JIF OMG!

Options
Did you know ONE little tub of JIF peanut butter (to-go) has 22g of fat? Wow! And I thought it was a healthy alternative! Am I missing something here?!

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Peanuts have quite a bit of fat, actually. Some other nut butters have a bit less. Compare how much is in one of those tubs, though. Is it technically one serving or is it really two?
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Just discovered powdered peanut butter. 45 calories per 2 tablespoons.

bellplantation.com
    fitnutzbutter.com
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Fat is NOT bad for you (save artificial trans fats). It's just calorically dense.

However, non natural PB does contain artificial trans fats. I stick to Skippy natural myself.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    You are missing that the fat is healthy fat.
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    before I fell allergic to Peanuts I use to love fat free peanut butter (JIF); give it a try. It's just as filling.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    How many servings is that little tub? 2tbsp have 16 fat grams. (found on a bottle of simply Jif)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    At least it's mostly healthy fat! Can you just eat half and save half for the next day?
  • smiles4support
    Options
    I eat Adams natural peanut butter, still high in cals, but I guess it's a better alternative.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

bellplantation.com
    fitnutzbutter.com

LOVE PB2...just ate some with my apple! Its delicious!!!!!!!
  • carriebostic
    Options

bellplantation.com
    fitnutzbutter.com

Powdered Peanut Butter?
  • Hab1978
    Hab1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know! I actually brought that to have on a sandwich for lunch today. I purchased the smaller containers so that it would be portioned controlled, but when I logged it in today, I was amazed at the fat!! It does have 9 grams of protein though and it seems like peanut butter does well keeping me full longer. I'm going to go ahead and eat it today, but not so sure I'll do it again. :-/
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It may be high in fat...but its a GOOD fat for you. :)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I use natural PB, the kind you get grinded in the machines at the store.. it does have fat, but its a healthy fat and there is no added stuff to it, just Peanuts
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    Fat isn't bad for you. It's an essential nutrient. Saturated fat is bad for you, though, and I avoid it as best as I can. Peanut butter is a healthy food if eaten in moderation, and contains many heart-healthy fats.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I buy Smucker's natural peanut butter. No sugar-just peanuts and a touch of salty goodness. ;)

PB is high in fat, but fats don't make you fat. Eating too many calories of ANY kind is what makes you fat. Your body needs some fat. Many foods that are "low fat" have a lot of added sugars, salt, etc. and are highly processed.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    I've read that peanut butter is healthier then butter. It's not bad fat, it's a natural fat
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

bellplantation.com
    fitnutzbutter.com

Chocolate peanut butter powder? What sorcery is this?
  • carriebostic
    Options
    It says one tub is one serving. I wish they made a natural or fat free in the to-go tubs because I like to eat it by itself with no bread or anything as a snack... so I do eat the whole tub. LoL
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Fat is NOT bad for you (save artificial trans fats). It's just calorically dense.

THIS! I know, it's hard to get over your fear of fat when "dieting" but it is good for you and necessary especially for brain function. I struggle to get 20-25g a day which is <20% so I'm always looking to add more.

Natural peanut butter was just too hard for me - like it physically cannot spread but it's good for smoothies. I really like Kraft's Whipped Version, so smooth and only 70 cals vs 80 cals for their light version.

I need the fat so I haven’t bought any more PB2 - I did once to try it, paying 3x the price for peanut butter also was a big deterrent.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat is bad for you, though, and I avoid it as best as I can.

No, it's not.