What is your best Post-Workout meal?

Options
Do I always have to drink whey protein after my workouts? Is there any other alternative quick and easy to prepare post-workout meal?

Replies

• michelledusik
    michelledusik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    P90X post workout drink is AWESOME!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Pizza, supreme.
  • himiller3
    Options
    A glass of chocolate milk. Use low or non-fat milk :D
  • Charlieh16
    Charlieh16 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    P90X post workout drink is AWESOME!!

Sorry to change the subject but have you done this P90x? Is it suitable for weightloss or just muscle building?
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Do I always have to drink whey protein after my workouts? Is there any other alternative quick and easy to prepare post-workout meal?

Chocolate milk. Seriously. THE. BEST. :)
  • judejacklucy
    Options
    Yogurt and blackberries!
  • 3AMEureka
    Options
    No, you don't have to. As long as you do the work good thing will happen. I eat a frozen Lean Cuisine meal and Crystal Light (provided that I have th cals. Always have so far!)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    As I train 30g BCAA and then 15 mins post training, 40g whey protein and 40g vitargo (or 40g maltodextrin if I'm being cheap). A real food meal 45 mins after that.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options

I always have my Cookies n Cream Musclemilk before I walk out of the gym :P

Hmm...some greek yogurt, agave (or honey), and oats would be a decent post workout snack. I'd try to make sure it was high in protein if you're just sick of the post workout shake ;)
  • Roo1026
    Roo1026 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A glass of chocolate milk. Use low or non-fat milk :D

This ^^^
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    The best post workout meals replace what you lost (or need) from the workout. The pre-workout meal is also important. If you are doing cardio, you'll need carbs before. If you are doing weight training, you will definitely need something to increase your energy. The post workout protein is very important after weights. The replenishment of electrolytes is important after cardio.
  • kprotopapas
    Options
    Just read this... seems legit...
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/19/post-workout-routine-and-fat-burning-strategies.aspx

Foods to Avoid After Exercise

So, fasting, or even better, consuming high quality whey protein prior to exercise can boost fat burning. But equally important is what you do afterwards.

Again we find that sugar is at the bottom of the list.

In fact, consuming sugar (including starchy carbs that convert to sugar, and sugary energy drinks) within two hours of high intensity exercises will negatively affect your:

Insulin sensitivity, and
    Human growth hormone (HGH) production

Both of these factors are very important for optimal health and longevity.

Impaired insulin sensitivity (insulin resistance) is the underlying cause of type 2 diabetes and a significant risk factor for other chronic diseases such as heart disease.

Meanwhile, maintaining your HGH levels (which tend to drop off after the age of 35) will help keep your body strong and your health robust.

The beneficial impact of a low-carb post-exercise meal on your insulin sensitivity was recently confirmed by a study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology. And hghmagazine.com clearly explains how consuming sugar/fructose, including that from fruit juices, within this two-hour window will decimate your natural HGH production:

"A high sugar meal after working out, or even a recovery drink (containing high sugar) after working out, will stop the benefits of exercise induced HGH. You can work out for hours, then eat a high sugar candy bar or have a high sugar energy drink, and this will shut down the synergistic benefits of HGH.

… If you miss reaching HGH release during working out, you will still receive the calorie burning benefit from the workout. However, you'll miss the HGH "synergy bonus" of enhanced fat burning for two hours after working out.

This is an extremely important fact to remember if you want to cut body fat and shed a few pounds.

So, to further reduce body fat while enhancing your insulin sensitivity and promoting HGH production, you'll want to eat a low-carbohydrate meal within that two-hour window.

One of the explanations for why a low-carb meal after exercise works is because carbs prevent the production of the hormone somatostatin. One of the primary purposes of this hormone is to inhibit the production of human growth hormone. So, by reducing somatostatin, you're not hindering HGH production.
  • F1t6
    F1t6 Posts: 3
    Options
    !!!!!!!! It depends !!!!!!!!

Q) What are you trying to achieve? Weight loss, fat burn, bulk up?
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder mixed with cocnut water
  • F1t6
    F1t6 Posts: 3
    Options
    Just read this... seems legit...
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/19/post-workout-routine-and-fat-burning-strategies.aspx

Foods to Avoid After Exercise

So, fasting, or even better, consuming high quality whey protein prior to exercise can boost fat burning. But equally important is what you do afterwards.

Again we find that sugar is at the bottom of the list.

In fact, consuming sugar (including starchy carbs that convert to sugar, and sugary energy drinks) within two hours of high intensity exercises will negatively affect your:

Insulin sensitivity, and
    Human growth hormone (HGH) production

Both of these factors are very important for optimal health and longevity.

Impaired insulin sensitivity (insulin resistance) is the underlying cause of type 2 diabetes and a significant risk factor for other chronic diseases such as heart disease.

Meanwhile, maintaining your HGH levels (which tend to drop off after the age of 35) will help keep your body strong and your health robust.

The beneficial impact of a low-carb post-exercise meal on your insulin sensitivity was recently confirmed by a study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology. And hghmagazine.com clearly explains how consuming sugar/fructose, including that from fruit juices, within this two-hour window will decimate your natural HGH production:

"A high sugar meal after working out, or even a recovery drink (containing high sugar) after working out, will stop the benefits of exercise induced HGH. You can work out for hours, then eat a high sugar candy bar or have a high sugar energy drink, and this will shut down the synergistic benefits of HGH.

… If you miss reaching HGH release during working out, you will still receive the calorie burning benefit from the workout. However, you'll miss the HGH "synergy bonus" of enhanced fat burning for two hours after working out.

This is an extremely important fact to remember if you want to cut body fat and shed a few pounds.

So, to further reduce body fat while enhancing your insulin sensitivity and promoting HGH production, you'll want to eat a low-carbohydrate meal within that two-hour window.

One of the explanations for why a low-carb meal after exercise works is because carbs prevent the production of the hormone somatostatin. One of the primary purposes of this hormone is to inhibit the production of human growth hormone. So, by reducing somatostatin, you're not hindering HGH production.

All of that is fine but when you eat after exercise ALL intake is good, I have seen massive growths in others and myself in past times. Chicken sandwiches, protein bars, crisps (not the best) kebab's (again not great but the body will convert it!! a whole bunch of other foods as well.

Its more important to get the fuel into the body than worrying about hormone changes within the body, leave that to a cutting phase!
  • Ellorente
    Options
    On days that I lift then do cardio, I drink Endurox 4, then soon after a protein shake, as a post work out drink. And since I excercise early morning on an empty stomach, after I drink these, I eat my regular breakfast of 5 egg whites, 1 whole, 2 slices of turkey bacon and one package of instant oatmeal.
  • sbrouillet
    sbrouillet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Most often I have a protein shake with some kind of fruit and almond milk however some days I choose to have egg whites with a bit of cheese and veggies cut up.

Good alternative and doesn't take long at all.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This thread is a wreck. Don't worry about what to easy immediately after a workout. worry about your overall nutrition every day. there are much more important things to worry about than timing meals.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    - 2 scoops of BCAA powder supplement
    - 1/2 cup of Apple Sauce
    - 1 cup of Rice
    - 1 quality Whey shake
  • myltlisa24
    myltlisa24 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 2 TB of chopped walnuts with my chobani 0% fruit flavored yogurt. :happy: