Shocked and Sad

Options
I didn't have a scale at my house and when I started this I went and put the last weigh in I knew I had.

Then a month later I weigh myself in at a friends house and update my weigh in giddy and happy that I'd lost 23 lbs according to the scale and was 8.5 lbs to my halfway goal! I contributed it to cutting out soda except for on rare occasion and drinking more water.

Was talking with my Mom about stopping at walmart on the way home after work and getting a scale. So we did and my mom splurged on a 40 dollar digital scale that could record the bmi, weight, and a slew of other fancy things for four people and give you a calorie guide based on your weight.

I stepped on it as I had noticed my jeans were starting to have more room lately and I wanted to see how much closer I was to my halfway point. As I have been doing good making better eating choices, though today the office was ordering chinese and I went along with it.

I weighed myself and.... The scale put me at 55 lbs heavier.... I sobbed, I cried... and I feel really down. I'm not giving up but now it's gone back up and I have 96 lbs to go to get to my goal weight... and I'm almost back to being at the heaviest I've ever been again...

Sad and dejected,
Selenity

Replies

• lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    you need to weigh on the same scales every time honey, try first thing in the morning about once a week, naked. When you use different scales the readings can be unreliable. Don't lose heart, stick with this and you'll get there :flowerforyou:

i actually weigh 10lb lighter on my mum's scales than i do my own....
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    different scales can very for sure.
    Water retention can rain on your parade too.
    Extra muscle?/
    Screw the scales and just measure yourself with a tape measure!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Firstly - one of the scales has to be wrong, that just doesn't sound possible, secondly, your clothes feel roomier - thats a damned good sign. It isn't ALL about the scales, its about feeling healthier your body feeling more tight, all that other good stuff.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    you need to weigh on the same scales every time honey, try first thing in the morning about once a week, naked. When you use different scales the readings can be unreliable. Don't lose heart, stick with this and you'll get there :flowerforyou:

i actually weigh 10lb lighter on my mum's scales than i do my own....

I would SWITCH scales ;)

You are right...SAME SCALE, ONCE A WEEK! The important is that you feel better and have more room in your clothes :)

You can do this!

E xo
  • Smuterella
    Options
    i mean, lets be honest, your starting weight was a complete guess. that isn't a good place to start.
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i mean, lets be honest, your starting weight was a complete guess. that isn't a good place to start.

agree with this, start a fresh today and keep to one set of scales
  • londanfudd4eva
    Options
    u said u had noticed that you had a little more room in your jeans perhaps u are losing inches. i wouldnt worry so much about the scale if my clothes were getting bigger.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself from day 1 every 2 weeks its more spot on if your plans working than weighing,us women have totm hormones and men tend to add muscle quickly
    weigh once a month and measure every 2 weeks put your inch loss on here
    I once went into a chemist and weighed it made me 9lbs heavier tan home and doctors I think thats to make people buy theyre diet products x
  • mariliak
    mariliak Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale and make sure you weight yourself on the same scale . Never weight after eating or before your period or if you do expect to bee 1-2 kilos more . Different scales show different results . And it doesnt matter what the scale shows , what matters is if you are getting smaller and more filt . Clothes and meters is a good way to measure your improvement . And if you exercise a lot it is possible you lose fat and put on muscles . Muscles are much smaller than fat but they weigh more . Don't get dissapointed . Also there is a possiblility that your starting weight was much bigger than the one you putted on . Som maybe you have lost a lot but you measure wrong . If you work out , eat less and make an effort you will definetely see results Last time I weighted myself it seemed like I had gained 2 kgs but when I measured myself I realised I had lost 5 cm . And that is much better than losing water
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If I weigh myself on my scales on Carpet I'm 28lbs heavier than when I weigh myself on the tiles....and not just me, everyone who gets on my scales on carpet is heavier.

So I weight myself every week at the same time on the same tile in my kitchen with the same scales. The Scales at my doctors say I weigh 2lbs more....but I've only used them once so I take the reading off my own scale!
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Numbers aside you are on the right track, let the number not bring you down, just keep on doing the right thing
  • Vegas55
    Options
    Yes make sure your scale is in the exact same spot everytime.....even moving it around the floor can make a difference.
    And never weight yourself on carpet if possible. :noway:
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    I posted this earlier on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/466411-the-number-on-the-scales
    If your clothes are feeling looser then that's not just some coincidence , the weight must be coming off somewhere :smile:

Start again from today as someone said, use the weight from your new scales as a your starting weight and go from there, as someone else said take your measurements every couple of weeks because your shape will be changing as well. Is the scale on level ground, that can make a difference too.
    At the end of the day the weight on scales is just a number, aim to be happy with how your body looks :flowerforyou:
  • SelenityJ
    SelenityJ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I want you all to know that your encouragement helped me to really give something else a try and I'm doing much better. I'm loosing inches almost everywhere and the one place I'm not loosing inches and gaining them I don't mind so much. *grins*

(ie yes my bust is gaining inches while my waist and hips are loosing inches! yay hour glass figure showing itself off!)

I've noticed my midsection is getting into better shape and that's awesome to me. I did gain some more weight since the inital posting of this but since I started going on the same diet as another dear friend of mine I've had major success with it.

I just wanted to say thank you to those of you who encouraged me when I really needed it roughly 4 months ago and share that I am finally having success and haven't gained any more weight since finding my groove.

Much love to you all!
    Selenity
  • Smuterella
    Options
    Wow! what is it you are doing?
  • warriorsdontbitch
    warriorsdontbitch Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    glad u kept chugging along