Zoomba Anyone?

Options
I'm thinking of taking a Zoomba class - but wondering if I'd be able to handle it.

Does anyone have any feedback or thoughts?

Replies

• bobbiet
    bobbiet Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm thinking of taking a Zoomba class - but wondering if I'd be able to handle it.

Does anyone have any feedback or thoughts?
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am still pretty big and not very coordinated and i did a class. I was able to keep up for the most part. Some steps were beyond my capabilities but i just changed it a little bit for me. Stand in the back if you can and no one will be able to tell.
  • Luv2Travel1
    Luv2Travel1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    zoomba? Isn't that a vacuum cleaner? :laugh:
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Zumba is awesome, if you're a little worried about it, check out some videos on youtube, there are some good ones there. I ordered it and do it at home and I love it...and I'm SO not a dancer, it's tons of fun!
  • sara1027
    sara1027 Posts: 59
    Options
    I just tried it yesterday and LOVED it. I way 209 and was able to keep up. My instructor said if you get tired to march in place. I would def give it a go.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    There were people in my class that were well into their 70s so I'm sure you could do it. If you are uncomfortable with any of the moves, just modify the steps a little bit or march in place. Anything to keep that heart rate up. The music is great!
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't go the classes but I have the Zumba DVD's. Love them I currently weight 263, when I started the tapes last month I was even heavier. I'm able to keep up and I burn a ton of calories while doing it. It's also super fun.
  • bobbiet
    bobbiet Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for your comments!!!
  • lmclarty
    lmclarty Posts: 11
    Options
    I do a Zumba class every week at the YMCA. I agree with everyone else that you can modify it to fit your level. At first I had trouble with the steps and would march in place. After doing it for 5 months I now am able to do the higher impact version. The best part is the time flies by and it is actually fun. Well as fun as working out can be. I hope you give it a try.

120591.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • Chrystal36
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA!!! I hate to exercise but I have to say I'm addicted to Zumba!!! So addicted that I now go to class five days a week. I often take two classes in one day! One of the best things about Zumba is that you don't have to do the moves exactly like the person next to you. Our instuctors alway say.......If you're moving, you're doing it right! Most of the moves are repetitive so it doesn't take long to catch on. I was curious to find out just how many calories I could possibly burn doing something so fun. So I recently purchased a heart rate watch to track my progress. Tonight was just a beginners class and I burnt 778 calories. The best part is I had FUN and the hour went by so fast! LOVE it!!!
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread, but it still applies! :tongue:

I am a ZUMBA fanatic... I started taking the classes at my gym in August... :drinker:

Ok, I am NOT one of those girls that in college was always looking for a dance floor.. I was always kinda self conscious (unless there was a good bit of alcohol involved, then that was a different story, but I digress :laugh: ). I was a cheerleader way back when, but I was always the last in our group to 'get' the routines, etc...

anyway, I tell you all that to make the point that you DO NOT have to be super coordinated or even a great dancer to get A LOT out of the class and have a GREAT time while you're at it...

I started out way in the back and now I'm front and center in each class! I burn anywhere from 500 - 600 calories in the class, and I totally love it.. My DH is a big fan also b/c all of the ab and glut work is really starting to pay off :embarassed: :noway: :love:

I can't believe how much confidence I have now in the class and how I can make my body 'move'! It's incredible! Good luck with your classes and just KEEP AT IT.. just like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get at it... and it's a blast all the way! :flowerforyou:
  • janamarie
    Options
    I do Zumba two and three times a week, the first class thought i was dieing, but as the weeks went on by week 3 i was fine. Its super fun, its aerobic and salsa dancing to Salsa music. Ranges from high ipact to cool down. Just take it easy and do the steps as fast as you can do them. bring lots of water and wear comforable shoes. Your going to have a blast. It doesnt feel like excercise, tons of fun.
  • janamarie
    Options
    Quick Question, Do you burn over 7oo calories in an hour Zumba class? How do you know.