Leafy Greens -- too much Vitamin A?

Options
For anyone who eats a ton of green vegs, do you ever worry about too much Vitamin A? Or any oher vitamins for that matter?

I eat 2 small bags of raw spinach almost every day and am sitting here eating a head of red leaf lettuce for lunch. It's a lot of Vitamin A which I understand is fat-soluble not water-soluble so I know I don't just pee it out.

Any nutirionists with an opinion here?

Thanks!

Replies

• JakinsandPeykins
    Options
    I am wondering the same. I am addicted to my greens now.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about it. I made a salad for tomorrow's lunch that is mostly greens--4 cups or so worth (mixed field greens, baby spinach, and kale). I've only ever heard the more greens one eats, the better.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I guess if raw food enthusiasts don't die from too much Vitamin A, you would be safe. I went raw for about 2 weeks, and I was eating several bundles of kale and spinach per day as well as lots of other greens and veggies. I'm not an expert, but I think it would be hard to OD on Vitamin A from diet alone.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    From what I understand the worry is when you're eating it in supplement form because those are usually synthetic or in larger doses than we get from eating. I do know they say to rotate your greens so you're eating a variety. No links or scientific data to back me up because I'm too lazy to look anything up right now. :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I am not sure you can get too much from food sources... ??

Yeah. Just read that it's animal sources/products and vitamins that you can get an OD from. Not carotenoids.

http://www.bestnaturalfoods.com/newsletter/vitamin-a-too-much.html
  • OptimumMe1
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_poisoning

It says here that generally vitamin toxicity only occurs through supplements and fortified foods. I'm not a nutritionists, but from what I've learned over the years makes me think that your body can probably process naturally occurring vitamins much more easily.

If I were you I'd look up the symptoms of Vitamin A toxicity and just carefully listen to my body :)
  • Stephyshoes
    Stephyshoes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It is possible to overdose on Vitamin A, but it's pretty hard to do that through diet alone. I remember reading that when juicing was all the rage a few years ago people had some issues if they also took vitamin supplements, but that typically you don't have to worry too much if all your Vitamin A comes from food sources. I'll try to find a source verifying that information, and in the meantime, hopefully we'll hear from a nutritionist or someone who knows a little more. :)