Flowers or no flowers on the first date?

Options

Replies

• LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a single flower. a bouquet might seem like your trying to hard or might freak her out, but if you do want to go with a nice gesture, a single flower (a nice flower) is romantic and thoughtful without going over the top. good luck!

This^
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Where are these guys that even think of bringing flowers?
    I usually end up dating guys that "forget" their wallets. Ugh!

I would personally find the one flower more romantic than a big bouquet. But that's just me.
  • DulceDollie
    Options
    I think that's a perfect idea. You can not, in any way go wrong by bringing flowers to a first date. Kudos to you for even considering it. It's respectful, shows interest and is always flattering. I would think you were very sweet if I was the girl, if I was any girl matter of fact. Go for it!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a single flower. a bouquet might seem like your trying to hard or might freak her out, but if you do want to go with a nice gesture, a single flower (a nice flower) is romantic and thoughtful without going over the top. good luck!

^^^This.............
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think it varies widely on the girl, and if you're not sure, it's better to go with out. While I'm sure many women find flowers flattering (and they clearly do by the responses on this thread), there are also women who don't find flowers on the first date, or at all, appropriate.

In my opinion, there's more risk than reward. If she's the type of woman who would like flowers, you still have plenty of other ways on the date to prove that you're sweet, funny, caring, etc. Let the date do that work for you. However, if she's the type of woman who wouldn't appreciate flowers, then you've pretty much blown it out the gate. As others have said, if it seems like she's someone who would like flowers, after the date would be more appropriate.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    no to single red rose. Too corny. not a bunch of them either, even more corny still...

but flowers would be nice. nothing over the top, just something nice.

This is advice from my wife. :p

I know my wife loves lilly's... :p
  • WannabeSexyBexy
    Options
    I would say no flowers on the actually date, but may be nice to send her some a day or two afterwards to say how much you enjoyed it. Good Luck!!!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

^^^This.............

Yep, a single gerbera would be perfect. No roses.
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    Some how find out what her favorite flower is, if she hates (some gals do) roses but loves tulips then showing up with a single tulip is a +. She will feel special you took the time and found out what she likes I could be wrong here so ladies you can correct me if I'm wrong, but it will be more about the effort and time taken to find out more about her than the actual flower.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Flowers for a date are very inconvenient as you have to carry them round all evening and they'll die without water!

I second the suggestion to see how it goes then send flowers with a thank-you note later if you want to see each other again.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    When I was 19 a guy showed up with a HUGE flower arrangment. It took me 10 minutes to answer the door:laugh: :laugh:

Turned out he had worked a banquet and they gave them the table flowers.:tongue:

A flower is a nice, showing her you thought about it prior to the date. :love: (and don't pick one from her mother's garden!!:sad: )
  • VictorVegaJr
    VictorVegaJr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well we are going to a really nice dinner at a higher end italian place called maggianos. That's all I really have planned. Just a nice place to eat and talk. I thought flowers would be appropriate given the setting. We are meeting somewhere and then she is riding with me. I figured she could leave them in the car while we eat. =] Nothing big, maybe 1 or 2 flowers.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I always buy flowers the first time I visit a woman's house. I guess I'm just old.

I'm starting to rethink this given the number of times they've been embarrassed because they don't have a vase.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Well we are going to a really nice dinner at a higher end italian place called maggianos. That's all I really have planned. Just a nice place to eat and talk. I thought flowers would be appropriate given the setting. We are meeting somewhere and then she is riding with me. I figured she could leave them in the car while we eat. =] Nothing big, maybe 1 or 2 flowers.

Now if you bring her 1 flower, the waiter may have a vase and place it on your table!:love: (wouldn't advise leaving it in the car in Florida.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    On the first date? No - it sounds like overkill, to me.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Not on the first date IMO, but after (if all goes well) would be very flattering for her. I think it would be overkill straight off especially if you're going for a nice dinner. x
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Hmm, good question.. I would want flowers. lol

^^ This
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    In my limited experience, a single flower is always appreciated :)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of a quirky kind of flower - like a massive sunflower?
    They always make me smile! Not too "romantic"........
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Too soon for me.