Sticker Shock

Options
I just joined MFP about a week ago after reading about it on a blog, but I started trying to be healthier as a resolution. Now that for the first time I'm trying to look up foods before I eat them to decide if I'm making a good choice, I have sticker shock! So many foods I used to eat all the time would completely kill the 1200 target. I have about 20-25 pounds to lose, so it's not even as though I feel I was out of control before, but I'm realizing how little 1200 is when you actually count. Has anyone else searched for a snack only to realize it's way too "expensive"?

Replies

• dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah....totally!!! We eat out more than we should and I started looking at nutrition guides to make better choices and realized I was doing 900-1200 (or more) calories in 1 meal!!! No wonder I wasn't losing weight!!!!
  • foremaar012
    Options
    I do the same thing! Today I thought I was being healthy at lunch by skipping chips and the cheese on my turkey sandwich at subway....boooy was I wrong a footlong even with lots of veggies and lite mayo clocked in 670 calories! Sodium always shocks me too....so hard to stay under and I dont even add salt to anything!
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, sticker shock is exactly what I would call what I had when I started this! It is amazing just how many calories you ingest just going out to dinner.