I want to test for my Max Heart Rate & VO2 Max

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No a Life Fitness treadmill does not have a test to estimate HR Max from sub max values. The 5 min test is not bad, but it is subject to the same HR variabity issues, ie if your actual HR max is higher than the age-predicted estimate, it will underestimate VO2 max. And it is useless if you are on any meds that lower heart rate. The test is best done with a chest strap HR transmitter so you don't have to hold on to the handrails. But it is easy and simple and does provide a decent estimate for those whose HR max is closer to "average".
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    No a Life Fitness treadmill does not have a test to estimate HR Max from sub max values. The 5 min test is not bad, but it is subject to the same HR variabity issues, ie if your actual HR max is higher than the age-predicted estimate, it will underestimate VO2 max. And it is useless if you are on any meds that lower heart rate. The test is best done with a chest strap HR transmitter so you don't have to hold on to the handrails. But it is easy and simple and does provide a decent estimate for those whose HR max is closer to "average".

See, I need to test the treadmills at the gym to find out those types of things, unless you think manuals admit what they are doing honestly.

One of the trainers at the gym gave me the trainer code several of the newer treadmills are programmed with, to get to some of the enhanced programs. They have a range of very old to perhaps old equipment, maybe some is newer, I doubt it though.

You think those serial numbers are like most, first couple digits are date code, or letters are?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

See, I need to test the treadmills at the gym to find out those types of things, unless you think manuals admit what they are doing honestly.

One of the trainers at the gym gave me the trainer code several of the newer treadmills are programmed with, to get to some of the enhanced programs. They have a range of very old to perhaps old equipment, maybe some is newer, I doubt it though.

You think those serial numbers are like most, first couple digits are date code, or letters are?

The 5-minute test is definitely based on sound science--or at least accepted science for a single-stage submaximal exercise test. The Life Fitness documentation is not textbook-quality explanation, but it does provide some detail about testing and exercise program protocols.

What I was referring to is the same HR - variability that confounds all submax tests, HRM calorie estimates, "zone training" guidelines, etc. A submax test compares HR response to a measured workload and then projects the workload that one would be able to achieve if one went to true max effort. The projection is based, as you know, on the linear relationship between HR and VO2 and it uses age-predicted HR max as the endpoint. So, obviously, if one's true HR max is 20 bpm higher than the age-predicted estimate, the test will project "max effort" at a much lower heart rate and thus underestimate VO2 max. And vice versa. How do you know it's underestimating? Well, that's where experience and observation come in.

We use the Life Fitness 5-min test for our fitness assessments, mainly because it is safe and easily tolerated by a wide range of members. When I started in my current position, I did my own little "validation" study with several of my co-workers. I tested them with 3 different protocols: a multistage cyling test, a 1-mile run field test, and the LF 5-min treadmill test. The projected VO2 max numbers I got on all 3 tests were within 2-3 ml/kg/min of each other, which is more than acceptable. The numbers I got for myself were entirely consistent with my workout performance at the time.

Most of the test protocols and the workout programs on LF cardio products have not changed much at all in the last 15 years, maybe longer, so it is likely that those programs are the same across the board, unless you have some really old stuff. If you wanted to check the sell date of a cardio piece, the easiest thing to do is call 1-800-351-3737 (LF Tech Support), push the button for parts ordering or technical support and give them the serial number. I don't know of any special significance or coding of the serial numbers. Usually the first 3 letters represent a new model and the last 6 digits is the cumulative total of units produced. So, if the serial number is "TGT 001893" the "TGT" would refer to a specific model version, and the number means it's the 1893rd of that type produced.