Confused...

Options
Ok guys we all know that in order to lose weight you have to burn off more calories than you take in...it makes perfect sense!
So can someone explain to me, why if you burn off 500 cals through exercise this system adds that 500 cals onto your daily allowance? To my logic that is defeating the object somewhat, surely it would be better to know what your daily calorie allowance is and stick to that regardless of exercise - won't that give better results?

I am obviously missing something, but I am not an unintelligent person and this makes no sense to me - Please someone make it make sense.

Lou :-)

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    MFP has already taken a calorie deficit into account when it gives you your daily calorie intake. Some people don't eat their exercise cals back, some do, some eat half. It all depends on what works for you and your body. You should have at least a 1200 NET calorie intake. Your body needs fuel to function properly. I know it's opposite to what we are lead to believe but sometimes eating more makes more weight loss.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    That's what MFP does, they come up with a calorie guideline regardless of exercise. So, if you enter your goal as 1 pound per week, MFP sets up you up at a 500 calorie deficit. If you then exercise and burn 500 calories, you're now at a 1000 calorie deficit. This is why you can eat the 500 back and still lose weight, you're still eating at a deficit. A bigger deficit will not necessarily give better results.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on how many calories you are consuming during the rest of your day. Are you in a calorie defecit or consuming all your maintenance calories? If you are consuming maintenance calories then don't eat your exercise calories. If you are already in a calorie defecit then people say you should consume exercise calories to fuel your body. Personally, I don't eat all my exercise calories back but I do eat some. Good luck.