any runners that never used to be?

Options
I've never been a runner....ever. It has always been the thing that brought me the greatest pain and discomfort and exhaustion. It hurts my shins, I get short of breathe, I feel like I am going to fall down and die after just a minute or two.

However, in the last year I have been able to build up my walking to the point that my shins never ever hurt anymore and I can easily keep up when walking with faster people and I am walking my first 10K in a couple weeks. So I figured, if I could do that, maybe I could run.

Once we get a house (which will hopefully be soon) we plan on getting a black lab and I know they have a ton of energy so I think it would be a lot of fun to be able to go out running with him. For my birthday I'm going to get a pair of really good running shoes from this place that will measure your feet and make sure you get the right fit.......I'm just nervous I'll go through all of this and still not be able to run. Are some people just not born to run? Are there any people here that used to be like me, but can now run several miles and actually enjoy it? I'd love to hear your stories for inspiration!

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner....ever. It has always been the thing that brought me the greatest pain and discomfort and exhaustion. It hurts my shins, I get short of breathe, I feel like I am going to fall down and die after just a minute or two.

However, in the last year I have been able to build up my walking to the point that my shins never ever hurt anymore and I can easily keep up when walking with faster people and I am walking my first 10K in a couple weeks. So I figured, if I could do that, maybe I could run.

Once we get a house (which will hopefully be soon) we plan on getting a black lab and I know they have a ton of energy so I think it would be a lot of fun to be able to go out running with him. For my birthday I'm going to get a pair of really good running shoes from this place that will measure your feet and make sure you get the right fit.......I'm just nervous I'll go through all of this and still not be able to run. Are some people just not born to run? Are there any people here that used to be like me, but can now run several miles and actually enjoy it? I'd love to hear your stories for inspiration!
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    You just have to start at a slow pace which makes the treadmill come in handy since it displays your mph. I used to play field hockey (about 6 yrs ago) which of course requires A LOT of running, but since i've been in college, I've left that all behind. I started up again about a year ago, and yes, in the beginning, it does suck, I won't lie. I promise you it is worth it. The first couple minutes are always the hardest for me too, but after that I feel like I can go for a while. You don't need to run very fast to feel great afterwards, cause lord knows I have a pretty slow pace haha. I promise though, that first runner's high you get, you'll want more of that. Just take it easy and don't expect too much of yourself when you're first starting out and set some mini-goals with distance and speed. Learning to breathe while doing this does take a little practice, but if you learn to control it a bit and have it correspond with your stride, it's a easier. Just make sure you stretch really well and most importantly get good shoes! I was using a worn out pair for too long, which gave me shin splints and now I have plantar fasciitis :grumble: kinda puts a kink in my progress. Don't think you can't run, you can do it! :bigsmile:
  • tdtsocal
    tdtsocal Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi
    I was never a runner. I was a football jock a long time ago. But that kind of running is much different than running for exercise. I decided to start jogging in Aug of last year. It was so painful. I would walk 100 yards and then run 100 yards every night after working 12 hours a day. I slowly raised my running increments until I could run a mile. It took about 5 weeks to get to a mile. A month later it was 2 miles. And so on and so on. I just kept raising the bar for myself but not getting to over ambitious. I ran a 5K last week and finished 10th in my age group with time of 27:32. The furthest I have gone is 10 miles. I really enjoy it. Running seems to clear my head. And losing 40 pounds in the process has been pretty cool also!! I read something early in my running adventure that keeps giving me motivation. "I've never regretted going out for a run, but I have always regretted not going out for a run." So now I am the 48 year old runner who never thought I would be.
    Good Luck
    Tom
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I love this thread. This is me to a tee--I never used to run: hated it. My back, my shins, my feat, me lungs, my side, everything hurt and it was no fun.

But then my cousin started running and raved about how it was worth it so I got on the program she used (couch to 5k through coolrunnings.com) and slowly started building up. When I got to where I was running 2.5miles, I finally caved and got new running shoes that are amazing (I went with the Nike Structure Triax 11) and I feel great! I asked for a subscription to The Runners World for Christmas and my sister got it for me. She said, "that makes sense; you are, after all, a runner." :noway: :laugh: :blushing:

So I was reading in the March issue that there is a point when runners find a cadence in the running, almost like a heart-beat for your feet, something out-of-body but so in-tune to what you are doing that it is second nature. I had never felt that and was a bit sad. On Sunday I decided to just put the treadmill on 10kph and see how long I could go. At 35minutes, I suddenly went "my cadence! It's there!" I ran for another 13 minutes for a grand total of 8k (just under 5miles)!!! The most I had run before that was 5k... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Some people can't run. But most people who don't run just don't want to. Start slow, take the right steps (like getting good shoes!) and you'll find your cadence soon enough.

Hi, I am a runner and I never used to be. So glad you're joining in on the fun :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • megancolleen
    Options
    You can do it, plus I heard it boost your matabolism!! :-) anyway start slow also look into the couch to 5k program! That is how I got started! Starts you out slow and before you know it you will be running a 10k. Best of luck!
  • amycakes812
    amycakes812 Posts: 441
    Options
    I have always HATED running. I was one of those where everything hurt, stitch in the side and couldn't catch my breath. I was very actice in high school, so it wasn't like I was out of shape, I just couldn't run.
    About a year and a half ago, I started walking and slowly added some jogging in. At first, I was lucky to hit 1 minute. I don't think I ever hit the 5 minute mark for jogging. Then, I joined a gym in January and started adding running on the treadmill. Friday I ran a 5K at 6.0 mph! :noway:
    It's funny though...even though I run at least once a week now, I still don't think of myself as a "runner". Guess I need to start rethinking that! :laugh:
    Just to let you know, if I can do it, anyone can!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your stories everyone, it definitely gives me hope. And the couch to 5K sounds awesome, a program to start me off slow is just what I need. I am dreading my birthday (the big 3-0) but I can't wait for it so I can get my shoes!
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,753 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with all of these stories. Played sports in high school, hated running. Dont' think I ever ran a full mile when we did fitness tests. All that good stuff. I just couldn't do it.

I started walking and wanted to jog. I started off with going 1 minute at a time and thought I would die. I did that for a while and got used to it. I then started going to the gym and increasing my time jogging. Honestly, gettting used to the minute was worse than anything, it became increasingly easier after that. I would try to do 5 minutes, then 10 and before long, time wasn't really an issue. I can now go for a full 30 minutes and could go longer if I really wanted to.

I am working on building my speed. It's not very fast. In fact when I first started, I saw people walking about the speed I was jogging. I didn't care. I bump it .2 mph every week or so when I feel ready. Eventually I'll get to where I want to be.

It can be done! If you are determined you can do it. There is a great sense of accomplishment after I workout for doing something I never thought I could. If I can start this at 36, you can certainly start it at 30!
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    I meant to add earlier that I recently found great workout music for running. Go to motiontraxx.com to sample some of the stuff. It helps keep me going with the upbeat mixes. Also if you have an iPod/iTunes you can subscribe to their Podcast which is FREE! :happy: I also recommend the mix by A-Trak called Running Man + Nike Original Run, but I don't think that mix is free on iTunes anymore. I wish you all the best with running and maybe getting into some new music too! :flowerforyou:
  • Snags
    Snags Posts: 43
    Options
    I wanna put a different spin on it than the others if you are losing weight walking and enjoy it and feel good with it no need to run running is very hard on the knees and feet. And as far as your lab he will walk as fast as you do you dont have to run for him. You will stick with walking because you know you can do it and enjoy it> i started on this 2 weeks ago and im running and i hate it because it hurts my shins and feet bad but i hate walking takes to long so i run ( I know thats stupid) but if you dont like running its just gonna feel like work. Juast my take on it