Need helping/suggestions with this recipe

Options
mfoster1019
mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
I am making these cupcakes (recipe below) that I found on skinnytaste.com. I don't make cupcakes that are somewhat from scratch, as this recipe is so this is new for me. The flavor is supposed to be pink lemonade, obviously. I'm just not sure how much of the pink lemonade flavor is really going to come through from the drink mix and lemon zest. I was toying with adding some of the lemon juice from the lemon, but I have no idea how much or if it would be too much. I don't want it overly lemony, but I want to make sure there is enough flavor so it doesn't taste like just a plain vanilla type cupcake. I guess I could add a bit more drink mix? What are your suggestions? And if you've made this recipe just as it is listed, did it have enough of the pink lemonade flavor?

Pink Lemonade Confetti Cupcakes
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 24 • Size: 1 cupcake • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
Calories: 97.4 • Fat: 2.3 g • Carbs: 17.3 g • Fiber: 0 g • Protein: 1.0 g • Sugar: 9.8
Sodium: 103.7 (without salt)

Ingredients:

18.25 oz box confetti cake mix, I used Duncan Hines
2 1/2 tsp powdered sugar-free pink lemonade mix
1 cup water
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
lemon zest from half of a lemon
2 drops pink food coloring (optional)
confetti sprinkles, optional

Replies

• ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd add lemon juice to the batter. Lemon juice seems like a much different flavor than pink lemonade mix, and it might change the whole flavor of the cupcake. Try starting with the recipe as is, but then taste the batter to see how it tastes. Add more if needed. You can always add more if necessary, but you can't take it out once it's in there!
  • VRieger02
    Options
    I've never made the recipe but I would start with the recommended amounts and taste the batter and add more of the powdered drink mix in small amounts until the batter tasted like I wanted it.

I've tried this method with other recipes and it seemed to work well.