Replacing 2 meals a day with fresh juice

Options

Replies

• jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Check out the documentary "Fat, Sick and Almost Dead". I watched it on Netflix. It is a fascinating documentary about a guy who decided to give juicing a go for 60 days. The result is pretty amazing. You might get some good information.

Good luck.
  • tnichols143
    Options
    Juicing is great!! You should watch the documentary (on netflix) called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. It's awsome!! the guy juices for 60 days straight and he looks so amazing! In addition to losing his extra weight, his skin glows! It made me think seriously about juicing. Also in the Gearson theory for treating Cancer, juicing is a major part of the program. So, i think its a healthy choice!! :-) Good Luck!!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I posted i could win $4000 in the very first post!

I don't believe $4000 is worth your health. Take a look at that baby you are holding in your picture.

She needs you to be healthy and to teach her healthy habits.

Without proper protein and fat intake you are doing damage to your body.
    ^^^This.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It would be around 800 cals a day for a few days and then jump back up to 1200 for a few days and then back to 800 and so on and so on...

I love how you say "jump back up to 1200" like it's enough.

You silly women and the idiotic things you do to lose weight.

It must be nice to be so wealthy that you think being hungry for a short while to win $4000 is idiotic.
    Losing weight for money IS idiotic.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    First off, whatever makes you feel satisfied...

3 things
    1-the poster may not want the protein to help build muscles, since on a weight loss race...wouldn't want to gain muscle weight for the race (but is best for overall weight loss and ease of maintanance)

2-I have read a lot of articles about how you shouldn't waste calories on juices (even fresh ones). Maybe do smoothies instead, so you get the rest of the health benefits of the fuits/veggies.

3-I think that you will risk making yourself even more hungry due to the sugar/insulin spikes from just the juice as well.

Good luck, $4K is a heck of a prize!

edit to add: just saw your response (I think is yours) about if the 1200 calories a day is wrong. Keep in mind that the 1200 is NET calories, meaning that when you add intake and remove exercise burn, it should equal 1200. So you can either eat 1200 cal and not exercise or eat 1700 and exercise for 500. It is the way that MFP is built...if you want to eat more, you have to exercise more.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Did you know that if you lose 100% muscle it'd only take a deficit of 3500 to lose 5.8lbs.....

This "plan" sounds like you are setting yourself up to lose a ton of muscle. And who doesn't want that?

Oh wait, most people don't want to lose muscle.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It would be around 800 cals a day for a few days and then jump back up to 1200 for a few days and then back to 800 and so on and so on...

[/quote

1200 calories is my daily goal according to this web site! Are you telling me that it is wrong?

Yes, it is wrong.... What is your BMR? I'm 26, 5'3", and 167 (so at the very least close to you in weight) My BMR is 1466. That means I need to eat at least 1466 on average daily to sustain my body's natural functions like breathing, pumping blood, and blinking. Check your BMR on here and go from there.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Everyone is so judgemental here! Get off it hell I'd eat nothing but a fruit a day for 4 grand!! ha but seriously juicing isnt the worst thing you could do it sounds like you know you need more which is why you are cycling if its working for you go for it! Good Luck!!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

:) I like when people say the things I've been thinking.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Inadequate protein and fat. 800-1200 calories a day? If 4000$ is worth wrecking your metabolism, losing muscle mass and having a HIGHER Body Fat percentage, go forward. You can use your winnings to lipo the fat you'll likely gain back.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so judgemental here! Get off it hell I'd eat nothing but a fruit a day for 4 grand!! ha but seriously juicing isnt the worst thing you could do it sounds like you know you need more which is why you are cycling if its working for you go for it! Good Luck!!
    Calling people judgemental is judgemental. Bless your heart. :flowerforyou:
  • lduncan0044
    Options
    I posted i could win $4000 in the very first post!

One thing I haven't seen, and I apologize if I missed it, is how long the contest runs? How long do you plan to do this?

its a 12 week challenge, we only have 9 weeks left. I've lost 14 pounds so far
  • Skurz47
    Skurz47 Posts: 15
    Options
    I think you could come up with a better plan and aren't going to burn any real amount of fat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Did you know that if you lose 100% muscle it'd only take a deficit of 3500 to lose 5.8lbs.....

This "plan" sounds like you are setting yourself up to lose a ton of muscle. And who doesn't want that?

Pay me $4000 and I'll try my best to lose muscle. I can build it back later.
  • lduncan0044
    Options
    A lot of people I think are assuming the OP is drinking fruit juice. True, juicers remove fiber, but if she's drinking vegetable juice, particularly from things like kale, celery, and cucumbers, she shouldn't be getting a lot of sugar.

I rarely put any fruit in my juice, mainly celery carrots cucumbers
  • chicklidell
    Options
    After a workout your body has about a 30 minute window to get good protein to its muscles. A lot of people take a protein shake to get it there the fastest. Whole foods take time to digest so that means the protein might not make it to your muscles in 30 minutes. Protein shakes are great because they are already broken down and get to your muscles the fastest. Think of a spounge that has been sitting out in the sun all day. When u throw some water on it the spounge soaks it up. This is what happens when you give your muscles protein after a workout, your muscles soak up the protein!

I asked a registered dietician about this protein within an hour. Her response was, unless you are of elite athlete status, {professional/Olympic level} that protein immediately after workout is not necessary. As long as you get an increase amt throughout the day of workout, its fine.

You are right..most people don't need to worry about post workout nutrition, or the "said" window of opportunity. I think replacing atwo meals with juice, isn't an optimal way to cut. Eat a lean protein meal instead, you'll be under in sugars and carbs and it will fill you up for very few calories.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

But she only said she could win, not that she would. I could win $26 million dollars with one lottery ticket too.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Calling people judgemental is judgemental. Bless your heart. :flowerforyou:

judgmental*
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

But she only said she could win, not that she would. I could win $26 million dollars with one lottery ticket too.

Just like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Personally, it's not something I would do. I would be too hungry and I usually get headaches when I don't eat for a while, so there's no way I could live off juice until dinner! As for whether it's the healthiest way to lose weight, I'd say probably not, but I can't say for sure for you because we're all different. If it's something you plan to do long term, talk to a doctor or a nutritionist first.