Diet soda ?

Options

Replies

• tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad if you don't over do it. I have a mini can of diet pepsi everyday and I've still lost weight. I just think drinking multiple cans a day can cause water retention and bloating. I drink diet pepsi instead of diet coke because it has WAY less caffine in it and I'm not trying to get addicted to caffine. Regular pop tastes like syrup to me now because it's so sugary. I don't know how anyone can drinks tons of regular pop. Way too much sugar in it!
  • valleygirl20
    Options
    what about Coke zero????????????????????
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    All soda's diet or otherwise are bad.
  • tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Really there are worse things, like smoking and drinking. If a can a pop a day is really important to you then drink it! You don't wanna go insane completely. It's bad enough i can't eat sweets anymore. I was a huge dessert person before eating good.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Diet or not, its very low in pH and tears away the enamel of your teeth.

Hmm. I'm tempted to go buy a diet coke right now and stick my pH meter in it. In fact.... I think I'll do just that. Excuse me. I'll be back in a few. (Don't tell health and safety I'm taking diet coke into the lab).
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Is it really that bad ? I know water or tea is a better choice but i have been hearing lately how even diet soda can make you gain weight/prevent you from loosing weight.

Diet drinks are worse for you than just drinking regular sugar drinks. Here why:

The sugars in Diet drink trick your brain into thinking you have had something sweet, when it realizes you havent it makes you crave sugar more. Also the sweeteners in them are un-natural and just bad for you. If you have to have a soda drink the regular ones or the new throwbacks with natural sugars.
  • beckyobsm
    beckyobsm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What my nutritionist told me is:

Diet soda has artificial sweetener that is many times sweeter than natural sugar and sugar is a natural energy source for your body (obviously over indulging is not good). So when you ingest Diet sodas with no natural energy source for your body it starts to crave the energy it thought it was getting, so you tend to overeat and crave high calorie (carbs and sugars) as a result. I have switched to water and occasionally crystal light tea which still has artifical sweetener.

And I have just realized how true this is. I have been doing battle with sugar and 4 days ago cut out sugar and artificial sweeteners and can feel my head clearing. I'm excited to see the impact that it will have on my weightlloss and LIFE for that matter.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I drink it from time to time, in moderation, like everything else.
    When I do, I try to get caffeine free and low sodium diet sodas.
  • beckyobsm
    beckyobsm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Diet or not, its very low in pH and tears away the enamel of your teeth.

Hmm. I'm tempted to go buy a diet coke right now and stick my pH meter in it. In fact.... I think I'll do just that. Excuse me. I'll be back in a few. (Don't tell health and safety I'm taking diet coke into the lab).

my dentist confirmed this this morning. And so did my most recent check-up. not good and NOT WORTH IT!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,693 Member
    Options
    I cut soda out all together and it's killing me. If I want to cheat I have dr.pepper 10. Diet soda is horrible for you though, it has twice the amount of acid that regular soda does. My dentist said if I am going to drink soda he would rather it be regular so I am not acid bathing my teeth, lol.
    Where is the information that states that diet soda has more acid than regular soda?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I do see that you are shooting down everyone's thoughts on this information, where are your peer reviewed articles to actually inform us of what is correct?
    Just a few. There is much more from other reputed Journals of study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15510910
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8168806
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

IDEA Fitness member
  • sandredee937
    sandredee937 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i used to drink 5 ta 6 20oz bottles of regular pepsi a day.. now i drink diet root beer instead.. i just HATE water, ive tried to switch many times and just cant seam to do it... it hasnt stoped me from losing weight
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    Diet Soda has a lot of sodium in it, so it creates some water retention. That is water weight.

diet coke = 40mg sodium
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink it anymore due to the same unanswered questions. When I want a mixed drink or just a fizzy drink I have been drinking soda or soda made with lime. No calories and no artificial sweetners either. Sparkling water with fruit flavors are good too. Faygo makes them pretty inexpensive. V8 juice, light orange juice and teas are the other things I drink besides tons of water with lemon. I only use skim milk for my coffee now. You get used to it.

Oh and by the way, I did have a brain tumor. It was removed 4 yeaqrs ago. Why I got it? I will never know but I did drink diet pop before that. Just sayin. I suppose we will never know. They tell me it could come back or it might not. What would you do?
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I switched to regular soda after years of only drinking diet - because of rumors of how unhealthy it is - I gained a bunch o weight, FAST. I'm drinking WAY more water now, and only have a few diet sodas a week, and try to drink tea to get my caffeine fix whenever I can.

I'll choose sweetened tea (with sugar) over diet if I can (and I log it!) but the tea here at work is just nasty.

I guarantee the pesticides found in food and genetically modified food is funkier than artificial sweetener. And unless you're buying all organic, fresh foods, you're probably taking a lot of that stuff in!
  • michellelay
    Options
    The artificial sweetener in the diet soda is terrible for you. Try your best to stay away from it.

If you have any type of headaches at all the artificial sweetener is probably to blame.

This is a pretty good article about the pros and cons of artificial sweetners: http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/article.htm

Yes, the artificial sweeteners are terrible for you! They do cause head aches. Your body does not recognize the artificial sweetener.
  • barbiebarkley
    Options
    i drink 1 diet dr.pepper(i even drink a regular dr.pepper every know and then).and i think its alright in moderation!!i have a diet dr.pepper everyday damn near!!and i think if you want one drink one.its your diet and if you deprive yourself,ur liable to go over the edge.so drink what you like.if it is in ur calorie count who cares!!!to each there own!!!good luck and be kind to yourself!!!!
  • aparker36
    aparker36 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think anything in moderation is fine. If you want to pep up your water use the MIO water enhancer, it has less then 2% artificial sweetener, and the flavors are super yummy, and you put two small squirts in it!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What people need to realize is that the chemicals found in diet soda are the same in many "natural" foods you eat. The body DOESN'T distinguish chemicals differently from source to source. It take the chemical introduced then breaks it down accordingly regardless of the source. So whether it's phenylalanine is in diet soda.......................but also in breast milk. Weird huh?

IDEA Fitness member
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    if you're sensitive to artificial sweeteners. Stuff is vilified though, often through anecdotal evidence.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yes, the artificial sweeteners are terrible for you! They do cause head aches. Your body does not recognize the artificial sweetener.
    Myth.

IDEA Fitness member