SEROQUEL

Options
Sorry if some of you guys just saw this post, but I decided to move it over from Chit-chat to motivation and support.

I've been taking Seroquel for 4 years for bipolar disorder, but have been going to psychiatrist and psychologists since I was 11. Out of all the medications I've taken, it's definitely not the worst but it does come with it's fair share of side affects. I've been wanting to get off of it for years because I feel it doesn't do much except make me sleep. I'm scared that I'm addicted to it because if I don't take it for a night I suffer from a lot of physical withdrawls, such as body aches, migraines, etc. It does help with my mania, but not with my depression and that is the worse for me to go through. Especially with the weight gain side effect, it has given me (someone who did not have a great view of her body image at 110 lbs) more to be depressed and anxious over. At my heaviest I was 150 (two and a half years ago), I am now 137 with an ultimate goal weight of 120-125. My ultimate ultimate goal would be to get off of all medication by the time I'm twenty one though.

When I was at my healthiest of 125 (losing from the 150 I gained), I was the happiest and most stable I had ever felt. I was eating a healthy diet, meditating and practicing yoga frequently, running 4 miles 7x a week, and had a supportive social group.
Although I was still experiencing ups and downs, they seemed to be minor in the long run of things and I was more content I have ever been since I was 11.

Currently, I'm trying to get back to this point to show my psychiatrists that with maintaining a healthy life style I can achieve balance and stability.

Anyways, if you have a story I'm interested in hearing.

:)

Replies

• CrimsonVixen
    CrimsonVixen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't have a story but congrats to you and I hope you get off the Seroquel soon, just ask your psychiatrist what in their opinion is the best way to get off it is. :)
  • tigger301780
    tigger301780 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I work with a lot of people who are on this and other psychotropic drugs and the weight gain and other nasty side effects from them definitely doesn't help with the self esteem! Having goals and sticking to them is awesome (and one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself both physically and mentally) and I say good on you and hope you achieve them! :D
  • mish85
    mish85 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, congrats for how far you have come!
    I've been on seroquel for bipolar disorder for 7yrs now, and the biggest issue for me now is the weight gain. My last 2 pregnancies i stopped taking it, and actualy lost weight during the 9 months, instead of gaining.

ive been dieting on and off for years now, and get despondent coz i havent been able to lose anything much. i lose a kilo and no matter how hard i try dont lose any more.

As you experienced, all it seems to do is make me sleep. I'm considering asking my psychiatrist to stop or change it.

Good Luck to you on your journey.
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    I can certainly empathsize with your situation. I'm not bipolar but I suffer from moderate depression. I took Wellbutrin and Celexa (tried lots of others through the years - prozac, zoloft, lexapro, and others) for years but as of last summer I am off all medications. After I read Dr. Irving Kirsch's book, "The Emperor's New Drugs", I made a decision that I would get off everything. [Note: his book only deals with depression drugs, not drugs for a diagnosis of bi-polar disorder so please don't misunderstand]. Kirsch has demonstrated convincingly that the original paradigm of "chemical imbalance in the brain" as the cause of depression is just, simply, unproven and based upon a misreading of an early, flawed study. He's shown through meta-analysis that for those with mild to moderate depression, the vast majority of observable benefit from SSRIs is a placebo effect. Even my former psychiatrist concedes that his research is groundbreaking and has shattered the paradigm. It took me months and months to get off these drugs. My withdraw symptoms were horrible (of the various withdraw symptoms I experienced, the worst was the "brain flashes" which felt like a jolt of electricity running through my head) but they finally went away. I started going to see a therapist and I have to say that talk therapy did more to help with depression than the medication ever did.

Now, I treat my depression with diet, exercise, and zazen. I still have good and bad days but that's pretty much life isn't it? I sure hope you're able to come off the medication. Let us know how it goes. I'll be pulling for you. : )

Jeff
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar as well. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle will certainly help, but for me, I can't see going off meds as there is no "cure" for bipolar. That beind said, Seroquel was one of the first drugs they had me try. It was awful. I felt out of it all day long. Needless to say, I didn't take it long. Best of luck in whatever you do, I know how tough it can be!
  • LaVieEnRaw
    Options
    I was diagnosed with bipolar about 6 months ago, and I had pretty aggressive symptoms. I was experiencing the scarier side of psychosis, e.g. hallucinating, making up conspiracy theories, screaming random things, self mutilation, etc. It was really bad. I didn't know what was happening to me and that worsened my depression, so I would eat mass amounts of chocolate which I'm guessing my body was craving for the serotonin lift. I ended figuring out that I was bipolar, but at the time I was living by myself in San Francisco and I had no medical insurance, so I had to visit a crisis clinic, where they prescribed me with geodon. That was the worst two months of my life. Not only did it not control my symptoms, but the minute I took the pill I would fall asleep immediately. I had to take this pill 3 times a day, so I eventually got fired from my jobs, failed school, and couldn't pay the rent on my apartment. My parents came to pick me up and I went back home, where after two weeks I was able to get a psychiatrist and get on seroquel. It made quite a difference, although I still had to take ativan a few times a day to control the panic attacks. Fast forward 5 months and 25+ pounds later, I switched to a raw vegan diet, I do yoga and workout most days, and I sleep 8 hours a night. This has been going on for a month now and I haven't had one single symptom of bipolar, and I've even lowered my seroquel dose to a hundred mgs and completely quit the ativan. The only problem I'm having is dropping the weight, which I'm guessing is the seroquel. But I'll give my body another month to adjust before worrying about the weight I have to drop :]
  • Jnh16
    Jnh16 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I want to tell you how proud I am that you want to make the lifestyle changes to live a stable life with bipolar. Its hard! My husband is bipolar and started on serequel and gained about 20 lbs. He eventually lost it by eating less. He has been pretty determined since getting diagnosed and eventually getting on the right meds/doses to overcome bipolar and not let it overcome him. He works hard to work a stable job (I stay home with the kids), we've recently bought a house and he does his best to get a good night's sleep, that's the hardest for him. He also takes ADD meds which don't make it any easier to sleep. He only takes serequel at night to help him sleep and takes abilify and celexa during the day.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    so I had to visit a crisis clinic, where they prescribed me with geodon. That was the worst two months of my life. Not only did it not control my symptoms, but the minute I took the pill I would fall asleep immediately.
    I had to go off Seroquel and currently take Geodon, which works for me. I do only take it at night and have a script of Ritilin (I'm ADD). I take a Ritilin as soon as I wake up. If I don't, I'm in a haze from the Geodon. I hate taken medicine to counteract the side effects of another medicine, but the Geodon works well for me. It's interesting how medication affects everyone differently!
  • LaVieEnRaw
    Options
    That is really interesting! I didn't think there would be such a difference from person to person. I suppose that's why you have to sort of test all the meds when you're bipolar though; I'm just lucky I found the right one so fast.
  • NoahStellaMom
    Options
    Just an FYI...In order to get off of seroquel and another med I was on, I started Prozac, then slowly weaned off of the seroquel & other med. Then, when I was only on the Prozac, I slowly weaned off of that. It made it so much easier. You might talk with your doc about using that method.
  • tjalt
    tjalt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed bipolar 9 years ago after suffering from post partum psychosis. I was on seroquel for 6 years. I gained almost 50 pounds and my stupid doctor kept saying it was the meds. I was working out and eating very well. All my friends and family could not get over how much weight I was gaining while I was living such a healthy life. I, too, was tired all the time. I was never able to wake up in the morning. I often feel asleep while driving my boys to school :( Then I would go back to bed after I got home. That's when I knew it was time for a change.

Three years ago I found a fantastic doctor who weaned me off ALL MY MEDS!!!!!! It took a few months but I will never never look back. I quickly lost 20 pounds, took up running as my source of sanity and my life has turned around completely. I am now a personal trainer, training for my 2nd full marathon and I help others with their issues. I found a different, better for ME way to deal with what some said was an illness. Feel free to add me if you ever want!!
  • lindamac101
    Options
    I was put on Seroquel to help me for sleep. I have always had self image problems. The doctor did not tell me of the weight gain side effect. i could not figure out why i gained 10 pounds in one month. I finally ended up taking melatonin and valerian for sleep. It took me 3 months to get that 10 pounds off. I guess if thats the only drug that works for you, you have to figure out whats worse the weight gain or the bipolar. But i will say that feeling good about yourself and your weight is something I think alot of people struggle with. Good Luck!
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies so far! Your stories and support make me really feel that this is possible<33
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I wish I had more time to respond to this... but just adding my 2 cents real quick -- I hate seroquel!!!!! Good for you for wanting to try and get off it and live a healthier lifestyle.
  • dani_bee
    dani_bee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I have bipolar too (ladies your are not bipolar, you just have it ;) ) I am taking generic Rispiderol and it makes me so flipping tired. I didn't realize I was depressed until I noticed I had stayed in every weekend and stopped going to the gym and eating well. My doctor warned me that not all bipolar meds protect against depression and that an anti-depressant might need to be added. I am going in tomorrow so I will either switch meds (for the 4th time) or add an anti-depressant. Thanks for the heads up on this medicine though.
  • Stylistntenn
    Options
    Please don't be too anxious to get off all medication for bipolar disorder. I'm not a psychiatric professional but my mother is so I have grown up learning all about it. The Seroquel may not be the best option for you but if you get off all meds, the results can be bad. I'm sure you know this if you have struggled with it for years. I have depression myself and I take Wellbutrin and Zoloft. I hate having to take medication, but I know that if I stop I will have a major meltdown. Sometimes people think "I feel better now- I don't need this medicine." So they quit. But all along they felt better BECAUSE of the medication. So, when the medication is stopped, the 'feeling better' stops as well. I would definitely talk to a professional about the side effects/headaches, etc. And if you don't feel like the one you are going to is willing to work with you, find another.:smile: There are some great ones out there who will really work with you and not just throw you any ole prescription. I'm sure you know what's best for you, but being healthy/exercising, etc, may help but will not eliminate bipolar disorder or its effects. You can be healthy and happy on medication- just gotta find the right one. :smile: Best of luck to you!! :flowerforyou: