People with food allergies

Options
2»

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My recent reactions to peanuts has been hives and severe asthma. The macadamia thing started suddenly, I used to be fine, then one day I started getting massive stomach pains if I went near them, cold sweats, feel like I am going to be sick.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i don't know if what i have is a dairy intolerance or allergy or neither or both. when i drink milk or have soft serve frozen yogurt it causes immediate GI distress. when i eat things that have been made in or with butter, i can immediately tell because my mouth becomes sore and irritated. any protein bar made of casein or whey makes me feel like i can't breathe. greek yogurt i can tolerate completely, so that's the oddity. i had an allergen test done for casein, whey, and a variety of specific milk proteins, and none of them came up positive. so i avoid all dairy except greek yogurt, and it works out pretty well for me.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Allergies can be mild or severe. With a mild allergy, you might be okay to eat a bit now and then, with a serious one you may be dead with a little bit of cross-contamination.

Pam
    I'm allergic to tomatoes but I still eat them because I love pasta. The consequences are worth it for me :)

Surely that's an intolerance then, rather than an allergy? I'd be dead if I ate oranges.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Sore mouth and can't breath - allergy, not intolerance. In yogurt, the proteins are partially digested by the bacterial culture, so that may be why you're okay with that.

You can be allergic to something and never have it show up on an allergy test. They can be funny that way. The "gold standard" for a food allergy is if you have an allergic reaction when you eat it. LOL.

Pam
    i don't know if what i have is a dairy intolerance or allergy or neither or both. when i drink milk or have soft serve frozen yogurt it causes immediate GI distress. when i eat things that have been made in or with butter, i can immediately tell because my mouth becomes sore and irritated. any protein bar made of casein or whey makes me feel like i can't breathe. greek yogurt i can tolerate completely, so that's the oddity. i had an allergen test done for casein, whey, and a variety of specific milk proteins, and none of them came up positive. so i avoid all dairy except greek yogurt, and it works out pretty well for me.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to wheat. That's right...not celiac disease...a proper histamine response-allergy. To wheat. And YES I LOVE my allergen. LOVE IT! I love it so much, that when I see people who *could* eat wheat, deciding to give it up, I think, what's wrong with you people? EAT IT. Its sooo delicious. So yeasty....so fantastic....so....

Yes. I like it.

(*and no...not all allergies are life threatening. I have hay fever too, but, thank goodness, it just makes me sneeze...not die.)
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    I have a severe intolerance to Mussels. Sad because I used to LOVE them, but suddenly when I was 21 I became violently sick for hours after eating them (even if i just ate one).....and it's happened everytime I ate them after that.

We were worried it was going to be a shellfish intolerance all together but I can still eat shrimp, calamari and clams :smile:
    I will never touch another mussel again!

Me too and I get the same reaction you do .. which is very different to the ones produced by the fruits which for me are way more scary....I can just about deal with being sick !

Squid also does the same thing :-(

I hadn't thought about whether I might be allergic to nuts .. I don't actually like them so I don't eat them but worth keeping further away now!

Anyone else here get hay fever ? I get really bad hay fever from about May until the end of September and I am sure I read somewhere that food allergies and hay fever are related ....
  • pdworkman
    Options
    My son's bmom was allergic to grass, and he reacts to grains (grass family).

A lot of oral allergy syndromes are worse when certain pollens are in the air.

For example, if you are allergic to birch, then you may react to kiwi, greens and spices from the parsley family, hazelnuts, sunflower, beans, figs, nightshades, grains, walnuts, buckwheat, or almonds. You may only react to those foods when the birch trees are in bloom, and be okay the rest of the time, or you may find that your food reactions suddenly get worse during that time.

Or if you are allergic to ragweed, you may find that you can't eat bananas or melons while it is in bloom.

If you want to know some of the common cross reactions, message me with your e-mail address, and I'll send you my food families document that references them.

Pam
    Anyone else here get hay fever ? I get really bad hay fever from about May until the end of September and I am sure I read somewhere that food allergies and hay fever are related ....
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

I get hay fever now we live in the country. I didn't as a child (also in the country) nor in London in my 20s, but I get it pretty badly now. Then again, all my allergies have come on as an adult.