Not hungry in the AM, starving all afternoon!

Options
So weird, in the morning I am hardly hungry, usually have cereal (Raisin bran) or oatmeal for breakfast and then 3 hours later have a light lunch so I can eat w. my kids. But right around 3p, I get starving, even w. the small snacks I find myself fighting off random snacking until almost bedtime! I know I am not the best w. my water, could that be impacting why I am so hungry by the end of the day? Its so tough, around 2p I am feeling so solid and have my calories under control, and then I am hungry for the next 5 hours no matter what I eat.

Replies

• BlissedMama
    BlissedMama Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So weird, in the morning I am hardly hungry, usually have cereal (Raisin bran) or oatmeal for breakfast and then 3 hours later have a light lunch so I can eat w. my kids. But right around 3p, I get starving, even w. the small snacks I find myself fighting off random snacking until almost bedtime! I know I am not the best w. my water, could that be impacting why I am so hungry by the end of the day? Its so tough, around 2p I am feeling so solid and have my calories under control, and then I am hungry for the next 5 hours no matter what I eat.
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    Look at what type of foods you are eating prior to 2pm. You may be eating too much sugar or high carb foods in the morning which is making your blood sugars crash or be too high in the afternoon which can make you hungry. I used to be like this but when I made sure that I had a good mix and protein with every meal then I was not hungry in the late afternoon/early evening. Otherwise increase your water and see if that helps because lack of water can make you hungry because your body is thirsty and it is sending off a signal that you are mistaking for hunger.
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way. I try to have 2 cups of hot tea and almonds and a yogurt around 2:30. I find the combo of fiber, protein, and liquid very filling. In the evenings though I allow myself to munch on unlimited fresh veggies with low fat dip. I recently bought some winter green lifesavers, and after eating those food tastes funny, so that helps too.
  • jennrobertson2004
    Options
    Sounds like you might not be eating enough during the day. Try to eat some protein with breakfast (like an egg) and more slow digesting carbs (slow cook oats). Limiting your calories for half the day is making you feel deprived.
    The more you get used to eating a bigger breakfast the more your body will start to crave food as soon as you wake up!:wink:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    protien, baby! I have to have a slice of chicken, a boiled egg, some hummus, peanut butter....something with high protien. I have not felt sleepy in the afternoon for 6 months! I time my food out 5-6 small meals, with protien and complex carbs in each.

good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, but for me, it was because I was eating too late into the night, so I would wake up still full. The last couple of weeks, I've really tried hard not to eat two hours before bed, and I've finally been waking up hungry. It gets me out of bed right when my alarm sounds, and I'm actually excited to get up and get some breakfast in me before I head out for work!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I was recently reading a book that talked about this
    The book rec pushing yourself to eat b-fast and lots of protein with each meals, snacks and also not eating 2-3hrs before bed so u wake more hungry....adjust the time as needed so u wake feeling hugry/wanting to eatc

Kim