College life...

adelespears
adelespears Posts: 86
edited September 18 in Food and Nutrition
Hello, all. I'm living away from home at college, where money is scarce and cafeterias don't offer many healthy options. I've been stuck eating the same things every day because the variety of healthy things is not that great. Is anyone else going through this, or does anyone have any tips? It's hard to diet in college when everything is either fried, or ramen noodle soup. XD. Thanks in advance. Adele

Replies

• Hello, all. I'm living away from home at college, where money is scarce and cafeterias don't offer many healthy options. I've been stuck eating the same things every day because the variety of healthy things is not that great. Is anyone else going through this, or does anyone have any tips? It's hard to diet in college when everything is either fried, or ramen noodle soup. XD. Thanks in advance. Adele
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    bring in your own foods. I am sure that is probably a cheaper option too.
  • Not an option. I live here, and was forced to buy a meal plan to be able to live here. I already PAID for all of this food, and I don't have the money to buy food at the store for everyday things. I buy yogurt and fruit for the mornings, but everything else I have to eat on campus..
  • Even though I didn't go away to college, its seems you pack on the weight once you start school. The cafeteria at the school here has a salad bar, does your school? If not remember everything in moderation, try to choose the healtiest thing. I'm sure you school offers fresh fruit, eating an apple one hour before you eat lunch saves on a lot of not needed calories. Don't eat late at night and remember you can do it!
  • I know exactually what you mean:grumble: , I am in college also and the only true healthy thing they offer is salad :mad: and at times I dont mind eating a salad but every day it does begin to suck. I guess all I can say is try and see if they offer anything that is grilled like chicken or if salad is the only option get what you want and only eat half of the meal and reserve the rest for later.
    Danielle:flowerforyou:
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    I know exactly what you mean. I'm at college, too and unfortunately it is causing me to slip up alot. For me, I just have to watch where I eat. I don't know how big your college is but we have a lot of different cafeterias ... some with sandwich bars... which I love ... wheat wraps with turkey and no cheese or dressing ... but with veggies are so good. Salad bars of course and we usually have cooked vegetables or grilled chicken as a choice. As I said I'm really struggling with this too. When I figure something out I"ll let you know.
  • dulceluva
    I guess I agree with everyone... I am not in college anymore and we were never forced to buy their food..but I did and it was usually pizza, bagels, fries n cheese, etc. Talk to the Dean or something and mention that they need to start bringing in healthy foods if they want their students to do well and not drop from malnutrition....esp if they are forcing you to buy their food on a food plan.

try and pick the healthiest options and if they have broth based soups, try and eat than with sandwiches, etc and dont forget to treat yourself too...everything in moderation.
  • jdonahue
    jdonahue Posts: 41 Member
    I was weird because I was actually the skinniest I ever was in college and I LOVED the salad bar! I would have a HUGE salad for dinner every night. I don't know if your school is similar but we also had fresh fruit at lunch and dinner (grapes, apples, pears, bananas, pineapple, melons, etc). My problem is now that I've been out of college for a few years I can't eat as healthy as I could in college because it's hard to keep the fresh produce around and it's more expensive IMO.
  • My son went to Trent universitiy and ran into the same thing. We got him a blender he could keep in his dorm room. He would buy yogurt and fruit and make smoothies...Add some granola ex..and it sure helped to take the bite out of hunger and fatty fried food. As it turned out he became the go to guy for smoothies.....met some new friends and stayed healthy at the same time....blenders are dirt cheap right now......good luck....:flowerforyou:
  • thanks everyone I like eating at the salad bar, I just don't want to get burned out on it, as they always have the exact same things. The fruit they have is sometimes bananas and always apples, but that's it. We do have a blimpie here, and I eat there sometimes to balance things out. Also my roommate just got a juicer... does anyone know any good recipe things for what vegetables and fruits go good together?
  • dulceluva
    just have fun with the juicer...mmmm so many options. You can google different kind of blends. You can buy mint leaves and add that to any kind of fruits.
This discussion has been closed.