Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti

Options
It’s sometimes hard to eat a low carb diet as a vegetarian. So this week, I am going to explore low-carb replacements to rice and pasta. This recipe is vegan if you can resist adding the grated Parmesan cheese as garnish.

Vegan/ Vegetarian (dairy)
Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash (the one I used was 2 lbs raw, uncut)
2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
1 zucchini, cut into ¼” medallions
1 red onion, roughly chopped
1 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tbsp olive oil
¼ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook:
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds and rough fibers (you can reserve the seeds and roast them with seasoning for a yummy snack later!). Place squash halves, cut side down, in a large pot. Add 2 inches of water to the pot. Pierce the shell a few times with a large knife, skewer or an ice pick to allow steam to escape.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- While the squash is simmering, heat oil in a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook for 2 min. Add zucchini and garlic. Cook for 3 min.
- When onions are translucent and zucchini is beginning to brown, add tomatoes and lower heat. Simmer for 10 min.
- When squash is tender, drain the water and set aside to cool. When squash is cool enough to touch, scrape the pasta-like insides onto your servings plates. (You will be amazed how much it looks and has the texture of noodles.)
- Top squash pasta with equal portions of tomato mixture. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a side of lemon, if desired.

spaghettisquash.jpg
Nutritional Information: (with cheese)
Serving size- half of prepared recipe
Calories 186.3
Total Fat 6.3 g
Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
Protein 9.2 g

Nutritional Information: (no cheese)
Calories 129.3
Total Fat 2.5 g
Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
Protein 4.0 g

Replies

• FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    It’s sometimes hard to eat a low carb diet as a vegetarian. So this week, I am going to explore low-carb replacements to rice and pasta. This recipe is vegan if you can resist adding the grated Parmesan cheese as garnish.

Vegan/ Vegetarian (dairy)
    Serves 2

Ingredients:
    1 spaghetti squash (the one I used was 2 lbs raw, uncut)
    2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
    1 zucchini, cut into ¼” medallions
    1 red onion, roughly chopped
    1 cloves garlic, minced
    ¼ tbsp olive oil
    ¼ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cook:
    - Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds and rough fibers (you can reserve the seeds and roast them with seasoning for a yummy snack later!). Place squash halves, cut side down, in a large pot. Add 2 inches of water to the pot. Pierce the shell a few times with a large knife, skewer or an ice pick to allow steam to escape.
    - Bring to a boil.
    - Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20-25 minutes or until tender.
    - While the squash is simmering, heat oil in a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook for 2 min. Add zucchini and garlic. Cook for 3 min.
    - When onions are translucent and zucchini is beginning to brown, add tomatoes and lower heat. Simmer for 10 min.
    - When squash is tender, drain the water and set aside to cool. When squash is cool enough to touch, scrape the pasta-like insides onto your servings plates. (You will be amazed how much it looks and has the texture of noodles.)
    - Top squash pasta with equal portions of tomato mixture. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a side of lemon, if desired.

spaghettisquash.jpg
    Nutritional Information: (with cheese)
    Calories 186.3
    Total Fat 6.3 g
    Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
    Protein 9.2 g

Nutritional Information: (no cheese)
    Calories 129.3
    Total Fat 2.5 g
    Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
    Protein 4.0 g
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options
    looks deliceous... and sounds yummy...

I am so hungry for dinner I could eat anything tonight!! boy I wish I wouldnt have waited so long to eat...
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I actually really like this. I use a recipe from the 5 factor diet book. I cannot eat some of those recipes, but this one is really good, and filling!
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of roasting the seeds...wow and they are good?
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I have never heard of roasting the seeds...wow and they are good?

It's just like pumpkin seeds, if you've ever made those around Halloween. Yup, they are pretty good too, I like to add some seasoning salt and a bit of olive oil. It works with winter, butternut, and acorn squash as well.

1 oz (about 130-150 seeds) is about 153 calories, 13 g of fat, 5 g carbohydrates, 7g protein, 1g of fiber.
  • bevjack1
    bevjack1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this looks wonderful! I never kept the seeds either, so double thanks! (sounds very healthy on both counts.)
  • cjm0014
    cjm0014 Posts: 118
    Options
    yummm:flowerforyou:
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    thanks will try...I tried to grow them last year but all i got was blooms'