Short term targets

Options
I have just finished a 6 week awareness and exercise boot camp with my local excellent trainer, and wanted to let everyone know of something I have discovered. Short term reasonable targets can work - even if it is time period orientated rather than goal orientated.

I have about 28lbs/12.8kgs to lose. I have always carried about 15-20lbs more than I should but being shortish and having big thighs has always been a part of me so as long as i was fit to do what I pleased it was fine. Last year I went cycling as usual with my children - I was devastated, suddenly I was very unfit - creeping pounds had added so much weight to my legs and even my upper body that for the first time I was questioning what I was capable of and I was ashamed.

After doing a regular exercise class for a month or so, and facing two big milestones - a high school reunion and my 40th birthday I decided to take part in a boot camp with a friend - a partner in exercise. We started in November and had to endure the Christmas holidays - which set us back about 10 days and officially finished with our weights and measures last night.

The boot camp was watching food - doing basic exercises each day and try to do at least an hour's cardio each day. My calories have been fine and I have fallen into a rhythm of going to a class or the gym 3 times a week.

My results were; 4 inches off my waist, 2 inches off my hips and 1 inch off each arm. I lost 4 kgs in total , with 2.6kgs of this being fat. My fitness level has massively increased - eg 89 sit ups in 1 minute instead of 54 and 63 press-ups instead of 42 with dodgy technique.

These are not the best numbers but I really like the loss of fat and the inch off my arms. But the numbers were not my aim.

I wanted in a short space of time to feel fit and healthy - live and eat as a good example for my children, feel as if I could do anything they wanted us to do as a family without question - I know I can do this now.

This was my first short term goal and I have achieved it.

I now move onto my next goal - lose some more weight so I start to lose off my legs - feel more comfortable in my clothes and maintain my healthy eating - I start my next 6 weeks on Tuesday so I will check back in in March.

Good luck to everyone who needs motivation if the task you set yourself is daunting - maybe try shorter or lower targets at first so that your ultimate goal doesn't feel impossible - knowing step by step that your mini goal is not so far away may just keep you going the way it does me.

Replies

• MrsTattie
    MrsTattie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!!! That is a tremendous amount of flabby bits lost! 4 inches of your waist is just amazing! Well done - and well done that trainer and exercise buddy!!
    Reaslistic goals are the best and with no finite number/amount to loose you know that the results will speak for themselves. Good on ya, girl! - Although you would get another gold star if you upload some pics :)