Any vegetarians here?

Options
Hello,

I have wanted to become a vegetarian since I could remember. Heck, I tried about 5 times and seemed to always fail. :( I decided I wanted to try again....any good sites or words you can send my way?

Thanks,

Replies

• kitymama
    Options
    Watch the movie Forks Over Knives and you may get all the motivation you need. And perhaps instead of going full vegetarian, begin by choosing 2 days a week for all vegetarian dishes. Even those small changes will do wonders for your health.
  • Muneca2899
    Options
    It's more of sticking thru with it. I will continue to eat egg, milk and cheese....you know an An Ovo-lacto vegetarian. I just seem to fall of the wagon easily. I figured I quit smoking 72 days ago and I am doing great why can't I do something even greater that I want to so bad. KWIM?
  • yestowellness
    yestowellness Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have wanted to become a vegetarian since I could remember. Heck, I tried about 5 times and seemed to always fail. :( I decided I wanted to try again....any good sites or words you can send my way?

Thanks,

Watch food it, it will change your life. I've finally became a vegetarian at the beginning of the year. This month I did an all vegan diet just to kick me out of the habit of eating meat all together. The 1st week or so was hard, nut now I can cook my family's meal w/out salivating :tongue: Starting next month I may slowly start adding some dairy, eggs, & fish on occasion. I love the way my body feels, I sleep better, & my skin is looking good. Go for it even if it's a few times a week like the other poster suggested. For recipes checkout www.allrecipes.com also starting Monday, February, 6th my blog Vegetarian in Bed with Meat Eaters, will feature Recipe Monday. It will feature delicious recipes that I've tried along with other vegetarians. Hope this helps. Add me if you like.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    It's more of sticking thru with it. I will continue to eat egg, milk and cheese....you know an An Ovo-lacto vegetarian. I just seem to fall of the wagon easily. I figured I quit smoking 72 days ago and I am doing great why can't I do something even greater that I want to so bad. KWIM?

Are there specific foods that you are having trouble with?
    I am not a vegetarian but I do live, love, and cook for one.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) I started off with watching videos on how animals are slaughtered on Youtube, Meet Your Meat, Earthlings, etc. Those got me off the eating meat wagon very quickly.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat any meat. It's pretty straightforward.

This might help, though: http://features.peta.org/VegetarianStarterKit/
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I went veggie and never looked back, I just started replacing my meats with tofu and beans... friend me if you would like, I talk about my food all the time :)
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Watch the movie Forks Over Knives and you may get all the motivation you need. And perhaps instead of going full vegetarian, begin by choosing 2 days a week for all vegetarian dishes. Even those small changes will do wonders for your health.

Totally agree! I am working on going to a whole foods, plant-based diet; this movie helps a lot. Also, I'm now reading "The China Study," a book by one of the doctors (Campbell) in the movie. It's amazing his research findings. Somebody recommended a book "Going Vegan," which I haven't started but looks good. Good luck!:smile:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    No.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    If you've struggled to do it, perhaps your heart really isn't into it. Why do it, then?
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Vegan over a decade and my diary is open to my friends.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian one day.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I can't remember what it was like at first, it's been that long. I do recall dining out to be a challenge at first, though. So, check out some recipe apps/websites to get excited about it. I like the allrecipes app.

I think we need more information on what your specific challenge is. Do you work at a BBQ place or steakery?
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I agree with this poster. I tried the vegetarian thing and thought it would be pretty easy because I've never been a meat lover, but I did miss things like chicken, so now I try to eat vegetarian 2-3 days a week!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian my entire life so it isnt particularly difficult for me. Why do you always go back to eating meat? For me i dont even think of that stuff as options.... at all. Im not tempted to be like "Oh chicken pasta!" i am just like "Oooh pasta".

*Shrug*

Why do you want to be vegetarian anyway? If its because you think it is wrong- and you are able to to continue to eat meat.. maybe you should reevaluate how you really feel about it. I think people are able to disregard that they are eating a dead animal because you dont actually see the animal- you just see a meal or a dish.

If its for health reason- decide whats important to you. Health or eating Bacon wrapped cheese sticks.

Just Sayin
  • pcox0624
    Options
    Fellow vegetarian here!!!!!

Welcome and please stick with it this time. I am a very serious animal lover and know that the process of slaughter is very, very cruel! Also, it's so much more healther. There are so many different variations of meatless "meat"! Vegan hamber patties, vegan sausage, vegan....well, everything!!!!! Vegan meat substitues have so much less fat than regular meat!

Good luck in your vegetarian journey, I am happy for you:)
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian and I have been so for the last 9-10mths. If you truly want to stay away from meat, watch "Food Inc" on netflix, also "Forks over Knives". I watched it and I have not had a piece of meat in my mouth since...
  • dance_fit
    dance_fit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You need to know why you want to be a vegetarian. I went vegetarian because of animals in 2004 and haven't looked back because to me a burger or piece of chicken isn't worth eating when I see it as the product of suffering animals. I'm transitioning to vegan for the same reason (gave up all dairy last year, eggs are next) .

If you're doing it for health reasons, maybe allow certain meals, or occasions where you will have meat that you enjoy. That way you're never feel like you are "falling off the wagon."
  • renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian (i do eat egg), try to make small changes in your cooking by tossing few veggies in it.. You can do it, do not take all at once, take one at a time, I am sure you will love it!! Feel free to add me on your frnds list.. :-)
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Wow. Scaring oneself into not eating meat?