looking for calories and food that I don't really want in the evenings to catch up. Typically I end up anywhere from 400 - 800 calories short of what my "goal" should be. If I do end up closer, its because I am adding snacks in the evenings to catch up.

Problem #2 is that I am not nearly as hungry as I was before. I do take a "cheat day" once a week to enjoy the carbs I have removed from my daily diet, but I lost the cravings for carbs just a couple days after removing the breads, pastas, etc. I now have to remind my self to eat, which often means I forget, and then I end up tapering my intake the wrong way (low calories early in the day and higher at the end). On many days I might end up 1100-1200 calories under my goal if I ate just when I was hungry.

I am trying to lose weight (started at 247, now around 220, first goal is 190). For this reason I am not wanting to put my body in "starvation" mode and to slow my progress for too long. The past week and a half I have not seen the scale budge. I do feel that I am adding to lean body mass (slowly), which may be more as a result of muscle memory than building new muscle I would assume. However, really don't want to be stagnant for too long. Don't want the two problems I mentioned above to prohibit fat loss.

Some solutions I am considering might be adding more nuts (fat) which add a lot of calories as well, but I wouldn't need to eat a lot to get them. I need to add more veggies every day than I am right now, but that obviously doesn't jack up the calories.

I also might concentrate on getting up earlier to get a meal in prior to my workout, as I just am not very hungry after I exercise. I would rather eat more in the beginning of my day, but its hard to eat when I am just not hungry.

One thing I will say is that I feel great since making this change. I know that two weeks is not a long time, but I feel a noticeable difference since changing my food intake. All that and if I track my calories I am still not eating enough.

Any thoughts or similar experiences as I mentioned above?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading and any advice or thoughts you might feel like sharing.

Replies

• Have you tried a protein powder/shake?According to the one I use, one serving is 3 scoops and its just under 300 calories. I usually have one to two shakes a day, its great for recovery and might help you get up to what your calorie intake should be.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Perhaps you should look into protein shakes or adding ingredients to your shakes if you currently use. I find it's easier to drink calories than to eat them if I feel full.
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Definitely go with nuts. They're close to the macro balance you want, high in calories, and full of good fats. It's really easy to just throw them onto cereal or salads.

Also maybe have hummus as a dip with veggies. It's a good protein source and while it isn't exactly high in calories, it does add up pretty quickly. I know some people use it as a spread on sandwiches and wraps, too.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    I cut out grains for a few weeks to stop the horrible cravings and had some of the same issues. I found that nuts really helped me meet my caloric goals. I would try that, and possibly a small meal before your workout. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If you are not hungry try drinking more of your calories, and adding olive oil to soups, sauces, salads, or just pour a couple tablespoons right on your veggies, have nuts or seeds as a snack.

Another option is exercise less, since you are in a deficit already you do not need exercise (cardio) to help you lose. I would focus more of your exercise time on strength training (weighs) and do only minimal amount of cardio. Just do enough to keep you in shape and your heart strong, but keep it short and high intensity so you don't burn a ton of calories.
  • What about snacking with nut butters? I love sunflower butter and peanut butter with veggies. You could also add more healthy oils to your veggies (olive oil, virgin coconut oil, flax oil etc...)
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    While I have a lot further to go than you, I am struggling in the same way. Ever since I have been trying to increase my protien intake, I'm just not as hungry. Which is great in many respects but it also makes it hard to hit my calorie mark. I am not wanting to head towards protien supplements yet, as I don't feel as though I am working out hard enough to justify them. Not to mention that my body is still adjusting to the increased protien it is already receiving. I am currently doing the 30DS alternating with C25K, with one rest day a week.

I am hoping that someone will come with brilliant ideas! Perhaps adding some nuts to my day, preferrably in the morning may help.
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Try a huge breakfast (no cheating).

Try many smaller meals during the day so you're not hungry at night.

Drink lots of water. Especially before a meal, this will make you eat less.

Nuts are ok - but stick to almonds if possible - those are the best. Some nuts are far more fatty.

Try to eat foods that make you feel more full - see this site. The higher the number, the more full you'll feel after eating it:
    http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm

Sometimes I'll eat a can of salmon at night. It makes me feel so full I can skip breakfast the next day.

No more "cheat days".

Finally - look into casein protein powder. It makes you feel more full than does whey protein.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    I had to rearrange some of my meals in order to get in the calories I needed for the day! I had been eating only about 800-1000 calories a day and not eating any of my exercise calories and the scale wasn't budging. I was finally convinced last week to eat all my 1200 recommended calories and at LEAST half my exercise ones. My first couple days doing this, I had to eat a buffalo for dinner just to get my calories in.!! So I started eating a bigger breakfast and lunch, knowing I was going to exercise when I got home from work so that I didn't have to eat so much at night.

I'm not sure the nutritional values here but calorie dense foods like nuts and peanut butter may help you reach your goals. Both are pretty high in fat but pack in the calories!

Don't know if this is any help but good luck to you and keep up the good work!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Try a huge breakfast (no cheating).

Try many smaller meals during the day so you're not hungry at night.

Drink lots of water. Especially before a meal, this will make you eat less.

Nuts are ok - but stick to almonds if possible - those are the best. Some nuts are far more fatty.

Try to eat foods that make you feel more full - see this site. The higher the number, the more full you'll feel after eating it:
    http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm

Sometimes I'll eat a can of salmon at night. It makes me feel so full I can skip breakfast the next day.

No more "cheat days".

Finally - look into casein protein powder. It makes you feel more full than does whey protein.

I agree definately look into the casein over whey. And almonds are great but you could also add walnuts which are high in protein as well as casein rich foods such as milk, yogurt, cheese as casein is a milk protein.
  • jrstls
    jrstls Posts: 9
    Wow, 20 minutes and already a ton of very good replies.

I do incorporate a protein shake as a "recover drink" after exercising, which is about 280 cal (340 when including almond milk), so getting the protein isn't a problem so far. I average about 200g of protein a day already. Love that daily protein shake!

I will consider finding ways to "drink" in more calories as well. That is a good idea, as are many of the others that where mentioned above.

Thanks for the replies, hope more will come, these are very good suggestions. Thanks again.
  • kmp411
    kmp411 Posts: 30 Member
    Wow, 20 minutes and already a ton of very good replies.

I do incorporate a protein shake as a "recover drink" after exercising, which is about 280 cal (340 when including almond milk), so getting the protein isn't a problem so far. I average about 200g of protein a day already. Love that daily protein shake!

I will consider finding ways to "drink" in more calories as well. That is a good idea, as are many of the others that where mentioned above.

Thanks for the replies, hope more will come, these are very good suggestions. Thanks again.

I add a TBS of coconut oil to my protien shakes. Its a really good way to add in those cals

A
  • I'm primal and at first had the same problem. To fix it I started to add grass fed butter or olive oil to everything I cook. The calories add up quickly. I also drink two protein shakes a day, one after my workout and one before bed. You can add fresh fruit and cocnut milk to make a very tasty and calorie filled treat.

However I wouldn't go over board with nuts if you're trying to lose weight. I'd stick to just a handful a day.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    I'm Paleo/Primal and go over my cals everyday, yet continue to lose. It's great! I eat tons of meat, veggies, some nuts and fruits and eggs everyday. It you are trying to lose weight they advise against too many nuts and fruits.
  • 340 when including almond milk

I'd be careful when using almond milk, it's not strictly Primal and they sometimes sneak sweeterns in it.
  • jrstls
    Andy_sixpack...

Curious why you say no cheat days...

I have used them as a higher calorie day (zig-zagging if you will) and they have kept me on course for a 1.5 - 2.0 pound weight loss per week in the past (lost 37 pounds last year over a 5-6 month period).

On that day I typically have one meal out with friends and allow the carbs I typically avoid - but not horribly - then enjoy a dessert in the evening (or a piece of pizza if its available). the rest of the day is kept in line with what I do the rest of the week. The worst by-product of the "cheat day" is the heavy feeling of "why did I eat that" later...it reminds me of how anxious I am to get back to the healthier food the rest of the week. But I will admit it is something to look forward to beforehand when I can go out and order what I want.

No argument here, just curious to hear why you say no cheat day.
  • jrstls
    I'd be careful when using almond milk, it's not strictly Primal and they sometimes sneak sweeterns in it.

Any suggestions on a substitute for cows milk (high carbs)?
  • jrstls
    I'm primal and at first had the same problem. To fix it I started to add grass fed butter or olive oil to everything I cook. The calories add up quickly. I also drink two protein shakes a day, one after my workout and one before bed. You can add fresh fruit and cocnut milk to make a very tasty and calorie filled treat.

However I wouldn't go over board with nuts if you're trying to lose weight. I'd stick to just a handful a day.

You have hit my main concern. I was not anxious to add a lot of nuts for this reasoning. Guess I need to read a lot further into the primal diet than I have. I eat a lot of venison, and have always loved cooking it with butter, but that has been frowned on by so many people over the years. Would not have to twist my arm to go back to cooking it that way.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    There is unsweetened almond milk. You can add some honey for sweetner. I try not to do cow's milk or cheese due to lactose issues. I can tolerate mozzeralla
  • jrstls
    There is unsweetened almond milk. You can add some honey for sweetner. I try not to do cow's milk or cheese due to lactose issues. I can tolerate mozzeralla

Yeah, just went to the fridge to check (wife does the majority of the shopping), and we are using unsweetened "all-natural" almond mild.