Calorie Deficit - I've studied but still confused

Options
I have read many threads on this forum, as well as many links that members have posted about calorie deficits, starvation mode myths, etc and I am almost more confused now then when I started.

First off, I am extremely overweight. I just finished my 3rd week and I'm down 22 lbs. I want to make sure that I am doing the most healthy eating/exercising as well as the most bang for my buck so to speak. I currently have a MFP goal of 2740 calories per day to lose 2 lbs per week. Being this overweight, is going under that calorie level causing me harm to my weight loss?

Since I have been eating much healthier, I have found it hard to get to that 2700 cal level every day. It is even worse when I exercise. Some exercise days I finish with 900+ calories under my calorie goal. I'm just not hungry, and it's counter-intuitive to me to eat just for the sake of reaching the calorie goal when I'm not hungry. My concern is with the whole calorie deficit/starvation mode. Many of the articles I see have people posting who appear to be close to their goal. I haven't seen many from people who have 100+ lbs to lose. I'm still eating over 1500 calories/day, but I am way under on my MFP goal.

I know that I can't compare life to a reality show, but my wife and I watch Biggest Loser, and it doesn't make sense. I read articles and posts how people should eat "X" amount of calories each day and eat back their workout calories or they go into starvation mode. On that show these people supposedly workout all day long. I can't imagine they are eating back all their workout calories and still losing 10+ lbs/wk (for the biggest people). So does the whole calorie deficit apply the same way to people with 100+ lbs to lose?

I know this has been one long ramble and I apologize. My train of thought is all over the place at this point. I am really just trying to do what is best for me, and in the process I have become extremely confused. I would really appreciate any information about how to do this the right way.

Thanks!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    First I want to say Congrats on your weight loss so far, and your children are beautiful.

Going under in calories can cause harm to your health. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to functions. If you have to lose a lot of weight it's better, in my opinion, to take it slow. You don't want to get frustrated and quit. You didn't gain over night and you will not lose over night, the right way. Healthy eating and exercise is the best way. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    2740 cals a day to lose 2lbs a week is quite an enormous amount. I'm a big guy - 250lbs at present, and my TDEE maintenance calories is somewhere around 2700. (I.e. if I ate 2700 a day I wouldn't lose an inch.)

BUT, if you've lost 22lbs in 3 weeks, something is obviously working for you and working well.

What you're probably seeing is a drop in fluid weight, especially if you were extremely large. Hopefully in the next few weeks you'll see the speed slow down to a more "healthy" sustainable rate - say 2-5lbs a week if you've got over 100lbs to lose. It's quite common for big folks like us to lose fast in the first few weeks.

I'd say keep doing exactly what you're doing and check in with the forums if you hit a plateau or notice a sudden dramatic change in your loss.

Way to go, keep it up! :-)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i thnk since you have so much to lose, it wont be a huge deal if you dont hit your goals each day - but i would try to get as close as possible. i know sometimes its hard and you dont feel hungry, im the same way.. but i make myself eat at least my daily goal before exercise. i eat as many of my exercise calories as i can and if i dont get them all in, i make up for it on sunday so that my weekly deficit adds up. i dont want my body to get used to so little food.. i want to be able to eat normal amounts when i hit my goal weight. and really, anything less than 1500 a day and im grumpy and tired.
  • sectornine
    sectornine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses.

Yes, 2740 is a lot of calories to eat in one day, that is why I have my question. Take today as an example. I have eaten breakfast and lunch and still have almost 2000 calories to eat before bed tonight. If I eat healthy foods, 2000 calories in the next 7 hours is going to be near impossible. Now take into account that I have not gone to the gym yet. Do you see where my question is? Can I eat 2000 calories? Sure, but it will not be from healthy foods. I try and get close to my cal goal, but if I go to the gym, it is damn near impossible (if I continue eating healthy). This seems to be the case for most days. I am way under by dinner and have anywhere from 1200 - 2500 calories to eat (depending on gym or no gym).

Like I said before, I am trying to do this as a life change. I do not feel I am crash/fad dieting. I am changing my lifestyle. I slipped into the whole fast/processed food trap, and am tired of being unhealthy.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What do you have your activity level set at? When you set your activity level, did you count exercise in that? If you did, you should not be eating back exercise calories since your calorie goal contemplates that exercise already.

I'm asking because I wonder if you set your activity level too high (meaning, including exercise) which would generate an artificially high calorie goal. The way I recommend, and I think the way MFP is set up, is that your activity level should be set EXCLUDING exercise, so then you only add the exercise that you actually DO, and eat those calories back.

I work out 6 days a week....but I have a desk job, so I set my activity level as sedentary.
  • sectornine
    sectornine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have my activity set at light active because I am on my feet a majority of the day. I didn't take into account working out when I set it up because I am not always able to get in the same kind of workout. My calorie goal is not artificially high, I am just that overweight.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    In that case, I think you want to try to hit your calorie goal as much as possible, although I would definitely say you have more room for error and not to sweat it too much if you don't get there some days, particularly high exercise days. Try some calorie-dense foods like nuts & cheese to get there if you can.

I'm a huge proponent of eating exercise calories because I feel like not doing so just trains your body to 'live' on less and less calories -- something I try desperately to avoid!

Another suggestion would be to try calorie cycling where you eat under your goal some days and over on others, or perhaps a spike day a week.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 2500 calories a day, you can sustain much larger deficits without suffering adverse effects, as long as you are following a balanced workout program-that includes resistance training. No one eating that much is going to ever go into "starvation mode".

People who run into issues are those who are trying to get away with the bare minimum and combine that with a lot of high-intensity exercise.

If you are that big, the "2lb a week rule" doesn't apply -- at least not for a while. If you have concerns, talk to a registered dietitian for some real professional advice.
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I AM NOT A DIETITIAN…. However... If you are planning on committing to a program/lifestyle change of this magnitude, it is important that you see a physician. They will be able to tell you how many calories you should be consuming in a day.

Also, I feel as though I will eventually get kicked off this sight for saying this, but you do NOT need to count calories. It should serve you more as a guideline. You should be listening to your body!!! If you're hungry, eat. If not, then by all means don't. You should be eating good, healthy food, and staying active. Keep in mind however, that even a glass of milk, amazing Chobani greek yogurt, or apple slices can help you get a bit closer to your magic number.

That being said.. 1,200 calories is too low. I would imagine that somewhere in the 2,000 range would be more appropriate. To be sure, see your doctor! They love this sh&t…
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2740 is a lot of calories to eat in one day, that is why I have my question. Take today as an example. I have eaten breakfast and lunch and still have almost 2000 calories to eat before bed tonight. If I eat healthy foods, 2000 calories in the next 7 hours is going to be near impossible.

Congrats on making this life changing step in your life!!!!

I am not an expert but one thing if I understood you correctly... by afternoon you've only consumed 740 calories??? That's not a lot. Add in a snack increase portions or add some healthy fat. I'm not talking about eating all 2700 calories but maybe upping meals by 100 calories or adding mid-morning snack.
  • SwissTracey
    SwissTracey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think I understand your problem. I have a simalar problem. I should eat according to MFP 1300 per day. That is not hard to do, its when I workout I can't eat all the extra calories. I often burn between 600 and 900 at the gym per day. I could eat them all but it would be unhealthy foods and I would be eating them just to eat. So what I do is if I don't exercise I eat the 1300. If I do exercise, regardless of how much I burn I eat between 1400-1500 calories. I think you just have to find what is working for you and stick too it. I would alway make sure you eat the minium that MFP recommends.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I can only respond with what my Doctor has told me -- Men can safely lose weight at 1500-1800 calories a day; women 1000-1200. With that said, I do that myself, but I do go see him monthly so he can monitor my loss. I take multi-vitamin, Vitamin D and Fish oil per his direction. I have to assume that those are required as I do go to the "low" end of my calorie range.

Make sure you eat enough protein whatever calorie goal you stick to. Very important.

** Just a further note -- you really should see a Doctor before you start weight loss especially for a large amount. They check things like blood work, EKG, etc. It's safer than going it alone.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 2500 calories a day, you can sustain much larger deficits without suffering adverse effects, as long as you are following a balanced workout program-that includes resistance training. No one eating that much is going to ever go into "starvation mode".

People who run into issues are those who are trying to get away with the bare minimum and combine that with a lot of high-intensity exercise.

If you are that big, the "2lb a week rule" doesn't apply -- at least not for a while. If you have concerns, talk to a registered dietitian for some real professional advice.

This exactly. Eventually you will have to start trying to get closer to your calorie goal as it will be smaller.

Just wanted to add two things - 1. you are right about the Biggest Loser, but also remember they are under constant medical and "professional" supervision. Not that I agree the show is the best example of a healthy, realistic sustainable weight loss plan.
    2. Often when people say they can't get all their calories in, they are eating low fat/low cal versions of some food. In those cases, it would be better to choose the full version of those things. Low fat or low calorie is not necessarily "healthier" so if you can afford to eat the full versions, do it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2740 is a lot of calories to eat in one day, that is why I have my question. Take today as an example. I have eaten breakfast and lunch and still have almost 2000 calories to eat before bed tonight. If I eat healthy foods, 2000 calories in the next 7 hours is going to be near impossible.

Congrats on making this life changing step in your life!!!!

I am not an expert but one thing if I understood you correctly... by afternoon you've only consumed 740 calories??? That's not a lot. Add in a snack increase portions or add some healthy fat. I'm not talking about eating all 2700 calories but maybe upping meals by 100 calories or adding mid-morning snack.

I also agree with this.
  • Paxnyokes
    Paxnyokes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Snacks are key to reving up your metabolism. I have an early breakfast at about 6:45am before I send my kids off on the school bus. By 9am, I'm ready for my first snack and my second by 11am. Lunch is usually between 12:30 and 1pm. Having set times for snacks and meals will help you get closer to your calorie goal.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weightloss so far and for taking charge of your life... I have quite a bit of experience so lets see if I can give you a few pointers. First off make sure if you have not already, get to a Doctor and get a full work up. You really need to know if your up against any health problems. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, Severely Fatty Liver, Severe Vitamin d deficits, but was very fortunate to find out that I did not have any heart problems. I began working with a Dietician immediately, we establish that at 560 lbs. I was consuming close to 6000 calories a day. When we started there wasn't a whole lot of emphasis on calories as much as my carbohydrates. Now alot of this had to do with my Diabetes ( I had A1c of 10) we need to get me out of the danger zone. We concentrated on cleaning up my diet. I ate nothing healthy it was all junk food, fast food, candy, cookies, etc... So a 32 gallon trash can came in and out with the bad and in with the good... Chicken, Fish, Lean Beef, veggies, fruits...She set me on a 2500 calorie meal plan with emphasis on getting 60 grams of carbs at my main meals and 20 grams at my snacks (3 meals and 3 snacks a day) In the beginning I seen big lose (11 lbs. week 1 and 9 lbs. week 2) then my weight start leveling off to 2-3 lbs. a week which is right where she wanted me. I couldn't walk at the beginning and actually had to lose 170 lbs. in the water before I could get fitted with braces to do land based exercise. Now I split time between both and am nearing the end of my journey. I can tell you calories do become very important as the weight gets less and less and that is why I am on here since October. My calories goal is set at 2450 a day and that is with a deficit of 500 calories to have a 1 lb. a week weight loss, now I am a firm believer in eating back my exercise calories and because of that I split train most days and because of my exercise I consume around 3200 calories a day and am still losing 1 to 2 lbs. a week 31 months into my journey. Now I heard you say it seems hard to get your calories in and that is where we differ. There are plenty of source that have good fats that will allow you to get to your calorie goal. First example my daily breakfast is 3 pcs. of Brownberry Health Nut toast with All Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter, a Dan Active yogurt, a cup of coffee with 3 scoops of pure cane sugar, and a Glass of 1% Milk that one meal gets me 840 calories... I eat Almonds and 30 Almonds are around 140 calories. Milk is another source of calories. I have a glass of 1% Chocolate Milk and it nets me 300 calories (normally have this right a bedtime) these are just a few examples but you can get your calories in trust me. Now it is not the end all be all but I use a HRM (Polar FT60) to track my calories burned more closely. I eat back 85% of my exercise calories leaving the 15% for errors in my counts. Hope this help and Good Luck on your journey......
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    Just on "starvation mode" - as I understand it - FORGET ABOUT IT. Its basis is in an experiment that dealt with men with very low body fat percentage and actually starved them. It (if it even exists outside famine like conditions) applies to small people with little fat to lose.
    At your size, a large deficit is safe. The best thing to do is consult a doctor.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    also, on MFP is the first time i've ever heard about eating back exercise calories. I do not and lose weight just fine. The trick is to not eat 1200 cals and expect to be able to exercise. Also on the Biggest Loser they do not eat back their exercise calories. They eat between 1500 and 1800 cals a day. (as far as I know, but they definitely do not eat back their exercise calories)
  • JennyAnn35
    Options
    I also have 100+ to lose. My nutritionist said that as long as I do not fall below 1200 that is ok. So I would see no problem with you cutting back to closer to 2000 rather than 2700. The fear is often that if you lose the weight to fast you will gain it back, but if you make this new way of eating a real and true life style change, and don't look at is as a diet, than that does not need to be a fear. Great job so far!!

15852571.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat 2700+ calories and lose weight lol. Large deficits may work for you now, but as you lose more weight, it'll become harder. Try to eat as close to your goals as possible. Eat food higher in fats to help.