question about heart rate monitors

Options
how much can i expect/be willing to pay for a HRM? and where can i find one?

i'm a college student, so i can't be breakin the bank...!!!

thanks!

Replies

• abbylove08
    abbylove08 Posts: 215
    Options
    how much can i expect/be willing to pay for a HRM? and where can i find one?

i'm a college student, so i can't be breakin the bank...!!!

thanks!
  • CassieNic
    CassieNic Posts: 223
    Options
    if you do a search of the message boards, youll find lots of threads about them. :happy:
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    my experience is you get what you pay for.. it's best to spend a little more and get a model with a chest strap and a wrist monitor that takes sex, weight, height, age, etc into consideration...

I started out with a Polar F4 - got it off Ebay for about $65

I recently upgraded to the F6 b/c it has an encoded signal and most of my workouts are in the gym and I was getting interference from other ppl's HRMs.. :grumble: I got mine used off craigslist for $75 but they are about 109 on amazon and a little less on Ebay...

hope this helps and good luck to you... be aware they are VERY addicting.. :tongue:
    I :heart: my HRM and how it challenges me to keep the intensity level and calorie burn UP UP UP!!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I bought a Reebok HRM on buy.com for $29.99. It works great. All of the features of the high priced HRMs at a fraction of the price. Comes with chest strap/ wrist watch monitor. You imput your age/ weight/ sex/ height/ normal activity level. It gives you cals burned, fat burned, % of max HR, etc... All of the features you need for total fitness.
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I bought the Reebox also (at buy.com for 29.99 with free shipping). I got it a week ago and love the thing! It gives a better account of calories burned and tells you how hard you're working yourself for your heart rate. I think the key is getting that chest strap. Everything I've read about them says the chest strap makes them way more accurate! :wink:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the above. You can find a less expensive one that works, but it must come with the chest strap. I have a watch one...so disappointing.:grumble: