How to get slim/toned quick?

Options
My nephew is getting married in the second week of May. I will be meeting many of my relatives who have not seen me in ages. So obviously want to look the best I can. I have been eating right and exercising from Nov 30th and have been losing at the rate of 1.5 lbs per week. Given I need to lose about 80 lbs I was hoping to lose more per week (maybe it's is my age? ... I am 50) and wondering how else I could tweak my plan to get the most bang for the buck by May. I am not planning on losing 80 lbs by May but would like to look the best I can. I do an exercise tape everyday (30DS, Ripped in 30) in the morning, 45 mts of elliptical with 5 mts warm up and 5 mts cool down 3 days a week, 2 days of Zumba class, maybe 1 day of walking on Treadmill for 45 mts. I want to start lifting heavy weights. Will that get me good results or should I do more cardio? Will just the fitness tape be enough for toning? I was also wondering if I need to add 3 days of lifting to my current routine. I do eat some of my exercise calories back. Do I need to stick to 1200 cals per day? Would love to hear from someone in my age group as to what works for them.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nothing about getting healthy is quick. Sorry.

If you're losing roughly 1.5lbs per week I'd say you're doing pretty damn good. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd try Pilates. You'll get slimmer pretty quick, but you have to really be diligent and do a full body workout for like an hour a day. I used The Method Pilates - Pilates Target Specifics DVD a while back with fantastic results. It breaks each workout down to 15 minutes for the area you're wanting to tone, which helps so it doesn't feel like the longest workout in the world. Couple this with cardio and eating better, and I think you'll see results quickly.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Nothing about getting healthy is quick. Sorry.

If you're losing roughly 1.5lbs per week I'd say you're doing pretty damn good. Keep doing what you're doing.

this
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with my weight for long and truly only recently I feel that for me going lowfat and doing kickboxing 3 times per week seems to make me look toned.
    Kickboxing classes are good or else DVD's are good. Jillian is soon releasing a dvd called fastkick I am sure that will be a great one to look out for.Ilaria has some very good DVD's
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    firstnamekaren about Method pilates - I found a quite a few in my search. Which one were you referring to? Can you please post a link?
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My nephew is getting married in the second week of May. I will be meeting many of my relatives who have not seen me in ages. So obviously want to look the best I can. I have been eating right and exercising from Nov 30th and have been losing at the rate of 1.5 lbs per week. Given I need to lose about 80 lbs I was hoping to lose more per week (maybe it's is my age? ... I am 50) and wondering how else I could tweak my plan to get the most bang for the buck by May. I am not planning on losing 80 lbs by May but would like to look the best I can. I do an exercise tape everyday (30DS, Ripped in 30) in the morning, 45 mts of elliptical with 5 mts warm up and 5 mts cool down 3 days a week, 2 days of Zumba class, maybe 1 day of walking on Treadmill for 45 mts. I want to start lifting heavy weights. Will that get me good results or should I do more cardio? Will just the fitness tape be enough for toning? I was also wondering if I need to add 3 days of lifting to my current routine. I do eat some of my exercise calories back. Do I need to stick to 1200 cals per day? Would love to hear from someone in my age group as to what works for them.

Stop being concerned about what others think, get fit and healthy, stop looking for the easy way out and quick fixes.
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Stop being concerned about what others think, get fit and healthy, stop looking for the easy way out and quick fixes.

I am not concerned about what others think. I want to look good for my self. Wanted to look pretty in my party wear. Want my new dress to fit and look good, and I am willing to put in the extra effort it takes. What is wrong with that. I am in it for the long haul. I just wanted to see if I could do something better/different to get better results quicker for an event.