do you ever need to adjust your #'s?

Options
Hi relatively new here (Jan. 2nd) and love the site. I'm doing well. I have list 5lbs. I was 140 when I started now 137.looking to get to 120. My settings are to lose 1/2lb per week.

My question is as I continue to exercise and lose weight do I need to adjust me calorie intake #'s? I eat back by exercise calories. I have noticed the last few days I am hungry all the time, where I was not before (the first week I was but my calories were too low @ 1,200.) I adjusted to 1,310 and was fine until yesterday. Yesterday & today I am starving. I am drinking lots of water and my eating isn't different from the last 2 weeks.

Am I just hungry for some reason or maybe now my metabolism has increased & with lower weight maybe different TDEE?

Any advice from some veteran's would be great.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    From a strictly numerical standpoint, yes you do. Your TDEE is impacted by a number of things, weight and lifestyle being 2 of them. As those things change, so does your TDEE, which should be the basis for your daily caloric goals.

That said, I'm not sure how quickly the body changes or how sensitive it is to change.

I'm curious to see what others have to say.
  • 50andfree
    Options
    I would also check your protein and make sure you are getting enough. My daughter (who is a personal trainer) always recommends a snack after exercising to rebuild muscle/engery.

Hope this helps.
  • mdulanto9177
    Options
    I also find myself more hungry than ever! Last night I woke up at 12:30am and was hungry...so I ate a handful of walnuts...Should I adjust my #'s so I can eat more thru out the day?
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump...Ive been going through the same. Nice to hear more comments
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, as you enter lower weights, MFP will readjust your #s automatically. I lost a few lbs and I went down 30 calories.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would look at your numbers every 10 pounds or so. As you lose weight you need fewer calories.
    For a second opinion, check out the calculators at www.weightrainer.net
  • Mirth
    Mirth Posts: 77
    Options
    I just hit the 10lb mark on weight loss today and MFP asked if I wanted to recalculate my numbers. Doing it more often than every 10lbs might be a little over finicky.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Is it TOM? I always get super hungry when my visitor comes...
  • sjackson1717
    sjackson1717 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I joined a bootcamp class (3 days out of the week) on Dec. 13th or so and my trainer told me about MFP. I Love this site.

My trainer put me on 1200 calories a day. At first it was a challege, I though only 1200 caloreis that's impossible! but it isn't . I did my research on food and now I make every calorie count and I am doing very well I'd say. The only time I find my self starving outta my mind is when I am PMSing. I fight like crazy not to eat more then I should. I try to break out my food in to portions to try to trick myself into thinking I am eating more. Some days it works and some are a struggle to the finish. Also "Bloat-Away" by Irwin Naturals has helped me during these few days when I feel bloated and yucky.

When I started MFP I weighed 164.4 and today I weigh 151.1. Not bad for 7 weeks. I NEVER eat back my exercise calories. When I hit the 10lbs lost marker MFP adjusted my 1200 to 1250 and I reset it back to 1200. Sadly I am not a Doctor nor a trainer so I cannot advise you what to do just wanted to share with you what works for me. Good Luck on your weight loss journey.
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    I would look at what you are eating rather than how much you are eating. If you want to adjust numbers, change the amount of carbs/protein/fat in your diet. more protein, less carbs will keep you feeling full longer. The default numbers on MFP are carb heavy and protein light.
  • Otrepsi
    Otrepsi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for random hungry days, as I can always attribute the reason to something. There's only two reasons I'll have ravenous days, the first being a hard workout day. The second (which always irritates me because it's sneaky) is TOM. For a period of about 48 hours, 3 days before the gross part starts, I will want to eat EVERYTHING. This has been my body's way of doing it for years, and even with various methods of birth control that mess with my hormones and change the timing around, when it's that time, it happens. Even when I'm on BC where I don't actually have my period, about once a month my body will tell me I would have been about that time.

Sorry if TMI, but I too thought the ravenous days were random until I actually started paying attention to the timing.