Just found out I'm S.A.D

Options
not like the emotion.(SOCIAL ANXIETY DISORDER). but ugh finally an explanation to why I always push people away and why I'm so socially awkward... I mean... don't get me wrong.. I have my witty/cool/badass moments..but now that I have a diagnosis.. I can properly form an action plan... awesome...

:)

And before anyone makes a comment to "USE THE SEARCH OPTION" (I've already done it and added/messaged appropriate people concerning this) HA! Does anyone have any personal experience with overcoming this?

-Michelle

Replies

• manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with anxiety issues all my life and have gradually learned to manage it reasonably well. 2 things that have helped alot are

1. meditation - lots of free guided meditations are available. Some address anxiety directly, some guide you to just calming down and being in the moment (yes, I know abit of an overused term). When I have situations coming up that I know will be hard to deal with (like parties with lots of new people, meetings etc) I will find a guided meditation that helps me before the event, before the stress levels start to rise. 2 sites with free stuff are Meditation Oasis and Meditation Station.

2. A book by Robert Leahy called Anxiety Free - available as an ebook or audiobook. He covers several types of anxiety, many of us have overlapping types, and addresses social anxiety specifically, with exercises to help.

Hope this helps.
  • catsinpajamas
    Options
    Hey! I am too :) Sometimes just knowing you're not alone and building up some social support can help. Find people that you know are safe to talk to and find yourself a good therapist.

Knowing is half of the battle.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have major anxiety problems but they are more of a recent experience (past 3 years) than long term. When I find myself feeling overwhelmed with anxiety, I try to find a place where I can be alone and just calm down. When I am getting overly stressed, I remember to drink some water and mentally calm myself down. Mine never gets really bad, just when there is a LOT going on and a LOT of people around. It's hard to cope until you find what works for you.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety and depression and recently found out that I might also have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)...

I would suggest finding a good psychiatrist (I love my meds) and or therapist.
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I am with you Michele.
    All through my early years and into high school and college I was horribly introverted. I hated talking on the phone, going to eat, to the movies or pretty much anywhere by myself. Getting up in front of the class to give a book report was like standing in front of a firing squad. lol My parents and many others just said I needed to speak up for myself, etc and chastise me like it was just something I would grow out of. It wasn't. It was bad enough growing up overweight. I don't know if the social anxiety caused the weight problems or vise-versa, but either way it sucked.
    In 2000 I went to the doctor because it had escalated to the point where I wasn't sleeping, was having migraines, panic attacks, etc. Tried several different things such as Buspar and a couple of others that I can't remember the names of that didn't do much of anything. Then tried stronger stuff that just turned me into a zombie, who wanted to sit in the dark and sleep all the time. Didn't really help with the weight problem. Ha Plus all had varying side effects in the man can't get it up area. TMI?
    Finally they had me try Serzone (It is a SSRI; the brand name was taken off the market but the generic Nefazodone is still available)and it was wonderful. No side effects, Sleeping patterns greatly improved. Able to look people in the eye and hold conversations. That summer I worked for the US Census Department as a second job and actually stood in front of the class and taught for 8 hours a day.
    The 1st time I went home to Illinois to visit friendsand family after starting the Serzone all of the people who always bugged me about talking more, speaking up for myself, etc. were now saying "don't you ever shut up?". lol
    All those akward years could have been much more enjoyable for me if someone would have just noticed it was something more than being shy. I hope they can find a good fit for you, whether it be with meds, meditation, therapy, etc. so you can achieve your full potential and enjoy your college experience more than I did. Good luck

Troy
  • tf5_bassist
    tf5_bassist Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed with it (that would involve me getting around to talking to a medical professional about it, heh), but I'm pretty sure I do as well.

I have a near crippling inability to go out and talk to people, put myself out there, whatever. I'm always the quiet dude standing around talking to, well, probably no one. And even with people I do know alright, I'm still incredibly nervous and anxious a lot of the time. It's to the point to where it's affecting what I want to do in life, like push my photography further. Kind of hard to approach people for jobs when you're scared to even talk to them. And if it's a pretty girl on top of that? Hah! Good luck there hehe.

Anyways. I hope you can get your situation under control, and that you can make some improvements in your life with this.

As for me... I gotta' go see a doc. :/
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with Social Anxiety Disorder since around 6th grade. I'm now 30, and it's still a daily struggle for me. Back in middle school and high school I had no idea what was wrong with me and I hated myself. I felt like a freak and people thought I was a complete weirdo. Those days were very miserable and lonely for me. I wish someone would have realized that it was more than just being painfully shy, but no one did, and I didn't learn about Social Anxiety Disorder until I had already failed at college due to my anxiety issues. I went to the doctor and was put on medication but I hate the way the medication makes me feel like a zombie. I've tried a few different ones and they've all had the same effect, so I've been on and off medication for the past 10 years.

I've made a lot of progress on my own, though. I've made a lot of friends, had boyfriends, and I'm married now. I'd say I'm doing pretty well, but most people have NO IDEA how stressful every day is for me. Simple things that other people don't give a second thought about are such a struggle for me. I wish my family and friends could understand, but it's impossible to explain. I know that I come across as "stuck up" to a lot of people and I hate that. It's a common misconception of people with Social Anxiety Disorder.

Unfortunately, I've abused alcohol in the past to self-medicate and I still binge drink once or twice a month because it's the only way I can be completely comfortable around people and be myself. I know this is very unhealthy and I need to stop. I've thought about going to the doctor again and checking into cognitive behavioral therapy, but I don't know.

For a long time I tried to hide that I have Social Anxiety Disorder, but just within the past few years I've been more open about it. Honestly though, people just don't understand and are not always very supportive. It can be very frustrating. I feel like I've let this rule my life for so long and it still does more than I like to admit. I'm interested to see what others have to say. I don't personally know anyone else who has this.

Sorry if my response is kind of all over the place. Thank you, OP, for posting this topic!
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Social Anxiety Disorder is no joke, it can ruin your life, I have developed this over the last 3 years, going anywhere is near impossible sometimes. it can really get you down, I have been taking anti-depressants for this and it helps massively. I am now starting to have more good days than bad, I totally understand how stressful each day is, sometimes this condition make you feel as if its unique to the sufferer, but its not. I just take small steps, C.B.T helped me aswell.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I though S.A.D. was Seasonal Affective Disorder?

http://www.sad.org.uk/

All the very best in working through your issue!
  • farfalledibaciodinotte
    Options
    I though S.A.D. was Seasonal Affective Disorder?

http://www.sad.org.uk/

All the very best in working through your issue!

Here stateside, they tend to Drop the 'D' .. sorry for the confusion...also, this is Social Anxiety not Seasonal Affective. lol two completely different things. I wish it were just a SEASONAL thing lol..
  • finding_my_way
    finding_my_way Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have had social anxiety disorder for a very long time, since high school and really don't announce it to anyone because of the negative connotations that go along with it. It can be isolating and I have learned can lead to some very real physical symptoms as well. I think the best thing to do is have a support system that you know you can lean on.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I wonder if that's whats wrong with me or if I really am just shy. I get so afraid to say things it keeps me from speaking up about a lot.. Most people think I'm stuck up but I really just don't know how to talk to them... I have a few few friends and even harder time keeping them and if I am in a group I am the one not talking most likely feeling left out... I kind of dont want to post on here even because I feel like I'll be weird.. :/
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I wonder if that's whats wrong with me or if I really am just shy. I get so afraid to say things it keeps me from speaking up about a lot.. Most people think I'm stuck up but I really just don't know how to talk to them... I have a few few friends and even harder time keeping them and if I am in a group I am the one not talking most likely feeling left out... I kind of dont want to post on here even because I feel like I'll be weird.. :/

That's exactly how I feel!
  • tf5_bassist
    tf5_bassist Posts: 4 Member
    Options

That's exactly how I feel!

Same here. No fun at all. :/

And yeah, I was nervous about posting on this thread too haha. Especially for my first post on these here forums.
  • questhaven
    questhaven Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also feel like this a lot of the time!! I’ve been struggling with social anxiety for years too – it made it almost impossible for me to even go into a grocery store! Through use of daily medication, yoga, and therapy I’ve gotten a lot better – I’ve been able to stop taking the medication daily and only use it when I really need it (large crowds of people still set me off). Funny how posting in the forum just set me off a little though! It's also my first post... :)