Ugh ... I ate an expired cereal bar.

Options
So, I was delighted that the convenience store in my office had re-stocked the Milk & Cereal Bars in Cocoa Puffs! Unfortunately, I had already scarfed it down before I noticed the expiration date... Feb 8! That's more than a month expired! Should I be worried? Or are there enough preservatives it that thing to make it edible until next year? :grumble:

Replies

• yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    So, I was delighted that the convenience store in my office had re-stocked the Milk & Cereal Bars in Cocoa Puffs! Unfortunately, I had already scarfed it down before I noticed the expiration date... Feb 8! That's more than a month expired! Should I be worried? Or are there enough preservatives it that thing to make it edible until next year? :grumble:
  • sandas23
    sandas23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It won't harm you at all.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Those things are like candy bars, they never go bad :laugh:
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    That's more like a "best by" date. The worst that's happened is you've eaten a cereal bar that's a little stale.
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    Thanks... That's a good way of thinking about it. Though my mind keeps wandering to the premiere episode of that short-lived sitcom "Teen Angel," with the guy who dies from eating old hamburger. Of course, this was not a hamburger. :laugh:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry.
    I agree, it's more like a "best by" date.... usually stores pull them after that date but they are usually still edible with no consequences.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Thanks... That's a good way of thinking about it. Though my mind keeps wandering to the premiere episode of that short-lived sitcom "Teen Angel," with the guy who dies from eating old hamburger. Of course, this was not a hamburger. :laugh:

I think i remember that show
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    [I think i remember that show

Yeah, it had a one-season stint on TGIF... :wink:
  • bootilicious
    bootilicious Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oh, it should be ok, I have stuff in my fridge that are probably older than that:)
  • lanasgurl
    lanasgurl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is kinda off the subject but reminded me of an email I received the other day and thought I would pass it on...

From Snopes:
    I recently made a batch of pancakes for my healthy 14-year-old son, using a mix that was in our pantry. He said that they tasted 'funny,' but ate them anyway. About 10 minutes later, he began having difficulty breathing and his lips began turning purple. I gave him his allergy pill, had him sit on the sofa and told him to relax. He was wheezing while inhaling and exhaling.

My husband, a volunteer Firefighter and EMT, heated up some water, and we had my son lean over the water so the steam could clear his chest and sinuses. Soon, his breathing became more regular and his lips returned to a more normal color. We checked the date on the box of pancake mix and, to my dismay, found it was very outdated. As a reference librarian at an academic institution, I have the ability to search through many research databases. I did just that, and found an article the next day that mentioned a 19-year-old male DYING after eating pancakes made with outdated mix. Apparently, the mold that forms in old pancake mix can be toxic!

When we told our friends about my son's close call, we were surprised at the number of people who mentioned that they should check their own pancake mix since they don't use it often, or they had purchased it some time ago. With so many people shopping at warehouse-type stores and buying large sizes of pancake mix, I hope your readers will take the time to check the expiration date on their boxes.

Also, beware of outdated Bisquick, cake, brownie and cookie mixes.

Here is the snopes link:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I freakin' loved that show!
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options

Teen Angel was the best! I will youtube it now.