Weighing your food...precooked or postcooked

Options
Do you weigh your food before or after you cook it...

Replies

• maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    Before
  • lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Usually before too. If I eat at someone's house or the canteen, I do cooked: I try to estimate how many cup sizes of pasta, salad etc.
  • epcorne
    epcorne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Before :)
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why everything is done before cooking.

It would seem a piece of meat would shrink after cooking.
    While things like rice or pasta expand after cooking.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I do it after cooking. Seems like it would be more accurate in my head. no?
  • Jack_mc
    Jack_mc Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Depends upon the meal :D sometimes b4 with some stuff, yet chicken i always do after. Also some of nutritional info is after cooked :D also sometimes the database on here says cooked or not for some foods :D go with however u feel is right. Bit of both :D x
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Cooked or uncooked I have to use a food from the database whose data is based on that state. I can't use a "raw chicken" entry if I'm weighing cooked chicken. Raw chicken has a lot of water that evaporates when you cook it so cooked chicken will have more calories per gram.

If I'm cooking a meal I'll weigh everything raw then add the ingredients to a recipe.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well i do everything cooked burt I never know if I'm doing what I'm supposed to.

Problem is, with the MFP database, the vast majority of it is user submitted, so you have no way of knowing whether the values were entered based on cooked or uncooked food.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use raw weights, just like the restaurant chains, watch their menu's you'll see a * beside steaks or hamburger notifying you that it refers to pre-cooked weight.

Taking a slab of meat at 8oz raw, cooked blue-rare might lose next to nothing, same piece cooked through to well-done may well weigh an ounce or 2 less depending on quality of the cut etc. The only way "2" people can get the "same" result from the same piece of meat is to use the raw weight
    Same with pasta etc. Starting with it raw you'll be able to get the 'same' calorie count from the same package in the end though you cook it al dente (still with a crisp) while they cook it SO much that it's about to fall apart from all the additional water.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why everything is done before cooking.

It would seem a piece of meat would shrink after cooking.
    While things like rice or pasta expand after cooking.

I do it before because it's easier to measure your ingredients before you cook. It's very simple. You choose RAW meat and UNCOOKED pasta/rice when you log using measurements taken before cooking.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Both: meat after cooking, if i am making a recipe then pre-cooked. Generally veggies are pre-cooked weight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Depends. If i'm making a recipe like chili, I do the measurements raw.
    If I'm making chicken breasts or something, I used the cooked weight (because I usually some random fraction of the chicken breast at a time).

The answer is, do it however is convenient, just as long as you log it accordingly.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I tend to go with before cooking as it is far more reliable. Most caloric information is given on the precooked state. So for say a sauce, if you cook it, it will lose moisture (making it weigh less) but will simply condense the fat/sugars altering the accuracy. The only exceptions to this would be with meats, however, i would weight anything used in the cooking process beforehand (oil, butter, shortening, breadcrumbs, etc). Typically though, if you're using low fat turkey or chicken, small differences in weight might only amount to small differences on average- I wouldn't fret them too much. What you have to watch out for are the secret calories that come from sauces, oils, creams, and butter. Going a little overboard with these will have a lot greater calorie swing then whatever miss estimate you might make in a measurement of turkey or chicken.
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    Before!
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    just wanted to add another thing i kind of figured out in my year on MFP. As you use MFP so long as you are CONSISTENT you will get a general feeling of your metabolism. So if you set yourself up to lose 2 pounds a week but are only losing 1 pound a week, you can be somewhat confident you are not 100% accurate. The easiest thing i've found to do, is just change your caloric goal. You might be miss measuring your exercise or your food intake, but if you adjust your calorie goal until you get the pace that you want and remain consistent in your technique who cares if the exact numbers are dead on? I think its best to tweak things on MFP until you get the pace you want. So if you tend to overestimate your calories my 10%, reduce your calorie goal by 10% and continue doing what youre doing. Dont make it too hard on yourself!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Cooked or uncooked I have to use a food from the database whose data is based on that state. I can't use a "raw chicken" entry if I'm weighing cooked chicken. Raw chicken has a lot of water that evaporates when you cook it so cooked chicken will have more calories per gram.

If I'm cooking a meal I'll weigh everything raw then add the ingredients to a recipe.

This as most ingredients unless specified are in their raw state - the reason being the variation in water due to cooking changing the calorie density.
  • corrymeela
    corrymeela Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    foods which absorb a lot of water should be weighed after cooking-
    eg 100g uncooked rice weighs 300g cooked.its about 120 cal/100g cooked,if you used dry weight 100g=360 cal
    the nutritional label on the food states if it uses cooked weight.
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Crazy... I just did a search on this as I was preparing my dinner since I am trying to be more accurate and measure. But anywho, I found the following article that was very helpful to me. It basically says weigh your meats both before and after, and all your grains, before.

http://www.skinny-bits.com/2010/04/weighing-your-food-raw-vs-cooked.html
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    so if i allow myself 6oz (or whatever amount) of ground turkey at a meal, and i weigh it after it is cooked...am i calculating too little or too many calories? i've been weighing it after i cook it.
  • blooomers
    blooomers Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    why are you weighing your food? should i? :embarassed: