HEY YOU RUNNERS OUT THERE!!

Options
So, I'm beginner runner (wanna be). I live on a hilly road. Going down a hill is fine, going up the hill...I start to get discomfort in my trapezius (above shoulder, neck area). Is it my breathing pattern? I concentrate on being relaxed when I run and breath. Sometimes I get discomfort when I am on the elliptical when I'm pushing it. It's not a sharp pain, just discomfort. Wanting to know what I need to do..or if I'm doing something wrong..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance~

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    So, I'm beginner runner (wanna be). I live on a hilly road. Going down a hill is fine, going up the hill...I start to get discomfort in my trapezius (above shoulder, neck area). Is it my breathing pattern? I concentrate on being relaxed when I run and breath. Sometimes I get discomfort when I am on the elliptical when I'm pushing it. It's not a sharp pain, just discomfort. Wanting to know what I need to do..or if I'm doing something wrong..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance~

The first day I did C25K I got very sharp pains there. It nearly made me quit. I can't really say for sure how to reduce them as day 1 was the only time its happened to me.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I vote for slow down. Run and walk up your hill until you can get up it without stopping.
  • Jumpin2thefire
    Options

Thank you in advance~

I have been running for a nearly half a year now and I get those pains sometimes too. I just try to run through it and it usually fades away. It seems to happen if I am excessively fidgeting with my gloves or gear while continuing to run. Running while making those movements seems to upset my trapezius.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Well, glad it's not just me having this pain. Thanks again..I'll keep checking to see if there are any more posts later. :)
  • Ris1432
    Ris1432 Posts: 11
    Options
    Maybe concentrate on your posture a bit. If you are staring down at your feet and trying to strain up a hill it may be throwing your balance off just enough to cause the discomfort. Keep up the good work!
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I have been running for almost two years now. I have read in many places that the chest muscles sometimes tighten up and/or may become cramped, much like any other muscle when your oxygen saturation is insuffient. Usually when you continue the conditioning the pains subside.

I have also read the pain in the abdominal cavitiy (common also) can be caused by eating or drinking too soon before a run. The abdominal pain could be related to our organs located in the abdominal cavity bumping/bruising while we run.

I'd say try to pull back a little bit and keep your breathing under control this should help.
  • Jumpin2thefire
    Options
    I have also read the pain in the abdominal cavitiy (common also) can be caused by eating or drinking too soon before a run. The abdominal pain could be related to our organs located in the abdominal cavity bumping/bruising while we run.

It's commonly referred to as a side stitch and to make them go away I pinch my stomach right under the right side of my ribcage with my hand being up against my ribs. That usually makes them go away, not always but usually.