Beginners Anyone?

Options
I'm a beginner. I couldn't run a mile to save my life, hehe.

I just started working on getting in shape. I've been doing yoga and classical stretch for almost a month. These days I'm alternating between power yoga and yoga zone every morning.

I also work out in the afternoon but I haven't decided on what I wanted to do yet. I tried pilates yesterday but I didn't feel stronger afterward as I do with yoga.

I think this afternoon I'll try out Power 90 ... the VERY beginning though, 1-2 cardio abs. I hope I'm strong enough to finish! I read the other Power 90 threads but it's all chinese to me, lol.

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner. I couldn't run a mile to save my life, hehe.

I just started working on getting in shape. I've been doing yoga and classical stretch for almost a month. These days I'm alternating between power yoga and yoga zone every morning.

I also work out in the afternoon but I haven't decided on what I wanted to do yet. I tried pilates yesterday but I didn't feel stronger afterward as I do with yoga.

I think this afternoon I'll try out Power 90 ... the VERY beginning though, 1-2 cardio abs. I hope I'm strong enough to finish! I read the other Power 90 threads but it's all chinese to me, lol.
  • valw97
    valw97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have heard good things about Power 90 but have never tried it myself. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Sounds like you're on your way to good health. :smile:
  • xfluffyfrogx
    Options
    I have always heard good things about pilates or even kick boxing. I know my mom used to do both and said that they both really kicked her butt and worked out lots of different areas. I have never heard of power 90 what is that? I am always interested in different work outs to keep myself moving and changing things up a little bit.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    I tried Windsor Pilates and I didn't have enough room for it. I kept bumping into things.

Power 90 is a fitness sytem by Tony Horton. The video I'm doing is Sweat Cardio 1–2 ... it's supposed to be an aerobic workout, just over 35 minutes of various cardio, kickboxing, and other "fun moves". There's also a Sculpt Circut that goes with it but I'm already in love with my power yoga workouts and don't need any further "toning" right now.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Oi, that was too hard. I think I could have kept up better if they shifted target areas around more. But I need to build up more stamina before trying that again. I finished it, but I'll probably be sore tomorrow.

I guess it's back to yoga. I'm going to go ahead and get the full Yoga Zone collection as I've been enjoying the ones I'm borrowing. They're adaptable for beginners but you can easily tune it up for a hard workout when needed. I thought it would be easy by now but I just keep going deeper into the poses.

Anyway, I guess there aren't many beginners around here. Does anyone do yoga?
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner at Yoga and I love it, but not a big fan of the big classes at my local gym.

I was a beginning runner a few months ago and if you want to incorporate a little more sustained cardio, try to get onto a program that gradually builds you up to a mile (and more:wink: ).

I used coolrunning.com couch to 5k and it worked really well, but there are a lot of step-be-step programs out there.

:flowerforyou:
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    Oi, that was too hard. I think I could have kept up better if they shifted target areas around more. But I need to build up more stamina before trying that again. I finished it, but I'll probably be sore tomorrow.

I guess it's back to yoga. I'm going to go ahead and get the full Yoga Zone collection as I've been enjoying the ones I'm borrowing. They're adaptable for beginners but you can easily tune it up for a hard workout when needed. I thought it would be easy by now but I just keep going deeper into the poses.

Anyway, I guess there aren't many beginners around here. Does anyone do yoga?
    If I may make a suggestion, don't be to quick to give up on Power90. I lost almost 40 lbs with that program alone, and I think it's excellent. I don't know if this applies to you, but I think a mistake some folks make starting Power90, especially the cardio workout, is always trying to "keep up" with the folks on the DVD. Tony even tells you - listen to you body and go at your own pace. I think if you push yourself but not to the exhaustion point, you'll get the most training benefit from it (or any program, for that matter).

It was actually Power90 that got me started doing yoga, and I have it in the P90X program that I'm working on now (1 day / week for 90 min). Honestly, it's really challenging to me, but I do like it, and I've noticed my flexibility improving and my muscle endurance, which is great for my martial arts training, too. So, yoga is wonderful. :happy:

I'm not a beginner certainly, but I'd love to help you along your fitness journey. Motivation from peers can make all the difference. Best of luck to you!
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    I'm not a runner. I just wanted to illustrate how much of a beginner I was, hehe.

I don't know if Power 90 is for me. It's not so much that it was too difficult; the yoga routines used to be really hard at first also. It just seemed unbalanced. Take the kickboxing part for instance. I got too hot during the kicking session and too cool during the punching session. If they just spent less time on each and rotated through them an extra round, it would have kept the entire body warm without taking anything out of the workout. The stretching also wasn't very thorough.

I'm glad I tried it though. It made me realize that it might be time to extend my current morning workouts which consist of either 20 minutes of yoga or 20 minutes of power yoga (a lot like the beginning of the Power 90 workout).

I'm thinking 30-40 minutes of yoga on even days and 20 minutes of yoga followed by 20 minutes of power yoga on odd days. I'll stick with stretch-toning in the afternoons.